SQL Server Management Studio 2005 open table causes BSOD by AllanCr

as Duplicate Help for as Duplicate

Opened: 3/10/2007 3:59:15 PM

I have a Dell D620 running XP SP2 with all the latest drivers and hotfixes and SQL 2005. When I used SQL Server Management Studio to open table, I frequently recieve a BSOD. I can design or use most of the other functionality with no problems. Has anyone else seen this type of problem?

Regards
Allan

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio        9.00.3042.00
Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools                         2005.090.3042.00
Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)        2000.085.1117.00                 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Microsoft MSXML                    2.6 3.0 4.0 5.0 6.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer                7.0.5730.11
Microsoft .NET Framework                2.0.50727.42
Operating System                    5.1.2600

I have attached the Mini041907-01.dmp file, if any further information would help, please feel free to let me know.
Posted by ScottKDavis on 5/19/2009 at 1:45 PM
Confirmed here too. I hit the blue screen 5 times in past three weeks, always when opening a table (view data) in SQL Server Management Studio. Doesn't always happen. ipoint.exe is also running. I'm using a Fujitsu Lifebook laptop. This laptop has never blue screened before. Running XP SP2.

Posted by Greg Haselmann on 1/14/2009 at 9:37 AM
The mouse driver appears to be culprit for me. The only other factor is that I have a VPC open in the background, and only get the BSOD when the Intellipoint is running and at least one VPC is running. Using the most current Intellipoint as of this writing (6.3). Uninstalling Intellipoint fixes the issue.
Posted by Gyorgy Bozoki on 11/19/2008 at 5:19 PM
Sorry, hit Submit too soon. I also have all the latest patches to all system components (Windows XP SP2, etc.)
Posted by Gyorgy Bozoki on 11/19/2008 at 5:18 PM
I constantly get BSODs with SQL Server Management Studio when I use Open Table. No other application gives me BSODs ever. I, too, have iPoint.exe runnint, but I have a hard time seeing how this could possible have anything to do with the mouse driver. I also doubt that this is a video card issue, because I get no errors from any other software, including some high-end production applications - I only ever get errors from SQL Server Management Studio 2005. I have the above versions (as reported in the original issue.)
Posted by Microsoft on 4/24/2008 at 10:32 PM
Hi ACruse,

We are marking this problem as closed as we were unable to reproduce the problem. Should you encounter this problem again, please dont hestitate to reactivate this bug.

Thanks
Karthik
Posted by Runex on 1/7/2008 at 2:40 AM
Same problem with a Dell Latitude D820 and using Visual Studio 2005 and SQL server 2005.
Problem appears both in Sql Server Management Studio and in Visual Studio Server Explorer when opening tables for editing records.
Problem "solved" when stopping ipoint.exe process from Task mngr.
Thanks from dealing out this problem.
Rune Grimsrud . www.indaco.no
Posted by Peter Lillevold on 9/6/2007 at 1:09 AM
As workaround states, removing iPoint mouse driver should alleviate the problem.
But why? Why should a mouse driver cause a database management application to BSOD in the Win32 kernel ?!
Posted by kkemp on 7/15/2007 at 6:26 PM
Why is this closed if it has not been resolved yet?
Posted by Microsoft on 4/19/2007 at 2:41 AM
Hi Acruse,

Thanks for reporting this issue. Could you upload some core dump here so that we can analyse?

Regards
Vinod
Posted by vaclav.panenka on 3/22/2007 at 7:11 AM
I have Acer, not Dell.
Problems are from January, I've been installed new MSDN, SP1 for SQL and security patches from MS and from next day BSOD are fired.
Posted by AaronBertrand on 3/21/2007 at 12:56 PM
As I suggested on the other item:

Is it possibly a video driver related bug, or something Dell specific? I don't use Open Table but I have a Dell machine with core 2 duo processors and a high-end video card, and I get blue screens all the time on that machine (but none seem related to Management Studio at all). I have a few other Dell machines (two desktops and a laptop), both desktops have dual core, and none of these three machines has ever had a blue screen. So it can't be Management Studio in isolation, else I would be seeing this on all Dells (or all Dells with multi core processors, or all Dells with nvidia video cards, etc). The symptom definitely sounds video driver related to me.
Posted by vaclav.panenka on 3/13/2007 at 4:04 AM
here https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=258813 is another feedback. There is no solution :-(
Posted by Unregistered User on 5/29/2007 at 10:03 AM
Ditto. The moment I installed Intellipoint 6.1 I started having problem opening tables. BSOD'ed at least 10 times. Uninstalled the drivers and problem went away.
Posted by Rick Andersen on 5/16/2007 at 1:27 PM
I have found the ipoint.exe program to be the source of this problem as well. 2 other guys at my work use the exact same laptop, same version of xp and management studio and i was the only one experiencing this problem. I was also the only one with a Microsoft mouse, and after killing that process I haven't had the problem again.
Posted by hismightiness on 5/1/2007 at 10:01 AM
It looks like this is a VERY common issue:
Posted by onskee on 5/1/2007 at 8:55 AM
Jan_V -- I think you're right.. I killed iPoint.exe (and subsequently uninstalled it) and I can not reproduce.
Thanks!
Posted by JanV1983 on 4/23/2007 at 6:07 AM
I have de-installed my Intellipoint drivers (I think 6.xx), which came standard with my MS Wireless Laser Mouse 8000 (Bluetooth).
After I have done this, I have not seen the BSOD since.

It appears this is a valid temporary fix.
I don't know if any other developer here uses Intellipoint, but it's recommended to uninstall it. Perhaps it'll help for everyone.
File Name Submitted By Submitted On File Size