SQL Server 2008 Setup requires Microsoft .Net framework 3.5 by Alexey.Smirnov

as By Design Help for as By Design

Opened: 7/4/2008 12:24:25 AM

I tried to install SQL Server 2008 Express Advanced on a very new Windows 2008 Web Server. The setup did throw an error:

"SQL Server 2008 Setup requires Microsoft .Net framework 3.5 to be installed".

I've installed .NET 3.5, rebooted but it didn't help. The setup still throwing an error:

"SQL Server 2008 Setup requires Microsoft .Net framework 3.5 to be installed".

And the most interesting thing is that after first error message you get a second error message:

"Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 installation has failed. SQL Server 2008 Setup requires Microsoft .Net framework 3.5 to be installed".

Second try to install .NET 3.5 (in repair mode) had no effect too. All pathes and updates for Windows 2008 were installed through Windows Update.

Win 2008 x86 ENGLISH
SQL 2008 x86 ENGLISH
Posted by muffybunny on 8/9/2010 at 9:50 AM
I am also having this problem and it seems you defined 3 steps to a solution.

1. Install .NET 3.5 SP1
2. Install Windows Installer 4.5
3. Install PowerShell

Trying to do these 3 things really just created even more problems. Can anyone please define a REAL solution to this problem?

When I look in my \Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\ directory, I actually have:
v1.0.3705
v1.1.4332
v2.0.50727
v3.0
v3.5
v4.0.30319

My Windows Installer is version 5.0.7600.16385 - for the sake of trying anything at this point I tried to install 4.5 and got a failure stating I don't have enough room to perform the operation even though I have 100+ GB available.

Haven't even bothered to get to the PowerShell part.
Posted by Sebastian.Wojciechowski on 11/6/2009 at 1:15 AM
What do you mean that this is "by design"?? I have to install beta version of the framework on my production server to get SQL Server 2008 installation moving? I expect from you to file this as a bug and provide a detailed way on how to resolve this with no beta garbage to install.
Posted by mtaylor794 on 9/17/2009 at 6:32 AM
So what is the solution? I can't get it to install and I have done the things you suggested. I am unclear as to what you are saying. Are you saying if .net 3.5 sp1 is on your box and the install fails because of a different version of 3.5? So what should I do uninstall .net 3.5 and let the install put it's version on?
Posted by Steve Kass on 8/6/2008 at 6:52 PM
I'm surprised that this is resolved as "by design"! Are you saying it is the intentional design to say "you need to install X" when the truth is "you need to install Y" and that if someone "figured it out" the issue is resolved? What kind of user experience are you aiming for?
Posted by john trigo on 7/18/2008 at 6:52 AM
Hi,

Just a small but relevant correction: You can download .NET 3.5 Service Pack 1. Otherwise you couldn't install SQL 2008 Express version.

JT
Posted by Microsoft on 7/4/2008 at 10:08 AM
Alexey,

SQL Server 2008 Setup includes a newer version of .Net 3.5 SP1 framework than the one available through download center (you need the Beta version). So, you need to use the one from SQL Server setup (.NET 3.5 SP1 Beta version, like you did).

Looks like you figured it out and your issue has been resolved. Please re-open if you encounter more problems around this.

Thanks,

Max Verun
SQL Server
Posted by Alexey.Smirnov on 7/4/2008 at 2:33 AM
The setup has been successfully completed after installation of .NET 3.5 Service Pack 1 (BETA) and Windows Installer 4.5. It was also nessary to install PowerShell after that.
Posted by Topstar on 7/23/2008 at 6:59 AM