IE11 Developer Tools' Network tab causes freeze by Snowknight26

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 9/19/2013 11:02:26 AM
Duplicates: 805671 808031 808043 808301 809485 811402 811517 815936

Opening the Developer Tools then clicking Network causes the Developer Tools to freeze.
Posted by Spivonious on 4/23/2014 at 10:01 AM
Sorry MS, I didn't get a notification that a comment was posted. The issue I described seems to have resolved itself (possible that an automated update fixed it).

I'm on Windows 7 SP1, IE 11.0.9600.16521, Update Version 11.0.4 (KB2925418)
Posted by Microsoft on 4/17/2014 at 3:45 PM
Thank you for the follow up fk_123321, we are glad to hear the issue is now resolved. We appreciate you posting your configuration & specs this can be helpful if someone else reports that they still experience the issue after installing 2936597.
At this time we will close this feedback out as resolved with 2936597.

Best regards,
The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by fk_123321 on 4/16/2014 at 11:00 PM
Microsoft: I reinstalled Windows 7 one week ago, installed new graphic drivers and last version of IE and it seems to be fixed.

Before reinstallation, I was running on Win 7 Pro 64bit, latest version of IE 10 / IE 11 (I installed / uninstalled IE 11 maybe 10 times because of that bug), with all windows and microsoft updates installed. HW: Core i7-2720QM + NVIDIA NVS 4200M, 3x Full HD display. 1st powered by integrated GPU, 2nd and 3rd powered by NVIDIA (NVIDIA Optimus enabled)
Posted by Microsoft on 4/11/2014 at 2:40 PM
Hello Snowknight26 and Connect community,

We would like to follow up on this issue to share that we did release a fix for this in the March cumulative update. As Snowknight has pointed out the fix is listed in the KB https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2936597 .

@Spivonious and @fk_123321 could you post your IE versions? Also have you installed the latest update http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2929437 . Also are you on Windows 7 or Windows 8.1?
Best regards,
The Internet Explorer Team.
Posted by Spivonious on 3/25/2014 at 8:37 AM
If I try to have two F12 windows capturing network traffic, the second one disappears without any message. So I guess still an issue, but nowhere near as frustrating as it was.
Posted by fk_123321 on 3/13/2014 at 11:10 PM
Tried again and bug is still there. When I open 1st IE window, everything seems to be fine, I can also open a few more tabs in that window. The bug occurs when I open 2nd window of IE. And then when I close all IE windows and open new one, I cannot do anything because it's frozen...
Posted by Spivonious on 3/13/2014 at 7:55 AM
It seems that the 11.0.4 update fixed this for me. I haven't had a crash all morning.
Posted by fk_123321 on 3/13/2014 at 5:52 AM
2 Snowknight26: I tested it yesterday and the bug is still there on my machine. And this issue has Status: Active, so I think, that there is no fix yet.
Ruben Rios told us that "fix coming soon" one month ago. Does anybody know what "soon" means in Guatemala? Is it next year, year after next year or never?
Posted by Snowknight26 on 3/12/2014 at 1:39 PM
Can't seen to reproduce it after the latest cumulative security update that bumped the version up to 11.0.4 (11.0.9600.16521): https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2925418 or more specifically https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2936597

Tested 3 machines and neither of them exhibit the issue. Anyone able to confirm the change?
Posted by Snowknight26 on 3/11/2014 at 9:59 AM
Of course they are.
Posted by Spivonious on 3/11/2014 at 7:02 AM
Oh, and I'm a standard user. I hear that admin users aren't having the issue.
Posted by Spivonious on 3/11/2014 at 7:01 AM
Software rendering did not help, disabling add-ons did not help. It's possible that it's graphics-related. I'm running an old Radeon 4200 here and get the freeze every other time. Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64, AMD Phenom II X3 B75, 8GB RAM.
Posted by Diego.Marauder on 3/6/2014 at 9:56 AM
What's up Microsoft? Are you going to fix this bug?
Posted by downsky on 2/25/2014 at 6:15 AM
Same bug, this frozen of IE F12 then will cause a Image retention when click a Right menu!!!
Posted by fk_123321 on 2/13/2014 at 10:08 PM
Grrr, my "solution" is not working well. I'm able to use network tab only in one IE window/tab with software rendering. When I open new IE window/tab, it freezes again. But it's better than with GPU rendering in my case.
Posted by Snowknight26 on 2/13/2014 at 7:59 AM
fk_123321, you're right, still not fixed. Tested on a different machine and the issue still occurs.

