Internet Exploer 11 Only Allow "Use the light version of Outlook Web App" of Exchange OWA by Nigel H. Lin

as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

Opened: 10/18/2013 10:47:01 AM

I try to browse exchange OWA by using IE 11. The "Use the light version of Outlook Web App" is always checked gray out so it's not able to uncheck. I am not sure if this should be an IE bug or Exchange OWA bug. I believe this is caused by IE 11 change the return string when using .Net to check the browser "Request.Browser.Browser" from returning "IE" to "INTERNETEXPLORER". This might break many sites which use .net to check the browser capability.
Posted by SteveSwaney on 2/13/2014 at 1:04 PM
I had the same problem and figured it out. Pretty simple fix worked for me.

I downloaded and installed Windows 8.1 which upgraded IE to version 11. I couldn't find any help so I played around and found this:

•Select the tab with the email owa page you're trying to access. For example "yourcompany.com"
•In IE, go to the top right corner and select "tools".
•Scroll down and select "compatibility view settings".
•When the box appears, your web page "yourcompany.com" will appear in the top box titled "add this website".
•If the "yourcompany.com" site is correct, select ADD. ( I left both boxes below selected and didn't try it any other way).
•Hit CLOSE.

When I went back to Outlook Web App, the box was no longer greyed out and I could de-select the light version.

Hope this helped! Let me know if it worked.
Posted by Mark Cleary on 12/18/2013 at 8:16 PM
use compatibility view settings and add the OWA URL.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/25/2013 at 8:07 AM
Thanks for your feedback Nigel!

Since we don't have enough information at this time we will close out this feedback item.. If you can let us know the url you're trying to access and the version of the Exchange Server you're connecting to, it would be very helpful. Meanwhile you may be able to get around the problem by using compatibility mode as another poster suggested.

We continue to welcome more feedback, so please don't hesitate to report other ways that we can improve Internet Explorer.

Best regards,

The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by David Oosting on 11/19/2013 at 6:35 AM
I have experienced the same problem following a Windows 7 update the week of 11/04/13. I cannot access the full version of Outlook Web App due to the "Use the light version" box being checked and grayed out. I am tring to access my corporate web mail at: https://mail.ciber.com/. My IE is version 11.0.9600.16428.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/15/2013 at 12:30 PM
Hello Nigel,

Thank you for the feedback. We do have a few questions that will aid us in our investigation.

1)    Can you provide the URL to the OWA server?
2)    What version of OWA \ Exchange is running on the server?

Best regards,
The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by MikJet on 11/12/2013 at 7:21 AM
yes, this is indeed a bug in IE 11. I found a workaround posted by Balássy György in which you need to add the target domain (and any other similarly affected domains) to the compatibility list for IE. You can see how to do this here: http://gyorgybalassy.wordpress.com/2013/07/05/use-owa-in-full-version-with-ie11/

we just tested it on our IE 11 in windows 7 and windows 8.1 and it works.

Michel.