The MOF Compiler could not connect with the WMI server by Xuejin Ruan

as Won't Fix Help for as Won't Fix

Opened: 7/15/2008 10:47:21 AM

I am trying to install SQL Server 2008 trial version in my local machine. However, I kept running into errors with the following error message:
"The MOF Compiler could not connect with the WMI Server. This is either because of a semantic error such as an incompatibility with the existing WMI repository or an actual error such as the failure of the WMI Server to start".

I checked on the WMI services, they are started and running. I ran sfc /scannow to check on system files. I also ran the following script trying to repair the WMI repository. However, none of them helped.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mofcomp -n:root\cimv2\applications\exchange wbemcons.mof
mofcomp -n:root\cimv2\applications\exchange smtpcons.mof
mofcomp exmgmt.mof
mofcomp exwmi.mof
net start winmgmt
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also ran "rundll32 wbemupgd, UpgradeRepository" to rebuild WMI repository, it doesn't help either. I got the same error message.

I had SQL server 2005 Expression running on my machine, and it works fine. I tried to wipe all the SQL instances in my local machine before installing SQL Server 2008, it doesn't help either.

Any ideas what settings I need to change in order to ensure a successful installation of SQL Server 2008?

Posted by helloise on 6/29/2009 at 2:29 AM
sorry that i post my question here but i also have a problem installing sqlexpress 2008 on vista home: The MOF Compiler could not connect with the WMI server

i ran the wmi diagnostics tool and the report said i have 3 files missing.

Windows Vista - Service pack 1 - 32-bit (6001) - User 'HELLOISESMIT\HELLOISE SMIT' on computer 'HELLOISESMIT'.
33400 11:01:08 (0) ** ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
33401 11:01:08 (0) ** Environment: ........................................................................................................ OK..
33402 11:01:08 (0) ** System drive: ....................................................................................................... C: (Disk #0 Partition #0).
33403 11:01:08 (0) ** Drive type: ......................................................................................................... IDE (FUJITSU MHZ2250BH G2).
33404 11:01:08 (1) !! ERROR: The following WMI system file(s) is/are missing: ............................................................. 3 ERROR(S)!
33405 11:01:08 (0) ** - C:\windows\System32\WBEM\framedyn.dll
33406 11:01:08 (0) ** - C:\windows\System32\WBEM\provthrd.dll
33407 11:01:08 (0) ** - C:\windows\System32\WBEM\wbemcomn.dll
33408 11:01:08 (0) ** => Recopy from a working system the missing WMI system files to 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WBEM\'
33409 11:01:08 (0) **
33410 11:01:08 (0) ** There are no missing WMI repository files: .......................................................................... OK.
33411 11:01:08 (0) ** WMI repository state: ........

then i did the following:
For Windows Vista
Open an elevated Command Prompt window. To do so, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

Type the following command:

winmgmt /salvagerepository
it said that the wmi repositpry is consistent...

how do i fix my problem...sorry had difficulty in creating my own post....but i have the same problem: The MOF Compiler could not connect with the WMI server. i stopped and started the service as well..

can anyone PLEASE help me...i am desperate
thanks
helloise
Posted by Microsoft on 6/3/2009 at 12:36 PM
As we looked in to this further for our next release, this is due to OS/WMI issue.

For diagnosing and fixing WMI issues, we suggest you refer to:

Thanks,
Max Verun
SQL Server
Posted by WW_MSDN on 9/30/2008 at 6:22 AM
I have the same issue with the same error message but SQL 2008 developer
Posted by jeffstewart45 on 9/20/2008 at 1:04 PM
I ran into the same problem? My question is there a fix or work around for this problem.
Posted by Microsoft on 8/1/2008 at 12:05 PM
Hello,

I asked a different team to take a look at the problem.

Regards,
Boris.
Posted by Xuejin Ruan on 7/24/2008 at 3:43 PM
Failed again, with the same error message. Attached please find the log files. You are right. I had multiple failure installing the instances. The first time when I installed it, I had SQL 2005 Express running on my local box, and I tried to install the full version of 2008. Since my disks used FAT32 partition, SQL server 2008 doesn't like it, so the first installation didn't work properly. I tried to uninstall it, and renstall a new instance. Anyway, I guess my nightmare started ever since then. As you mentioned, during my installation, MOF files needed to register the WMI providers were not created; then is there a way to fix it? I have been spent way too much time on this issue, and would like some helpful suggestions. Thanks!
Posted by Microsoft on 7/22/2008 at 11:18 AM
Hello,

From the setup logs it appears that the machine might have prior failed attempts of installing the same instance multiple times. This in turn, caused the subsequent installs to not create MOF files needed to register the WMI providers.