For shame, devs, for shame.
Posted by fk_123321 on 2/13/2014 at 6:25 AM
I've a solution. :-)
I cannot disable NVIDIA Optimus, because I use 3 monitors. So I tried to force iexplore.exe to use NVIDIA GPU in NVIDIA Control Panel - this is not working.
In my case, solution is to disable GPU rendering in IE (menu Tools - Internet Options - Advanced - Use software rendering...)
Posted by hshh on 2/13/2014 at 2:43 AM
11.0.3 still bug.
Workaround, switch from integrated graphic to dedicated for IE, if you are using tech like nvidia optimus and can not increase integrated graphic vram.
Posted by fk_123321 on 2/12/2014 at 11:15 PM
Snowknight26: it isn't fixed on my computer. I've all latest updates installed.
I installed IE11, then all updates (no updates are pending after restarts) and when I ran IE for the first time, opened F12 tools and clicked network tool, it froze immediately.
Posted by Snowknight26 on 2/12/2014 at 3:16 PM
Upon a quick reexamination, it seems as if one of the patches on 2014-02-11 fixed the hang. Outside verification would be appreciated, though.
Posted by RubenRios on 2/10/2014 at 10:11 AM
Hello everyone! Thanks so much for reaching out. We certainly understand how frustrating this has been for a lot of you and I’m here with a bit of good news… I can’t talk about date but we have a fix coming soon. 
Posted by wine_den on 2/6/2014 at 4:44 AM
I seems like the issue depends on amount of video memory somehow. If I set the amount of memory for integrated video card to 256MB the issue can be reproduced with every click to Network tab but if I set the amount of video memory to 512MB, the issue almost disappear and the developer tools may run pretty good for several days.
Posted by Jeremiah-Swanson on 2/5/2014 at 1:17 PM
This has been a problem for months now! Come on MS! This is a major problem for a developer that would like to use ie11 as the networking tab is used daily.
Posted by fk_123321 on 2/5/2014 at 4:21 AM
Microsoft, do you have any news about this issue?
Posted by corydeppen on 1/30/2014 at 8:54 PM
This is pathetic. Not only am I unable to open the dev tools, I can't fix it using the lame registry hack workaround because my corporate IT group has disabled registry editing, even for developers. So I'm completely dead in the water testing on IE and I have a cheesy context menu item ghost floating in the middle of my screen now. Worst part is this has been a bug for months! Someone please remind me why folks even bother using IE anymore.
Posted by jedveatch on 1/30/2014 at 6:36 AM
Hi, I am able to reproduce this issue only if I run a web project from Visual Studio without debugging (Ctrl+F5). If I start IE11 manually, I cannot reproduce. Also, running the web project from Visual Studio in debug mode (F5) does not reproduce the issue. It's only when running without debugging. Hope that helps.
Posted by Lorendin on 1/30/2014 at 3:21 AM
Are there any news about this issue? Any chance/workaround to use the network tools on Win7/Server 2008R2 before an official fix is available?
Posted by QuarterPound on 1/23/2014 at 9:24 AM
Here are the details of the crash window when I close the "not responding" F12. It brings up the "this program has stopped working". When I click on details, here's what I get:

Description:
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
Additional Hang Signature 3:    1e5520b0afb13670f0d4d93cb19d0d4e
Additional Hang Signature 4:    aae9
Additional Hang Signature 5:    aae9d7658c5e59ba5df6c190b75b7698
Additional Hang Signature 6:    1e55
Additional Hang Signature 7:    1e5520b0afb13670f0d4d93cb19d0d4e

Posted by QuarterPound on 1/23/2014 at 9:21 AM
Same issue. VERY frustrating. please fix. Was this not tested!? Come on Microsoft. F12 hangs (not responding) on open (DOM inspector tab) and I have to close it. Sometimes, it opens fine, but when go to network tab, it freezes and I have to close it. Then when I hit F12 again on the page, it doesn't come up at all. I have to close and re-open the entire web page before I can open the F12 tools. I am full admin on machine. Please fix!

win7 x64.
Posted by SudershanNarain on 1/23/2014 at 1:41 AM
I am also havig the same problem . However this does not happen with a account which have admin rights on the mahine . This is happeing for an account with standard user rights !

