IE 11 back button does not work by themwerd

Active

Opened: 11/6/2013 10:45:23 PM
Duplicates: 801684 808153 809899

I am experiencing an issue where from a google search, I can click on a link to go to that page. If I want to navigate back to the list of searches, I have to press the back button twice. It would appear that there is another page which is a redirect inserted into the process. This doesn't happen when using BING. I am using IE11 on windows 8.1
Posted by Microsoft on 7/22/2014 at 1:16 PM
@Leigh

The compatibility view feature can be found by clicking on the gear icon just below the close window button. Then selecting “Compatibility View settings” then make sure the checkbox for “Use Microsoft compatibility list” is checked and click close.

More info about “Compatibility View settings” can be found here:
Best regards,
The Internet Explorer Team.
Posted by Leigh Bond on 7/21/2014 at 3:39 PM
IE 11 on Windows 8.1 still not working after install of KB2962872 on 2017-07-09. Under the 'View' button there is no choice for compatibility.

This is a problem with both IE 11 and Chrome.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/16/2014 at 4:23 PM
Hello themwerd, Thank you for all of the feedback. The issue reported with this feedback item covered a scenario where the back button had to be pressed twice after performing a Google search due to a redirected page being inserted before the landing page. This issue is resolved with the latest update KB2962872 IE 11.0.9600.17206 and with enabling ‘Use Microsoft compatibility lists’ under Compatibility View Settings. Can you confirm the issue is also resolved on your PC?

@ChasWorth the issue you are mentioning with the http://prettystrap.com website does appear to be a different issue. Each time I click on one of the menu items two entries are made to the travel log. When I replay this page in fiddler and prevent the loading of http://prettystrap.com/themes/the-story/preview/js/the-story.min.js I now see only one travel log entry when I click on the menu tabs. (I am using F12 console and I run history.length each time I click on a menu item). It would appear the code in this script pushes the navigation into the history twice. If you feel this is not an issue with the script on the website please file a new connect bug so we can track this issue.

Best regards,
The Internet Explorer Team.
Posted by ChasWorth on 6/28/2014 at 4:51 AM
Problem still exists in IE 11.0.9600.17126 on Windows 8.1 (fully patched). Not just a Google vs. Bing issue. For example take a look at http://prettystrap.com/themes/the-story/preview/index.html#about . When the page comes up click on the links in the top menu in this order Features -> Assets -> About Us. Then hit the back button to navigate back in reverse order. Note that in IE 11.0.9600.17126 you have to hit the back button twice in order to get back to each previous page. Chrome 35.0.1916.153 m works just fine.
Posted by djh0804 on 6/19/2014 at 4:10 PM
Yep. Been happening for months. Windows 7, windows 8. Common MS, pony up the resources (programmers) and dig into your bread-and-butter apps to get the bugs out! Hmmm, Apple iOS version 5 to version 6 - Free!. version 6 to version 7 free!. Why you're losing customers!
Posted by PatBoySlim on 6/11/2014 at 12:18 AM
This is really annoying to the point I've had to install Chrome/Safari on Users computers because of the complaints
Posted by Milton Galfas on 5/31/2014 at 6:16 AM
If you make any changes to the HOSTS file it stops working in reverse. IE ignores the HOSTS file when moving forward but obeys it in reverse so the advertisement web site works forward but when you attempt to go backwards it cannot connect for the instruction to go back. The ad web site is also listed in your navigation when it should not be listed.

Hope this helps Microsoft fix this. Under Ballmer we were stuck with poor quality consumer products, Microsoft's bread and butter, but hopefully Microsoft will begin to listen to their 1 Billion users and make a better product again.

What is with the no sizing on Windows windows? Isn't the product called Windows? The worst part of Windows 8 is that they tried to make it like Apple with limited user customization. I want windows all over the screen at any size I want.
Posted by RichardO9999 on 5/27/2014 at 5:03 PM
I am using Windows 8 pro and once I browse in IE11 with the Google Search engine, the back up function will not return to the original page with search terms. This has been a nuisance for some weeks and I am just giving up on using IE11 until this is fixed. I generally prefer Google as my search engine over Bing or others. I agree with others posting here----this is a VERY FRUSTRATING problem.
Posted by Diaboloke on 5/27/2014 at 3:09 PM
I tought i was the only one having this issue and was about to reinstall my pc. I am working on the Surface Pro 2 and i use mainly IE explorer because the scale is nice and it goes fast, but now i am realy annoyed i have to retype everything and can't go to search lists with the back button anymore. I would like it to be fixed as soon as possible, like everyone else here.

Thank you in advance.
Posted by rm8385 on 5/17/2014 at 3:17 PM
Are you aware this issue is still present in IE11? You said you were working on a fix 6 months ago, exactly how hard can it be to fix this? The browser is by far the most important aspect of any computer and not being able to navigate the web properly is a huge issue.

IE11 by far looks the best on my Lenovo Yoga 2 because of the hidpi display and lack of support from third party browsers make IE11 one of my few choices when it comes to browsers. IE11 is also the fastest. Please fix this issue!

Windows 8.1 has really annoyed me so far with the lack of settings for scaling hidpi screens and now this. Its edging me closer and closer to a mac!

What I have tried to fix the browser issue:
- reinstalling windows
- turning on and off ie11
- disabling add ons
- disabling hardware rendering
- using Bing (yep even went that far...) the issue also persists using bing however.

When exactly will a fix be available for this?

