v3 installation says "The update is not applicable to your computer" on some versions of Windows 7 by JVimes2

Active

Opened: 11/21/2012 5:06:43 PM

I tried to install PowerShell 3 (Windows Management Framework 3.0) on Windows 7 Starter edition and got a message saying "The update is not applicable to your computer". I was able to install by extracting the CAB and using pkgmgr.exe. Everything seems to work fine. Another user had it happen on Windows 7 Home Premium, and he also got it working the same way. See his blog post, here: http://darekpagesedge.blogspot.com/2012/11/instalacja-powershell-3-ise.html

Are these OS versions really not supported, or is there an over-restrictive launch condition on the update package?
Posted by Sheree Grier on 8/18/2013 at 10:17 AM
Same thing here, on Windows 7 Enterprise SP1.
Posted by psolli on 3/24/2013 at 3:34 PM
Installing Sharepoint Server 2013 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine I got the "This update is not applicable to your computer, even if I had .net 4.0 Full or .net 4.5. full installed. This workaround fixed it.

I still wonder why the Windows Server 2008 R2 didn't see the correct configuration. It's a mystery but it worked.

Thanks,

Per
Posted by JVimes2 on 11/25/2012 at 11:43 PM
Thomas is right on - that error message doesn't help us at all.
Posted by Thomas Lee on 11/24/2012 at 3:39 AM
I believe that when the PowerShell installation kit says 'this is not for you', it should say why. Is it because the right version of the .NET framework is not loaded, an SP is mossing, etc? Why specifically has the update decided it won't be right for my system. The code is obviously making some sort of decision, and that specific reason should be displayed when this condition arises.
Posted by JVimes2 on 11/23/2012 at 10:26 PM
@stej, I just posted a workaround on the "Workarounds" tab.
Posted by JVimes2 on 11/23/2012 at 10:22 PM
I've verified this bug happens on Windows 7 Home Premium. Surely that is supported!
Posted by stej on 11/23/2012 at 12:19 AM
I had the same problem. During the first installation my comp stopped working. After approx 1 hour I restarted. And after that I saw only message similar to "The update is not applicable ... " :( So I'm stuck with V2.
Posted by JVimes2 on 11/23/2012 at 10:26 PM
Unpack the EXE as if it were a zip (I used 7-zip), open CMD in same dir, run the following, substituting the name of your CAB file:

start /w %SystemRoot%\system32\pkgmgr.exe /ip /m:Windows6.1-KB2506143-x86.cab

Wait until prompted to reboot. Reboot.