Anyone observerd this or its just me .
Posted by Todd Hilehoffer on 1/21/2014 at 6:34 AM
This bug makes IE11 unusable for development. I was sort of excited to see the new shiny development tools and thought I would give IE11 a try instead of Firefox and it is busted. Clicking on the network button causes IE11 to freeze up.
Posted by jahman.1964 on 1/16/2014 at 9:16 AM
I have noticed when this happens...and it does often...if you go to task manager and kill all orphan iexplore processes the crashes stop...until they start again, then repeat...

...Also, I too am left with artifacts on the screen that NEVER go away after this crash happens.
Posted by Filippo P on 1/15/2014 at 1:00 AM
I can confirm that the Profiler tab was showing the same issue as the Network tab. From an external developer's perspective, seems some sort of race condition.
Another issue I frequently had is the Search box remaining disabled after a search.

I say "had" because in the end I was force to anticipate my plans to revert back to IE10: the issues were seriously compromising my ability to work (and my peace of mind as well).

I'm sure it's not an easy issue to track down, but it's now open from September 2013. Microsoft, you really have to fix this quickly...
Posted by andersco on 1/14/2014 at 4:14 PM
I'd like to add that when this happens to me I get an artifact from the developer tools UI that hangs around after I close IE. It is always on top and I cannot get rid of it until I reboot windows. Definitely unusable and should never have been released!
Posted by hshh on 1/10/2014 at 3:57 AM
Same here, and not only Network tab, Profiler tab also cause F12 hang.
Here is !analyze -v -hang result, http://pastebin.com/f0RzBta9
Posted by Microsoft on 1/9/2014 at 7:51 AM
Hello Everyone,
This is an issue we are currently reviewing once we have more information we will post an update.
Best regards,
The Internet Explorer Team.
Posted by Filippo P on 1/8/2014 at 8:08 AM
Same here.

It happens on a regular basis, as well as other issues, making the F12 tools highly unusable. I'll probably be forced to switch back to IE10 within a month if things keep being like this.
Posted by fk_123321 on 1/6/2014 at 11:55 PM
Come on Microsoft. This bug makes IE totally unusable for developers...
Posted by Damien B2 on 1/6/2014 at 2:07 PM
IE 11.0.9600.16476, Win 7. Developer Tools basically useless: you are usually one click away from a completely frozen IE.
Posted by Diego.Marauder on 1/6/2014 at 7:39 AM
I second the comment from martin29384. Come on Microsoft - fix this. I like IE but can't use it for development because the F12 tools are basically useless. This should have been addressed two months ago - what's the problem?
Posted by martin29384 on 1/4/2014 at 5:12 AM
Microsoft, do you even care? This is becoming very frustrating. And no, we are not planning to move to Windows 8/8.1 yet, but would still like to be able to work efficiently. F12 has been a great tool before, and the new version shows some good ideas, but given the lack of stability, it makes IE11 absolutely useless for web development. Please fix this!
Posted by jonmall on 12/23/2013 at 1:57 AM
I have the same issue, however; it is not limited to the Network tab in Dev Tools. It does not seem related to any specific tab, but rather, to the entirety of the development tools.
Posted by Snowknight26 on 12/20/2013 at 4:10 PM
Nudonium, the truth is that Microsoft and whoever is now in charge of IE simply doesn't care.

I've submitted a dozen bugs or so well over 3 years ago and some are still open as Active. I've submitted bugs that are present all the way back in IE6 and probably further with not as much as a peep. I've emailed IE engineers, IE program managers, the Windows division VP, etc., trying to get the ball rolling, but eventually all of my communication attempts become ignored. It truly goes to show the attitude towards their products.
Posted by Nudonium on 12/19/2013 at 9:47 AM
I still can't use the network tools and neither can my co-workers. This was confirmed as a bug on 11/8. Can we get an update please? It's been over a month.
Posted by David Ferrante on 12/19/2013 at 9:14 AM
Same issue for me too. IE 11 Dev tools freeze.
Posted by Spivonious on 12/17/2013 at 10:04 AM
Any update on this one? It's very frustrating when debugging a site.
Posted by ivanelias on 12/11/2013 at 6:01 AM
Yes!, Still happen With IE 11 RTM on Windows 7 Please Help
Posted by fk_123321 on 12/11/2013 at 12:11 AM
And another thing is:
when I open Developer Tools, it is saved somewhere. So when I open IE again, Developer Tools are automatically opened immediately after IE starts.
And what happen when Dev Tools crash and take down whole IE? You'll try to start IE again, Dev Tools are automatically opened, so it crashes immediately and it keeps crashing over and over again and whole IE11 is totally unusable. Solution is to uninstall IE11 and downgrade to IE10.
Posted by Mortur on 12/10/2013 at 7:53 AM
Windows update forced me to IE11 last night.

