Nice, but has some serious problems by rsattler

as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

Opened: 12/5/2013 8:01:08 AM

When IE 11 was released, I downloaded it to my computer and began using it. I almost always upgrade to the latest version of IE right away as it seems to get better and better on every iteration. Unfortunately, v11 has too many issues for me (Win7 64bit) and I uninstalled it - a first for any version of IE for me.

First of all, it has a habit of crashing - the dialog box telling you that Internet Explorer has detected a problem and was trying to find a solution. When that dialog box appears, you cannot do anything else on the computer until it is done as the dialog box is on top of everything else running. You have to wait until it is finished, only to tell you that it could not find a solution and that it was going to close or restart the application. This would occur with alarming frequency, so much so that it became impossible to do work at times.

Secondly, it does something unexpected with some websites, continuously refreshing the page or arbitrarily invoking the "back" button. For instance, on the Yahoo Mail website, closing an open email will not only close the email, but send you back a page - most likely right out of the Yahoo Mail website. Quite frustrating. I have tried compatibility settings but this does not resolve the problem.

For now, I cannot run IE11 and will let it "bake" for a while before attempting to install it again. It has a lot of nice features but if it continuously crashes AND makes some site unstable, I'm out as they say on Shark Tank.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/15/2014 at 11:52 AM
Thank you again for your feedback.

At this time we will close out this feedback item. If you have the additional information requested, please reactivate the bug or submit a new bug .Your feedback is very important to us, and it helps us improve the quality of Internet Explorer.

We continue to welcome more feedback, so please don't hesitate to report other ways that we can improve Internet Explorer.

Best regards,

The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by Microsoft on 3/21/2014 at 1:41 PM
Hello rsattler,

Since we were not able to reproduce the crash would it be possible for you to reproduce the crash and provide us with the crash dump? Here are the steps to collect the process dump.

Please download debug diag from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2580960
1)    Once installed open debug diag and select the rule type 'Crash' and click next.
2)    Under Select target type select 'A specific process' and click next
3)    In the text box next to Selected Process please enter iexplore.exe and click next
4)    Under the Advanced Configuration please just click next
5)    Lastly in the Select Dump Location please take note of the location where the dump file will be written. You can change this to another location if you wish. Click Next then Click Finish.
Once you have reproduced the crash open the folder location from step 5 above. Locate the file ending in .dmp. Please compress (zip) this .dmp file(s) and upload them to connect. If the file is larger than 50mb compressed please update this bug that you have collected the process dump and that it exceeds 50mb compressed and I will send you a private upload link.

Thank you for your assistance in the investigation.

Best regards,
The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by rsattler on 1/28/2014 at 2:09 PM
Hello again,

As I reported IE11 crashing all the time, that happened all the time. Did not seem to matter which website I was on, the dialog box would appear as described above. I cannot give you a read of all the sites I frequent as the list would be too long. Needless to say, this was way too often. Almost never happens in IE10. Besides, the browser says it is sending you this information - so you should have plenty of reference to go on. If you need my IP address (the one my ISP gives me is static), I can do that if that is a item that is logged.

Regards,
rsattler
Posted by rsattler on 1/28/2014 at 2:02 PM
Hello Microsoft,

Wish I could help you out but I put this message into your system ~2 months ago. I've long since deleted IE11 and gone back to IE10. I will not upgrade to IE11 anytime in the near future as the issues I have stated above are too distracting to any good web experience - besides being a royal pain to deal with.

I can provide some info for #2) mail.yahoo.com - you will have to have a mail account there to experience the joy of having the back button repeat issue when closing an open email. Go to Yahoo Mail, open an email, close the email by clicking the X in the upper right-hand area of the tab. Watch the email close and then send you back a page, usually completely out of Yahoo Mail back to whatever was in your browser before opening yahoo Mail (in my case my "homepage" of bing.com).

Sorry on #1 and #3, I am not running IE11.

If it takes you another two months to read and respond, I may have IE11 on my system. For now, I need the reliability of IE10.

Regards,
rsattler
Posted by Microsoft on 1/28/2014 at 9:54 AM
Hello rsattler,

Thank you for providing feedback. In order to better understand the issue you are experiencing can you please provide the following:

1)Version of Windows and IE version with build number listed in the Help|About dialogue.
2)Specific URL and Repro Steps to help us recreate the issue.
3)Snapshot or video of the issue.

Every piece of feedback we receive is important to us and helps us improve the quality of Internet Explorer.

Best regards,