Posted by gismom951 on 5/17/2014 at 8:06 AM
I just bought a new HP Slimline PC which unfortunately comes with windows 8.1. I expect the functions, like the back button on Internet Explorer, to work. While commenting, I detest these cute buttons to find programs. To use the computer, I want an alphabetical list of installed programs. Someone at Microsoft has seemingly not gotten the message that most users of computers with a Windows operating system use their computers for WORK, not for browsing social media!
Posted by rusty_nutz on 5/8/2014 at 4:32 PM
I'm using IE11 with Windows 8.1 and today the back button has completely stopped working on many of my favourite websites. Completely, 100% dead. Please get your act together, Microsoft :(
Posted by bondt1 on 3/21/2014 at 10:30 AM
I'm wondering if it's a timing or event-listening issue in the code. Below is a link I have to click twice on to escape and there really aren't any pop-ups on the page. More active pages, simple won't back-up and I have to use favorites to directly access the search page and ten have to re-enter the search. This is on a new machine, and I'm not sure it's always been this way. When I first set things up it was pretty snappy. Now 2 weeks later, I'm noticing the lag between pages, more like an older chip. It does seem to be related to Google search. Have not yet tried switching to Mozilla. Mozilla's browser has an add-in that curtails pop-ups in order to allow older machines to keep up with the growing activity and file size slowing down modern web-pages.

Again, it acts a little like it might be an event listening issue or something right after the event is detected, since it receives the click but gets stuck.

I'm using an 4/8-core/thread processer. Wouldn't expect that to be an issue and I'm mostly coming out of the first thread/cpu.

Back-button
Posted by kandicee on 3/20/2014 at 10:54 AM
This is like Microsoft, it's their way to get you to use Bing instead of Google. Very frustrating...
Posted by gawicks on 3/6/2014 at 10:12 AM
Why isn't there a fix for this in an upcoming release? Surely it's trivial to implement..
Posted by adaflip on 3/4/2014 at 6:41 AM
I am relieved that I'm not the only one experiencing the back button on IE11 with Win7. I actually have to refresh the page then click the back button again. And what's with all the advertising popups that almost makes you want to leave IE and get another browser.
Posted by jescott418 on 2/10/2014 at 8:32 AM
I also have this issues with IE 11 on Windows 7 64 bit. I think some of the Google site complaints regards to this is about their Ad service preventing IE from going back to the previous page. This has been a bug for some time. It has to do with Google ads redirecting several times on some sites. I have experienced this and you can tell if you click on back button and hold click to see previous sites. Many times several Google ad links have replaced your last page visited.
I also have the problem where the back button simply does not register a click. Its not because of anything related to Google ad issue.
Posted by trashywoman on 1/6/2014 at 8:01 AM
I have this problem with IE10. Happens very frequently. I am running Windows 7. Most time I have to right click the back button and select the google search results. Sometimes there are ads listed there also. This has been occurring for at least 4 months. Very annoying so I switch to Bing for my searches. I cannot understand why this hasn't been fixed. It also occurs sometimes on iPad2 using google search!
Posted by dthird on 12/11/2013 at 10:25 AM
Having the same problem with IE10. Happening now on almost all sites that link through search engines such as google.. In some cases, have to hit the back button 3 times quickly to get back to original. When I hold the back button, I do not see ad sites, but still back button does not work. THIS is CLEARLY a BUG!!!
Posted by SuddenRage on 12/6/2013 at 4:09 PM
I'm surprised the reaction to this from Microsoft is that of a trivial issue.

This issue occurs on every Windows 7/IE 11 machine I have used. I have to click back twice in almost every instance. Very frustrating.

I love IE normally but major issues with such core features like this really pi55 me off.

Please pull your finger out Microsoft, you're giving the firefoxers a semi!
Posted by Microsoft on 12/5/2013 at 10:29 AM
Thank you so much for the feedback themwerd!
Unfortunately, we are not able to address this feedback in our upcoming release. We will consider your feedback for a future release. We will keep this connect feedback bug active to track this request. Every piece of feedback we receive is important to us and helps us improve the quality of Internet Explorer.

We continue to welcome more feedback, so please don't hesitate to report other ways that we can improve Internet Explorer.

Best regards,
The Internet Explorer Beta Team
Posted by Ivan Kahn on 11/25/2013 at 11:35 AM
Go to this site: http://www.intellicast.com/Local/WxMap.aspx?latitude=33.85&longitude=-84.21&zoomLevel=8&opacity=1&basemap=0014&layers=0039

Then Click on "Pan and Zoom"

Now click on the Back Button - it does not work.

Also had this problem in IE10
Posted by Quad5Ny on 11/11/2013 at 7:37 PM
I can confirm this with IE11 on Windows 7.

Search results: https://www.google.com/search?q=nokia+lumia+d%2B+d-+1a&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&ie=&oe=

Link Clicked: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.wpcentral.com%2Fnokia-lumia-920%2F214447-lumia-920-charger-car-wired.html&ei=OZSBUoOyOYnQsATgt4CoBw&usg=AFQjCNH8-hBA37wwB1xn-S3JpSWSwE-MGA&bvm=bv.56146854,d.cWc

Redirect: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.wpcentral.com%2Fnokia-lumia-920%2F214447-lumia-920-charger-car-wired.html&ei=OZSBUoOyOYnQsATgt4CoBw&usg=AFQjCNH8-hBA37wwB1xn-S3JpSWSwE-MGA&bvm=bv.56146854,d.cWc

Final Webpage: http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/214447-lumia-920-charger-car-wired.html

When I click the back button I end up on the Redirect page (which is blank) and I have to click the back button a Second time to get back to the search results.

I love IE11, but Google is my search engine. This is annoying enough to make me switch to Firefox until either Google or you guys find a work around. =\
Posted by Microsoft on 11/11/2013 at 1:34 PM
Thank you for your feedback. We will be investigating this issue further.

Best regards,