Unable to turn off tabbed browsing by James E. Freedle II

as By Design Help for as By Design

ID: 801954
Opened: 9/23/2013 7:01:26 AM

Up to Internet Explorer 10, I was able to turn off tabbed browsing as the feature was not useful. Beginning in Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 8.1 I am unable to turn this non-needed feature off.
Posted by Microsoft on 10/3/2013 at 12:22 PM
Thank you for your feedback.

At this time we do not plan on making a change to re-introduce the option for disabling tabbed browsing.

Your feedback is helping us see the needs of our users so we can improve the quality of Internet Explorer. We continue to welcome more feedback and look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Best regards,
The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by James E. Freedle II on 9/30/2013 at 1:32 PM
I did not mention about checking Yahoo mail from the web browser (which is something that I NEVER do). Making that change will result in clicking on links opening a new window with tabs rather than opening other tabs. The option to completely turn off tab browsing does not exist in the interface for Internet Explorer 11 as it was in Internet Explorer 10. This feature must be put in place before rolling into production with Internet Explorer 11. I want to continue to complete turn off the useless tab-browsing feature.
Posted by Microsoft on 9/30/2013 at 1:22 PM
Thank you for your feedback regarding opening links from your web email within Internet Explorer.

You can change a setting in Internet Explorer that will result in the links from your Yahoo mail account being opened in a new window rather than a new tab. To do so, click on the Tools icon (the gear shaped icon) to display the tools menu, then select Internet Options. Click the Tabs button on the General tab of the Internet Options dialog. Under the setting titled "When a pop-up is encountered:" choose the radio button "Always open pop-ups in a new window."

Best regards,
The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by Microsoft on 9/23/2013 at 12:37 PM
Thank you for your feedback. We will be investigating this issue further.

Best regards,

The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by Mr. Zan Gief, Attorney at Law on 11/8/2013 at 10:08 PM
I did this first (from the IE team):

Then I programmed my mouse's middle-click as shift+left-click.

Now I am back to normal, sort of. In the older IEs, middle-clicking links would open up new windows for me since I had tabbed browsing disabled.