Error "Unable to load client print control" when trying to print in the ASP.NET ReportViewer control by Danny -Dann IT-

as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

Opened: 2/10/2009 3:08:36 AM

I'm using the ASP.NET ReportViewer control from Microsoft to show reports from the SQL Server Reporting server into a web application on an intranet.

Since the security update ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP (KB956391) is installed on the client computers within our network, the following error occurs when clicking the Print button in the ReportViewer control: "Unable to load client print control"

When I uninstall this update, the error does not occur anymore and printing works fine. When I install this update again, the error occurs again.

The following properties are set at the ReportViewer control:
* ProcessingMode = Remote
* AsyncRendering = False

Since this update is very important on Windows XP machines, I think uninstalling is not the solution to this problem.

Is there any other solution?

Thanks,
Danny Scheelings
Smallweb
Posted by Microsoft on 7/14/2009 at 2:44 PM
Danny,
Thank you very much for following up with the information and I am glad to hear that your problem has been resolved.

I am resolving this bug as "Not Repro" as the problem has gone away.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback.

Stella Chan
SQL Server Reporting Services
Posted by L. Smith1 on 3/27/2009 at 11:35 AM
I had this problem, then I fixed it by applying the ssrs service pack. Printing worked fine, then all of a sudden printing broke again. Long story short, we'd added another server to the farm and it had the old dlls registered in the gac (8.x.x.042 iirc). Even though ssrs wasn't running on that server the dlls were being pulled from the gac by the web app and so we were getting the "Unable to Load Print Control" error. So, my thought process is that if you have either a scale out installation or you are using ssrs in custom code, you need to check to be sure that you are referencing the correct version of the dlls (8.x.x.1843). View the source on your rendered report page and look for the string "Reserved.ReportViewerWebControl.axd?" and pay attention to the version number further along in that line. If it isn't .1843 then somewhere along the way your version is wrong.

Hope this helps.

Posted by Danny -Dann IT- on 3/24/2009 at 1:00 AM
Hello Stella,

1. I have indeed installed SP3 with CU1 on the SQL Reporting Server 2005.
2. I am using a web application to view the reports. This web application is developed in Visual Studio 2008 and I have all the updates installed (from Brian's Blog)
3. The person who is viewing has indeed the rights to install an ActiveX control on the machine.

Oh no... now (3 weeks later) I check this issue again and the problem is solved. Maybe there are some automatic Windows Updates installed in the meantime which fixed the problem.
Sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks for your cooperation!

Regards,
Danny Scheelings
Posted by Microsoft on 3/23/2009 at 5:06 PM
Thank you for the additional informational.

In order for us to investigate your scenario, we would need more info about your environment.

1. On the SQL Server Reporting Services 2005, you have SP3 CU #1 installed. Could you confirm?
2. I am assuming that you are accessing the report directly by going to http://<servername>/reportserver/, and not via a custom web application.

If you are using the VS 2005 or VS 2008 Report Viewer controls, then please make sure that they have updated as well. (See Brian's Blog for the link to the actual download.)

3. And I assume the person viewing the report has the rights to install an ActiveX control on the machine used for viewering the report.

Are these conditions satisfied?

Stella Chan
Lead Program Manager
SQL Server Reporting Services
Posted by Toby Stephenson on 3/18/2009 at 1:00 AM
I have the same problem but with SQL2008 Reporting Services running on W2008 x64. The reports are those from CRM4.0.

There doesn't seem to be any updates for SQL 2008 that would correct this problem and I have tried removing the Kill Bits update from an XP machine. I also have the issue on Vista clients and from the W2008 Server console, so I'm not entirely certain that the previously prescribed advise is correct for my situation.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.
Posted by ashowen on 3/13/2009 at 7:53 AM
I'm having exactly the same problem

Originally I had the problem when the activex killbits update was released, we updated to SP2 and it was fine.

Then two days ago, updated to SP3... all my client machines are getting "unable to load print control" again if they don't have admin rights to their local machine.

Not good.
Posted by Danny -Dann IT- on 3/9/2009 at 1:26 AM
I have installed SQL Server 2005 SP3 with CU1 and all updates mentioned in this blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/brianhartman/archive/2008/11/05/client-print-fails-to-load-after-microsoft-update-956391.aspx, but it did not solve the problem (except the update for SharePoint, because we do not use SharePoint in our project)

I also checked http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms08-052.mspx, but I saw nothing new to install or update.

Do you have another solution?
Posted by Dennieku on 3/6/2009 at 2:56 AM
I have installed SQL Server 2005 SP3 and also the CU 1 for SP3 (all 64bit versions) but this did not solve the problem.

Now I will check the blog post at: http://blogs.msdn.com/brianhartman/archive/2008/11/05/client-print-fails-to-load-after-microsoft-update-956391.aspx. I hope this will solve the problem !!!
Posted by Microsoft on 3/3/2009 at 5:29 PM
Thank you for your feedback.

Please refer to the following articles on the resolution of the issue:

Stella Chan
Lead Program Manager
SQL Server Reporting Services
Posted by Jonathan Kehayias on 2/16/2009 at 8:48 PM
This is already fixed in CU 9 for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 or CU 1 for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3. Apply the appropriate CU to your install of Reporting Services on the Server, and the problem will go away:

Posted by Jonathan Kehayias on 2/16/2009 at 8:46 PM
You need to install the correct update to your Reports Server installation as per http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms08-052.mspx