Add Node to SQL Server failover Cluster failed with invalid SKU error by Ayad Shammout2

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 8/22/2008 12:21:16 PM

After creating new SQL Server failover cluster node, trying to add the 2nd node to the SQL failover cluster, after entering the product key (same key used for 1st node installation), hit next, I'm getting an error:

SQL Server Setup encountered the following error:

The current SKU is invalid.

I was able to work around it by running setup.exe from command prompt and it bypass this issue.
Posted by Matt.Shadbolt on 2/26/2009 at 9:36 PM
setup.exe /ACTION=AddNode /INSTANCENAME="MSSQLSERVER"
/SQLSVCACCOUNT="<Domain\Account>" /SQLSVCPASSWORD="<Password>"
/AGTSVCACCOUNT="<Domain/Account>", /AGTSVCPASSWORD="<Password>"
/ASSVCACCOUNT="<Account/Password>" /ASSVCPASSWORD=”<Password>” /INDICATEPROGRESS

Wroked for me :)

Matt
Posted by Fraenkel Assaf on 1/11/2009 at 12:23 AM
Posted by Ayad Shammout2 on 9/24/2008 at 11:36 AM
don't use /q after setup to launch the GUI setup and walk from there. It failed when I use setup.exe /q but works without /q.
Posted by dsmith-ServiceU on 9/16/2008 at 12:50 PM
For anyone else facing this issue, see the exact Setup.exe parameters needed to add a node here:

David
Posted by IgorX on 9/9/2008 at 11:30 AM
running setup.exe has not fixed the problem in my case
Posted by Microsoft on 9/2/2008 at 3:24 PM
Ayad,

This bug should be addressed in our first Cumulative Update for bug fixes for SQL Server 2008. If calling product support about this issue please reference SQL Hotfix bug 50003415.

-Richard Waymire
Posted by Robert Smit [MVP] on 10/28/2009 at 12:33 AM
Like pinky285 delete the defaultsetup.ini from install location in x86 or x64 depends on the install.
run the Setup add second node in the section of the product key the button is on the free edition, so change it to the enter product key and fill in the key that was in the defaultsetup.ini.

Test it 4 times and worked.
see my blog for screen shots. : http://fiberman.spaces.live.com/default.aspx
Posted by 自强不熄 on 9/3/2009 at 7:47 PM
1. del defaultsetup.ini or del ProductKEY in defaultsetup.ini file;
2. open cmd.exe command-line tool
3. Go to SQL 2008 disc disk path
4. type setup /SkipRules=Cluster_VerifyForErrors /ACTION=AddNode
5. USE deleted in defaultsetup.ini file ProductKEY type KEY INPUT BOX;
6. NEXT INSTALL.
finished Install.
if show : The current SKU is invalid ,please try it again.
Posted by 自强不熄 on 9/3/2009 at 7:40 PM
1. open cmd.exe command-line tool
2. Go to SQL 2008 disc disk path
3. type setup /SkipRules=Cluster_VerifyForErrors /ACTION=AddNode
finished Install.
if show : The current SKU is invalid ,please try it again.
Posted by Gar Bond on 11/14/2008 at 9:08 AM

First time I solved this error using this hotfix

but my config - two nodes active/active cluster.
And when I add second node to second SQL instance I get this error again.

Re-apply does not help.

Resolution - I copy the key from DefaultSetup.ini and delete file. Then I retry to install 2nd node and enter the key manualy.
Posted by tcibils on 11/10/2008 at 6:38 AM
In my case the problem occur only on second time off adding node, the first works fine.

The solution to adding sencond time is add node with comand line:
setup.exe /q /ACTION=AddNode /INSTANCENAME="<Insert Instance Name>" /SQLSVCACCOUNT="<SQL account used on other nodes>" /SQLSVCPASSWORD="<password for SQL account>" /AGTSVCACCOUNT="<SQL Server Agent account used on other nodes>", /AGTSVCPASSWORD="<SQL Server Agent account password>"
Posted by pinky285 on 9/20/2008 at 9:01 PM
remove defaultsetup.ini from install location or run add node from second node.
File Name Submitted By Submitted On File Size