SQL Server 2008 (July CTP) - Installation Failure - Error 18456 by AbhiD

as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

Opened: 8/27/2007 1:34:42 PM

The July CTP of Katamai fails during the installation. I selected all the options. Selected Integrated Authentication (with login as 'sa' and password as 'sa123')

The install directory was specified as "G:\WinXP\SQL Server 2008\...." for all the components. (Sorry do not have any space left on C Drive)

The installation goes fine till books online and then throws up so badly that it rolls back almost entire stuff. In the "Start->All Programs", I do not see any SQL 2008 related entries, also the installation directory directory contains just remnant parts.

The error log I get is as follows (If required I can upload entire log):
------------------------------------------------------
Error Code: 18456
MSI (s) (C0!4C) [01:01:33:703]: Product: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 -- Error 29515. SQL Server Setup could not connect to the database service for server configuration. The error was: [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'sa'. Refer to server error logs and setup logs for more information. For details on how to view setup logs, see "How to View Setup Log Files" in SQL Server Books Online.

<Func Name='GetCAContext'>
<EndFunc Name='GetCAContext' Return='T' GetLastError='203'>
Doing Action: Do_sqlScript
PerfTime Start: Do_sqlScript : Tue Aug 28 01:01:33 2007
Service MSSQLSERVER with parameters '-m SqlSetup -Q -qSQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS -T4022 -T3659 -T3610 -T4010' is being started at Tue Aug 28 01:01:33 2007
Attempt to start service when it is already running
SQL service MSSQLSERVER started successfully waiting for SQL service to accept client connections
Service MSSQLSERVER started at Tue Aug 28 01:01:33 2007
Loaded DLL:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Odbc32.dll
Version:
3.525.1117.0

SQL_ERROR (-1) in OdbcConnection::connect
sqlstate=28000, level=-1, state=-1, native_error=18456, msg=[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'sa'.

Error Code: 0x80074818 (18456)
Windows Error Text: Source File Name: lib\odbc_connection.cpp
Compiler Timestamp: Tue Jul 24 04:09:22 2007
     Function Name: OdbcConnection::connect@connect
Source Line Number: 148
Posted by AbhiD on 10/20/2007 at 5:27 AM
Hi Amy,

Thanks. My stupidity that I did not keep the log file.
After that I tried installing in several different combinations but everytime it worked.

Appreciate your time.
Abhijit
Posted by Microsoft on 10/19/2007 at 9:54 AM
Abhi -

I have not seen a follow up on this that it is reproable. Since we also can't repro in house; I'm closing.

Thanks,

Amy Lewis
Posted by AbhiD on 9/5/2007 at 5:50 PM
Hi Amy,

Sorry, I did not keep the installation folders to give you the files (my bad).

While trying to reproduce the error, I tried a clean installation again with exactly same parameters, and now it goes through successfully. No errors. But I will attempt to install on clean OS because I am 100% certain there is some issue.

Thanks
Abhi
Posted by Microsoft on 8/30/2007 at 4:25 PM
We would like to investigate your issue but need your log files to do so. Can you please send them to me?

Logs: %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\LOG