Please add the "Start" button back to the Desktop for Windows 8 by n bruce brown

Resolved
 as External Help for as External

Type: Suggestion
Opened: 2/29/2012 5:43:44 PM

I just installed the windows 8 consumer preview. where is the Start button? It really shouldn't be removed for backwards compatibility.
Posted by ONto1 on 2/23/2014 at 1:41 PM
This issue is not resolved. I am ashamed at Microsoft and its new attitude. Just leave it alone if it worked. The Start menu is very useful and Metro is not. finding a program takes at least 3 times as long and the interface it very difficult to use.
Posted by PedroFLN on 5/16/2013 at 4:33 AM
Do you want the "start" button back ? Just follow the instructions in this article and you'll see how:

Posted by Antoine Davous on 1/26/2013 at 10:16 AM
1. With Windows 7, I usually have plenty of recent used files names 'associated' to their applications - it is very handy to open start menu, to fly over Excel, and get the list of recent opened Excel files - and it's true for as many software as Office ones, Remote Desktop, PuTTY, Notepad, etc, etc... I can't imagine using Windows without that kind of feature.
As everybody pointed out, Metro home page is not usable for an intensive desktop work with many software, files and/or windows opened as the same time.
2. My actual job requires to work on many software at the same time. I am working with two LCD displays and probably soon, four. Metro apps which are using plenty of room with beautiful background pictures and large fonts is really an inutile waste of (display) resources.
My (bad) feeling is that Windows 8 is coming back (like tablets with probably good reasons) to mono-tasks computer : do you remenber when running some calculation charts full screen and when done, closing it, running Word to open a graphical display, and then closing it, etc... Multi-tasks and windows were an improvement ; Windows 8 name product should be changed to Window 1 ?
Posted by mr mike on 1/23/2013 at 11:51 AM
I have always had Respect for microsoft and it's software and operating Systems. Leaving out an alternative start button and desktop is going to backfire on Microsoft. I just went back to Windows Seven, Operating systems are not supposed to be like a google App...Sorry you guys, you made a bad choice
Posted by Uwe S on 12/22/2012 at 4:02 PM
Dear Ladies and Gentlemen, Windows without the Start Button is probably the worst idea you could have realised. The good side is that you kept the Desktop, even though you invented the very uncharming Charms. But without the Start Button the Desktp becomes almost completely useless. Your are testing nerves of customers.
I just bought this Windows 8 product on a new Laptop. I realise, I should have stayed with the Mac (yes!!) of my wife. I use Microsoft in the Office and had Mac at home and switched back to Mircosoft in order to make use of Excel and to find my files in the Windows explorer. I believe I have made a huge mistake.

Do you remember Schlitz beer? They disappeared because of misguided product management.

I hope very much that you will at least give your customers the Chance of having a choice. Would be very much appreciated.
Thank you.
Posted by Stephen Fung on 12/7/2012 at 7:13 AM
I think it make sense to get rid of the Start button with a tablet but on a desktop with keyboard and mouse, we should at least have the option to enable it. Please bring back the start button.
Posted by Michigan Jim on 11/28/2012 at 4:59 AM
I completely agree with Mr. Kriesten. After installing Windows 8 I was so frustrated with not having the Start Button, I tried going back to Windows 7, but the manufacturer's installation software not longer worked. So I can either buy a new copy of Windows 7 (still available?) or tolerate Windows 8. I have no use for the Metro Start screen.
Posted by Arnold Kriesten on 8/16/2012 at 7:24 PM
There is no good reason in the world I can think of why the Windows start button was removed from the Windows desktop. To work efficient you need a start button! On a desktop PC a touchscreen UI does not make sense, or at least let the user decide what UI interface he prefers to be default. Hope the start button is back soon.
Posted by jonblauch [Feedback Moderator] on 3/19/2012 at 8:26 AM
n bruce brown - appreciate the feedback, but it has landed in the wrong spot. I would visit the Win8 Dev Center and go into the community discussions area ( http://dev.windows.com). Microsoft has service professionals in those forums listening for suggestions and bugs.

Jon - Msft
Posted by Versadyne on 3/14/2012 at 12:02 PM
I agree completely.

Having to leave Desktop to use Search is silly. It's a jarring change just to start Device Manager or to run the Snipping Tool. I don't want to pin things like these onto my start bar; I just want to type them in.

Metro Apps are great on a tablet; not so much on a desktop, and especially multi-monitor.
Posted by Michael262 on 3/7/2012 at 6:42 PM
Not only do you need to bring back the start button, you really need the option to use the Windows 7 UI. There are a lot of us that us the search feature a lot. When I want to go to check on services, or device manager , I would rather just use the search rather than trying to find it in the UI. I believe if Microsoft does not offer the Windows 7 UI , Windows 8 will be another Vista. Most people are NOT going to upgrade to Windows 8.
Posted by sef193 on 3/1/2012 at 2:24 PM
I agree so much. Windows is supposed to be an operating system... not a facebook app.

People need to use computers for work.
Posted by Orion088 on 3/1/2012 at 11:03 AM
The Windows desktop Start button is one of the most useful tools for many of us to easily use and manage our Windows operating system, so I don`t see any reason why it should not be in Windows 8. Please bring the software Start "button" back and keep Windows easy to use for us in the future as well.
Posted by a6n6d6y on 3/1/2012 at 9:35 AM
ditto, I think it would better to be able to go into 'desktop mode' with a windows 7 start menu instead switching back and forth between metro and desktop. the metro is great when using touch while on the go, but when using keyboard and mouse the traditional interface is more comfortable.
Posted by JEBStuart on 3/1/2012 at 2:06 AM
Yes, please! On a non-touch laptop or desktop, it is ridiculous to get dumped into the metro interface instead of having a start menu. I know many users still leave their traditional desktops cluttered with dozens of icons, a la Windows 98. I thought the start menu, especially in Windows 7, was a tremendous improvement in organization/customization; I never have even a single icon on my desktop. With Metro, it feels like some of the best MS innovations of the past 15 years are being removed from Windows. The absence of a start menu is particularly troubling because the search box is also gone, so I can't simply hit the windows key and start typing my app name. Instead, I have to go through the Metro interface designed for touch screens. No, I am not going to get used to it. I may use Windows 8 server for the storage innovations, but will stick with 7 on PCs and laptops.
Posted by mjeson on 4/29/2014 at 2:52 PM
www.classicshell.net is a workaround. Dear new Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, please bring back Start button. Having non-native start button like this is definitely less secure.