Cannot install SQL 2008 32-bit on a 64-bit platform by Erland Sommarskog

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 6/15/2008 6:28:33 AM

I may be missing something, but I can't read out anything else that running SQL 2008
32-bit on a 64-bit OS is supported. But how do you do it? If I insert the SQL 2008 x86 DVD
into my Vista x64 laptop, and start an install, it installs the Setup Support Files, then runs a
check, and the check "Edition WOW654 platform" fails, and the explanations is that the
Setup does not run on WOW64. What is going on?
Posted by Microsoft on 6/20/2008 at 9:53 AM
Erland -

As you know we released a bad RC0 package - they are being updated today. I've closed this Bug.

I believe you already have a work around but if that is not the case please ping Jin or I via email for details.

Thanks,

Amy Lewis
Posted by mlopez1 on 6/19/2008 at 8:10 PM
Cause was discovered: the x86 RC0 media on the Microsoft site
is missing some files needed for wow64 installation.
Thanks to Jin Feng of Microsoft for catching that,
and here is his workaround, which I can confirm works:
1. Download the x64 RC0 installation media
2. Copy the x64 subfolder *from the setup subfolder*
    of that x64 media to the x86 media in the parallel location:
    i.e. copy the x:\x64\setup\x64\ subfolder
         over TO y:\x86\setup\,
3. You should end up with the subfolder y:\x86\setup\x64\

Run setup as normal, making sure to look out for and select x86
as an option under the "option page" if you are allowed a choice.

(you can also setup via the command line.)
Posted by mlopez1 on 6/18/2008 at 11:48 AM
Command-line workarounds mentioned do NOT work. Perhaps they would have worked if they had been tried as the first install step--I do not know (setup works does not work the same on first run versus subsequent runs). However, I do know that there is no way I can find to install 32-bit/x86 Sql Server RC0, specifically the enterprise evaluation version (no key), on Vista x64 OS, and these are on test systems that meet all the hardware and software requirements.
Posted by mlopez1 on 6/17/2008 at 11:21 PM
In case it's of use, I uploaded my log file report confirming that rc0 won't install to wow64, as a private item, to:

Posted by Erland Sommarskog on 6/17/2008 at 2:58 PM
In case, it matters, I already had installed an x64 instance of SQL 2008 on the machine.
(ANd there is also an x64 instance of SQL 2005.)

Ive attached a couple of log files.
Posted by Erland Sommarskog on 6/17/2008 at 2:35 PM
If the issue wasn't so serious, I would assume that you are not pulling my legs. Right now
what happens on my x64 machine is that I reboot, start setup. I can view options which
says x86, and everything else is disabled. I then press "New SQL Server standalone installation...". Then I get a message box which says "The current operating system is of x64 architecture. This media is not supported for running on the system".

Maybe I at one point had the possibility to change some option that I was not aware. I know that at my first attempts I got futher. Now something has been saved somewhere, and I have no clue to clean it up.

If the repro is not clear, I'll try again. Find a installation DVD for the 32-bit SQL Server. Find someone who has an x64 machine. Give him the release notes. See if he is able to install without any extra hints from you.

If one must select some secret options to perform this install, you need to spell this
out clerarly. Very clearly.

And one more thing: please don't even consider closing this bug again. This is a serious blocker.
Posted by Microsoft on 6/17/2008 at 1:50 PM
Thanks for contacting us. This repro is not clear. You can install SQL Server 2008 in WOW64. To do this, you need to specify /x86 on the command-line or change the architecture type on the Options page of the Installation Center.

If you are still having issues, please reactive this issue and include the SQL Server 2008 setup log files located at %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log

Thanks,
Peter Saddow [Microsoft]
Posted by mlopez1 on 6/15/2008 at 3:43 PM
Two notes:
1. Based on a quick search, it seems that there might be a special rc0 download that includes the developer edition as a separate item, mine only shows standard, enterprise, and enterprise eval., and I remember directions saying that to install developer, install as enterprise evaluation.
2. I can no longer choose a different edition, because setup always assumes the same choice now (enterprise eval).

