[IE11] After upgrading to Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7 Pro SP1 (x64) system, Webex Meeting Manager does not launch by Tom Hawley

Active

Opened: 11/14/2013 12:30:17 PM
Primary Feedback Item: 806074

I use webex quite frequently and have been using it on Internet Explorer 10 for a long time. I upgraded to Internet Explorer 11 yesterday, and today when I tried to join a WebEx meeting, it took me to the WebEx setup screen instead of into the meeting. Clicking on the "Setup" button did not seem to do anything. At one point, I was finally able to get the WebEx installer to run, and after agreeing to let it run, the installer finished and I still can't get into WebEx meetings. My guess is that some security setting is blocking it from running, but I could not find any indication of what was causing the problem.
Posted by howardagoldberg on 12/3/2013 at 1:16 PM
It looks like WebEx recently released version 29 of their client, and the issue is resolved. I ran a WebEx last evening using IE11 with no issue ... although, it appears WebEx will have to update again as a warning pops up during the call to Java that the WebEx app will be blocked with the next Java update due to not all requirements being met security wise.
Posted by MichaelTLewis on 11/27/2013 at 6:48 AM
I just spoke to Webex support. They are aware of this problem and are actively and urgently working on a fix.
They said that following the release of the fix then new software will be loaded (perhaps with a user prompt if necessary) on entering a meeting.
Their suggested workarounds in the short term are downgrade IE from v11, or use another browser.
Posted by MichaelTLewis on 11/27/2013 at 5:55 AM
I also have this problem, exactly as described by 'howardagoldberg', except that my IE 11 is configured to have 'Enhanced Protected Mode' disabled, so that appears to refute the conjecture that this is the cause.
Posted by howardagoldberg on 11/27/2013 at 5:26 AM
"Posted by Eric Liprandi on 11/26/2013 at 3:43 PM: So, I have read the workaround. Since I don't really want to disable protected mode all together, I thought I would try to add my company's webex site to the list of Trusted Sites. In my IE settings, it definitely appears that sites in that list have the Protected Mode disabled. Yet, when I try to start a meeting, I get the same "java not working" message. What am I missing?"

My guess is ... it's not a question of whether WebEx is a trusted site or not. The issue is that when Enhanced Protected Mode is enabled, IE runs only in 64-bit mode. If WebEx cannot call the 64-bit Java plugin (even if it's installed), it will appear to WebEx that there is no Java installed. That is why you likely need to disable Enhanced Protected Mode (which will allow individual IE tabs to run as a 32-bit process), or use a different browser such as Firefox or Chrome (both of which work fine with WebEx).
Posted by Eric Liprandi on 11/26/2013 at 3:43 PM
What am I missing?
Posted by JimCPAHemet on 11/20/2013 at 1:40 PM
Not sure if part of the same issue but some websites also not working. Same IE 11, Win 7 Pro SP1 (x64). On www.foxnews.com when click on VIEW ALL QUESTIONS it goes to the webpage but the questions do not display. Did prior to install IE 11.
Posted by sivagnanam1 on 11/20/2013 at 10:42 AM
I have the same issue in one machine where I have, Java, 7.x installed.
But in another machine where I have Java ,Version 6 Update 18, No issue.

Posted by Jay_Cummings on 11/20/2013 at 10:26 AM
Same issue. Have Java. Upgraded to IE 11 yesterday. WebEx won't work using Java in IE. (WebEx + Java still work fine in Firefox & Chrome.) WebEx will work in IE if select temporary non-app-install option for WebEx, but this is undesirable long term.

Went through Internet Options and can't find anything that looks like it needs to be changed. Everything has worked fine for IE 10 and prior. This appears to be an upgrade bug.
Posted by hydcoolguy on 11/19/2013 at 7:09 AM
I am experiencing the same issue:

"
Java is not working.

To have the best experience joining meetings, Java must be installed on your computer and enabled in your browser and the Java Control Panel. Install and enable Java, restart your browser if needed, and then join the meeting again.

"
Posted by howardagoldberg on 11/19/2013 at 6:36 AM
I can confirm this behavior on two Windows 7 SP1 x64 systems. Both systems have Java 7-U45 installed, both the 32-bit and 64-bit plugins.

I can also confirm that Java is installed properly on both systems, and that all other Java apps that have needed to run via a browser are working. Further, I can confirm that WebEx works as expected (both as participant and host/presenter) using Firefox 25.0.1 and Chrome 31.

Therefore, while I have not tested it yet, this issue may be related to the "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode" being checked in the advanced settings which beefs up security by only allowing IE tabs to run in 64-bit mode, which may call upon the 64-bit Java plugin. Firefox and Chrome would be calling the 32-bit Java plugin since they are not compiled as 64-bit applications. So, one possible workaround would be -- if you need to use IE and don't want to roll back to an earlier version, is to uncheck "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode." After doing so, you will have to reboot your computer (not just restart IE) in order to test.

The other workaround, is to use Firefox or Chrome for WebEx.

Hope there is a fix soon however, as I actually prefer using IE for WebEx.
Posted by Mastro Di Carte on 11/19/2013 at 5:33 AM
Same problem here: IE11 with Win7 SP1 32bit
Posted by Eyali on 11/18/2013 at 10:06 AM
Same problem here. its very basic.!
Posted by SkierScott on 11/18/2013 at 6:51 AM
Ditto...I just allowed IE 11 to install and web ex no longer works...How to I back out IE 11 as I am in Web Ex multiple times a day...didn't think about this before upgrading.
Posted by Rick Wit on 11/15/2013 at 1:55 PM
I am also having a problem using WebEx after upgrading to IE 11. I get a Java error message. The Java website says Java is installed (7u45). The Java add-ons are enabled. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Java, but that did not make a difference. I have no other versions of Java installed. I have to use the "temporary software" to join meetings. I pasted the error message below:

"Java is not working.

Don't want to install software? Run a temporary application to join this meeting immediately."

Posted by Aaron Traffas on 11/15/2013 at 6:07 AM
I confirm this same behavior and problem on Windows 7 Home Premium. Do you have Java installed? I don't, and suspect that this problem is related to the lack of a WebEx plugin for IE 11. When it tries to fall back to Java, it fails.
Posted by dwadie on 12/6/2013 at 8:13 AM
Posted by dwadie on 12/6/2013 at 8:07 AM
Hi All,

There is an option you can do. Please follow the below:

1- Go to Compatibility View settings from the option menu.
2- Type webex.com and click Add

That's all you should be able to run webex with no problems.

Please let me know if this has helped.

Duraid Wadie
Posted by howardagoldberg on 11/20/2013 at 1:56 PM
Downgrading to Java 6-U18 is not such a great idea, as it is a serious security risk.

However:

1) While I have not tested it yet, this issue may be related to the "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode" being checked in the advanced settings which beefs up security by only allowing IE tabs to run in 64-bit mode, which may call upon the 64-bit Java plugin. Firefox and Chrome would be calling the 32-bit Java plugin since they are not compiled as 64-bit applications. So, one possible workaround would be -- if you need to use IE and don't want to roll back to an earlier version (of IE or Java), is to uncheck "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode." After doing so, you will have to reboot your computer (not just restart IE) in order to test.

2) The other workaround, is to use Firefox or Chrome for WebEx. Both browsers work fine with WebEx and Java 7-U45.
Posted by sivagnanam1 on 11/20/2013 at 10:43 AM
try downgrading java to Version 6 Update 18.