I would recommend the following: could you please do a clean install of a new instance (new name and new instance ID – do not change the instance ID that will be generated as you type the new name). I would also recommend installing a minimum configuration (e.g. if prior install already have tools installed, do not pick them again).

Please let me know if this succeeds or fails. If fails, attach full set of new setup logs (there will be a new folder under Logs). If it fails on WMI part, please run WMI diag after install and attach its logs as well (it generates at least 2 files: 1 summary, 1 detailed log, which is significantly bigger – attach both).

Regards,
Boris.
Posted by Xuejin Ruan on 7/21/2008 at 9:04 AM
Both of them are already in the attachments. The first one is: WMIDiag_REPORT.TXT, and the last one is: WMIdiag_July17.TXT

Thanks!
Posted by Microsoft on 7/17/2008 at 6:07 PM
Currenlty investigating. Could you please also attach full log from the first and last WMI diag run?

Thank you!
Posted by Xuejin Ruan on 7/17/2008 at 3:38 PM
Hi Boris,

I went through the log file resulting from WMIdiag.vbs, and tried to fix some of the problems. I still got some WMI related errors and I am not quite confident how to fix it. I am wondering whether you (or your colleague in WMI team) could offer some help. Attached please find the most recent log from WMIdiag.

Apparently during my numerious uninstall and reinstall of SQL Server 2008, I messed up with the security setting, and I also deleted something that upset the system. It is insteresting that SQL Server 2005 Express still runs ok in my box. Thanks!
Posted by Xuejin Ruan on 7/17/2008 at 8:49 AM
Hi Boris,

Attached please find the cab file, and Detail.txt. If you need some other files, please let me know. Again, I really appreciate your attention.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/16/2008 at 6:05 PM
Thank you for the files! Could you please attach full set of logs which is located in the following folder:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20080715_093707

Specifically at the moment I'm interested in Detail.txt, but if you could attach a full log set (there should be a cab file inside this directory) this would be great!

WMI diag report indicates security errors (modified ACLs on some namespaces) and also missing files which may be the reason for the failure.

Regards,
Boris.
Posted by Xuejin Ruan on 7/16/2008 at 4:23 PM
Hi Boris,

Thanks so much for your response. I ran WMIDiag.vbs script, and got the error report. I will attach that as well as the setup lots when attempting to install SQL Server 2008. Hopefully you would be able to diagnose for me. Again, your kind help is greatly appreciated.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/16/2008 at 9:23 AM
Hello,

To rule out WMI problems in general, please consider WMI troubleshooting (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394603.aspx) and specifically see WMIDiag (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/topics/help/wmidiag.mspx) output for any problems.

Regards,
Boris.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/15/2008 at 1:39 PM
Hello,

Thank you for reporting the issue. For us to investigate further, could you please attach setup logs from your attempts to install SQL Server 2008?

They are normally located under %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log

Boris.
Posted by Crakdkorn on 4/30/2009 at 4:45 PM
Possibly the issue was caused by uninstalling from add-remove programs - at any rate, using aaron bertrand's suggestion below fixed the issue. Also of note - I used the local admin for the install.

yes - remove msxml6 and any other half installed portion of sql 2008 and REBOOT and install sql
File Name Submitted By Submitted On File Size
Summary.txt (restricted) 7/16/2008 -
WMIDiag_REPORT.TXT (restricted) 7/16/2008 -
WMIdiag_July17.TXT (restricted) 7/17/2008 -
Detail.txt (restricted) 7/17/2008 -
LogSet_DPRG092_20080715_093707.cab (restricted) 7/17/2008 -
WMIDIAG-V2.0_XP___.CLI.SP2.32_DPRG092_2008.07.24_15.32.49-REPORT.TXT (restricted) 7/24/2008 -
WMIDIAG-V2.0_XP___.CLI.SP2.32_DPRG092_2008.07.24_15.32.49-STATISTICS.CSV (restricted) 7/24/2008 -
WMIDIAG-V2.0_XP___.CLI.SP2.32_DPRG092_2008.07.24_15.32.49.LOG (restricted) 7/24/2008 -
Detail.txt (restricted) 7/24/2008 -