It would be odd to get a "can't install on wow64" error message if the problem is a matter of not getting the right developer edition cd.
Posted by mlopez1 on 6/15/2008 at 2:57 PM
In my testing *NO* 32-bit RC0 edition installs on x64 OS (with or without key, evaluation or otherwise, regardless of setup option, etc.). Let me know if you manage to get any 32-bit version to install on x64 OS (it won't get very far). If you confirm the same failure, please validate the bug report at.

Regarding the distinction between evaluation (no key) and non-evaluation (keyed), the instructions for using the "developer edition" are to install as enterprise evaluation (no key), so I did that--I mean, I tried to do that.

(btw, I believe Footnote 2 is not relevant since it only means that the non-eval version of enterprise won't install on non-server os'es--it is not really speaking to the WOW64 situation, as footnote 3 does. The problem is that setup has a specific test for WOW64 and is simply rejecting WOW64 as a legitimate platform; i.e. this is not a test for server OS presence.
Posted by Steve Kass on 6/15/2008 at 1:56 PM
As far as I can tell, Books Online says that Vista x64 supports Enterprise Evaluation edition 32-bit, but *not* Enterprise edition 32-bit. See footnote #2 "This version of Windows supports SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Evaluation, not Enterprise." on this Books Online page (right before the footnote mlopez1 quotes):
ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v10/MS.SQLSVR.v10.en/s10sq_GetStart/html/09bcf20b-0a40-4131-907f-b61479d5e4d8.htm.

Did you try to install Enterprise Evaluation edition?

Posted by mlopez1 on 6/15/2008 at 12:19 PM
one note: 32-bit RC0's refusal to install on x64 OS contradicts the docs.
The following is from footnote 3 on the 32-bit Sql edition sections:

3 This edition of SQL Server 2008 can be installed to the Windows on Windows (WOW64) 32-bit subsystem of a 64-bit server.
From:

Posted by mlopez1 on 6/15/2008 at 10:35 AM
This needs a workaround immediately--there will be no testing of 32-bit on x64 at all, and no feedback, until a workaround is released!
Posted by mlopez1 on 6/19/2008 at 8:09 PM
Cause was discovered: the x86 RC0 media on the Microsoft site
is missing some files needed for wow64 installation.
Thanks to Jin Feng of Microsoft for catching that,
and here is his workaround, which I can confirm works:
1. Download the x64 RC0 installation media
2. Copy the x64 subfolder *from the setup subfolder*
    of that x64 media to the x86 media in the parallel location:
    i.e. copy the x:\x64\setup\x64\ subfolder
         over TO y:\x86\setup\,
3. You should end up with the subfolder y:\x86\setup\x64\

Run setup as normal, making sure to look out for and select x86
as an option under the "option page" if you are allowed a choice.

(you can also setup via the command line.)
Posted by mlopez1 on 6/18/2008 at 11:44 AM
Ok, I checked again: a regular Vista x64 OS should support installation of the enterprise evaluation also, so if the difference is the OS, that shouldn't be:

2This version of Windows supports SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Evaluation, not Enterprise.
3This edition of SQL Server can be installed to the Windows on Windows (WOW64) 32-bit subsystem of a 64-bit server.

Perhaps the difference is that, at the time of the wow64 installation, you already HAD an instance installed? (since you used a non-default name for the instance)?
Posted by mlopez1 on 6/18/2008 at 11:34 AM
This got cut off on my screen:
SETUP.EXE DOES NOT
SUPPORT INSTALLATION ON WOW64.
Posted by mlopez1 on 6/18/2008 at 11:33 AM
That workaround does not work for me: I still get exactly the same failure: SETUP.EXE DOES NOT SUPPORT INSTALLATION ON WOW64.
Perhaps it was because you installed on Server 2008? I'm trying to install the evaluation version (i.e. developer edition) on Vista x64. In any case, I am unable to install ANY version of 32-bit sql server x64.
Posted by davidbaxterbrowne on 6/18/2008 at 8:26 AM
CommandLine works for me on Server 2008 x64,.

Setup.exe /x86 /q /ACTION=Install /FEATURES=SQL /INSTANCENAME=x86 /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\Network Service" /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="MyDomain\MyAccount" /AGTSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\Network Service"

@@version output:

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (CTP) - 10.0.1442.32 (Intel X86)
    May 30 2008 00:02:15