SQL Server Management Studio - Cannot 'close' the Results/Messages window by stope19

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Type: Suggestion
Opened: 7/25/2007 4:24:17 PM

I may have missed this feature, but I often find when working with large functions/stored-procs, that after executing the code in the query window, and reviewing the results/errors in the 'Results/Messages' windows, I want to resume editing...
However, a large(ish) portion of the query window has now been 'lost' to the results/messages tabbed windows, and it is a real pain to have to 'drag' the pane in which they reside down to the bottom of the screen to reclaim the query window space!
My suggestion is that some option (keystroke/icon/whatever) be provided to make these windows 'go away' (to return on next execution of a query).
Of course, perhaps you can already do this - but if so, I've failed to find it.
Posted by cwmizner on 4/26/2013 at 1:48 PM
CTRL-R dosen't work in 2012??? doesn't seem to, wtf? :)
Posted by bjstigall on 7/24/2012 at 9:41 AM
A little x by the tab like in visual studio (or like with the file name) on messages, results, etc would be a time saver!
Posted by c_barth on 7/12/2011 at 6:04 AM
Crtl-R and the option in the Window pane are fine, but why can't we just have a little, intuitive X in the corner of the tab so it becomes obvious how to close it. This should be standard for all tabs. The tabs that are there for the Query Windows have an X in the right corner, IE has the X, why can't the Messages/Results tabs have the same thing?
Posted by C_A_M on 12/3/2010 at 9:42 AM
I have been concerned about the same thing. The "Window > Show/Hide Results Pane" is the solution I have been looking for. I could not find it because it is more intuitive to have such a menu option in the "View" menu, rather than in the "Window" menu, so I was looking in "View". I suggest that future versions put this menu option in the "View" menu.
Posted by Microsoft on 10/5/2007 at 8:58 AM
Thank you for the suggestion. We will track it as a feature candidate of a future release of SQL Server. In the mean time, there is a option that can display editor and result / message in separate tabs.
In SSMS, goto Tools | Option menu. On the option dialog, navigate into Query Results | SQL Server | Results to Grid or Results to Text
On the option dialog, check on [Display results in a separate tab].

Thanks,
-Eric Kang, Program Manager
Posted by Steve Kass on 7/25/2007 at 9:33 PM
Window|Hide/Show Results Pane, or CTRL-R toggles the results/messages pane visibility./

This is also documented in Books Online. If you search Books Online for

hide results window

one of the first results is the topic SQL Server Management Studio Keyboard Shortcuts, which describes this feature.

Posted by Mike MSDN on 5/19/2014 at 9:06 AM
I was able to restore CTRL-R in 2012 by going to Tools --> Options --> Environment --> Keyboard --> Hitting Reset on the (Default) scheme.
Posted by ajitaspnet on 6/17/2013 at 3:41 PM
Posted by Steve Kass on 7/25/2007 at 9:28 PM
Window|Hide/Show Results Pane, or CTRL-R toggles the results pane visibility.