Can't reasonably use the developer tools anymore since this new version came up. Just about every time I hit F12, it will only pull up a blank window, and eventually crash out when I try to click anything.

Please, we need this to work - how can we get around this problem that has existed since the earliest Win7 development previews which were documented but ultimately ignored?
Posted by RMSmirl on 12/10/2013 at 5:43 AM
Does not happen every time, but probably approaching 90%+

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
IE 11.0.9600.16428
Intel Xeon W3520 @ 2.67GHz
6Gb RAM
Posted by Pixelxx on 12/9/2013 at 12:23 AM
Developer tools crash everytime, using anything not only network. It's useless now.

Windows 7 x64
IE 11.0.9600.16428
Posted by Jaquemet Olivier on 11/28/2013 at 2:41 AM
@Microsoft : Do you have any workaround to be able to use the dev tools network panel ?
Posted by Khoa Nguyen Minh on 11/27/2013 at 8:48 PM
I'm still able to replicate it on my win7 64 bits with IE 11 v11.0.9600.16428. Update: RTM (KB2841134)
Posted by metal0xide on 11/22/2013 at 10:09 AM
Can intermittently reproduce this problem. Have to keep going through a task manager > end process > restart IE repeatedly until it clears itself. Doesn't seem to have any connection to the page you are on when you activate developer tools either.

This is across multiple machines, all Windows 7. Pretty irritating as we do not want to downgrade back to IE10.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/8/2013 at 7:20 AM
Hello Snowknight,

We test this also on Win7 IE 11 RTW and we are able to reproduce the issue. We are investigating the issue.

Best regards,
The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by Snowknight26 on 11/7/2013 at 11:59 AM
Still happens with IE11 RTM for Windows 7.
Posted by SleepyDaddySoftware on 11/7/2013 at 8:54 AM
Oh, and I'm running on Windows 7.
Posted by SleepyDaddySoftware on 11/7/2013 at 8:53 AM
Does not occur 100% of the time, but I can reproduce it regularly. I do have fiddler installed also, if that makes a difference, but in this case I didn't have fiddler open and I have all add-ons (including fiddler's add-on) disabled.
Posted by Linr on 4/10/2014 at 1:27 AM
安装补丁 KB2929437,即可解决。
Posted by D0cNet on 3/10/2014 at 6:59 AM
Disable all your add-ons.
Then if you want, enable those you need (one by one).
This worked for me.
Posted by fk_123321 on 2/13/2014 at 6:27 AM
Try to disable GPU rendering in IE (menu Tools - Internet Options - Advanced - Use software rendering...)
Posted by hshh on 2/13/2014 at 2:43 AM
Switch from integrated graphic to dedicated for IE, if you are using tech like nvidia optimus and can not increase integrated graphic vram.
Posted by Khoa Nguyen Minh on 2/11/2014 at 5:33 PM
Could get all tabs in F12 work fine (include Network tab) by disable all extensions. Just start IE with -extoff
Example: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
Posted by wine_den on 2/6/2014 at 4:48 AM
In my case it helps to set greater amount of memory for integrated video card. The issue can be reproduced with every click on networks tab if I set 256MB but it can be hardly repeated if I set 512MB for video card.
Posted by Eegee0 on 1/19/2014 at 1:49 PM
@Jason Barile,
The network inspector actually seems to be lastselectedpluginid=1, DOM Explorer is 5 and console is 4. So don't set it to 1, but either 5 or 4.
Posted by Jason Barile on 1/9/2014 at 8:42 AM
As a temporary workaround, if you get into the state where launching F12 tools immediately hangs because the network inspector is the last-used tool, then you can use this regkey to reset the default tool back to the DOM Explorer:

HKCU\software\Microsoft\f12\lastselectedpluginid = 1