Keep together property not working in SSRS 2008 by jagadeeshmk

Active

Opened: 3/31/2009 10:28:53 AM

Keep Together Property not working properly in SSRS 2008.This is happening in different scenarios.One of them is having more number of detail sections.Is there any work around or the property setting to achieve keep together property if you have more than 5 detail sections for a group.Also it seems not working when you have more number of groups.
Posted by Jefferson Miner on 11/27/2013 at 6:40 AM
The "Keep Together" property may not be so much malfunctioning as it is
misleading. According to TechNet "This will implicitly keep together the
single row [of data] with at least one instance of the group so that the row
is not orphaned. You can set this option on a data region or a group." In
other words, it may just be a way to maximize page real estate, while
prohibiting orphaned rows between pages, which is a no-no for all
presentation formats/documents.

As an alternative, I found that the List type of Data Region can be used
with Report Builder 3.0 to accomplish the desired goal. In my case I have
an executive summary report which has key discussion points with details
listed as bullets below. I want all bullets to appear below the key
discussion header, and on the same page. I created the List box, and then
dropped each of the fields in from the Report Data pane. I add a background
image for the bullets and increased the left badding of each textbox. I
also hide the text box (properties > visibility) if the data string was
empty. Added a little extra space to the size of the list box, and it all
worked out.

It has been a couple days since I did this, so the exact details may not be
all here. However, with some Report Builder know how, you should be able to
get it to work also. I'm not an expert, as I only started with Report
Builder two weeks ago. Good luck, and I hope this helps some of you!

(Note: Microsoft, it would still be nice if KeepTogether was modified, or
another property field was added, to make Tablix data regions work the way
we are all expecting it to.)
Posted by ansonee on 11/3/2013 at 4:10 PM
Has this issue ever been actually addressed/solved by Microsoft??? I have a situation where this is exactly the case and need to tell the client whether or not the behavior they wish to see is even possible.
Posted by Manoj kumar A on 12/13/2012 at 8:10 PM
Please fix this...
Posted by Jothivel on 10/23/2012 at 1:25 PM
Has this issue been resolved ? I have SQL Server 2008 R2 and I am running into the same issue.
Posted by adolf garlic on 5/23/2012 at 2:52 AM
'next major release will fix the issue'

Do I take that to mean that there will not be a patch for SSRS 2008?

I'm experiencing the same problem and have the following layout

Rectangle containing TablixA, TablixB

Tablix A contains Tablix A1, Tablix A2
Tablix B contains Tablix B1, Tablix B2

What is occuring is that the Tablix A and Tablix B 'header' row is being separated from the rest of the contents in A and B

Posted by FredyGonzales on 5/4/2012 at 3:16 PM

Tested and working:

BillVo : You might work around this by moving your details into a new group header. See:
Posted by FP_X on 2/15/2012 at 7:13 AM
I'm also experiencing wrong behavior from KeepTogether. The only place the report splits properly is when I look at it from IE (my dev machine or server). When I use the preview with Page Layout in designer from VS or when I export to pdf from IE, I get no page break between the groups. My test report is extremely simple 3 groups, 1 detail, 4 columns.

This issue has to be addressed. All workarounds are a way of accepting a bug. The option is there and it should simply work. I'm very frustrated with SSRS lately. I'm converting from crystal report because of support issues and now I see the support with SSRS is not much better. (no option of check box for boolean parameter, no blank parameter for multiple value, no visible time value when 00:00:00, etc......)
Posted by AndiBauer on 2/10/2012 at 11:47 AM
i'm confused -- this is still active yet people are saying it's fixed in SSRS 2008 R2 but i am having issues still.... i have a report which was built in 2005 and worked fine until we converted to 2008 R2.... There is one group along with the details group -- & i really don't want to redesign the table simply because the 'keep together' functionality broke with 2008 R2.... Suggestions? Updates?
Posted by SA Wells on 9/12/2011 at 12:45 AM
I think I have it figured out!

The problem was that Jatin was using VS 2008 Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services Designers, with RDL targeting Reporting Services 2008 R2 and expecting correct behaviour.

After spending many days trying to get it to work, I finally gave up and deployed to the server thinking it was incorrect - but after running it directly from Reporting Services server the grouping worked!

So the issue is - you have to deploy the report in order to see the correct grouping behaviour. Not very convenient!
Posted by Suman Rayabharapu1 on 8/26/2011 at 7:42 AM
Hi all,

I have tablix in my reports(sub reports) and i have set keep Together on one page if possible to true, this works well on PDF/Report viewer but not on Word export which is causing problems of extra unnecessary space in word document (2007 or 2010).

i am using VS 2010 Microsoft Reporting and Local mode.

Please let me know if you have any solution for this issues.
Posted by Microsoft on 5/2/2011 at 7:20 PM
Jatin, please make sure that your Viewer Control is accessing the right Reporting Services instance (2008 R2) and the ProcessingMode property is set to "Remote".

tbrown_dev, could you deploy your report to 2008 R2 and render it on the server directly (no Report Viewer involved)? It might be a different issue.

Krisztian B.
Posted by tbrown_dev on 5/2/2011 at 5:41 PM
Just upgraded our server and developer machines from 2008 to 2008 R2, we're still experiencing this problem (both in preview mode and on the server). We're using a report with 4 columns, expecting the KeepTogether property to keep data together across the columns (as was the behavior in 2005). This is not working.

Are there any other suggestions? Is there a hotfix we need to install on top of R2? Please help.
Posted by swan-e on 12/22/2010 at 12:32 PM
The solution suggested by Krisztian B doesn't appear to work based on Jatin's feedback...

Can anyone from Microsoft suggest a working solution?

Thanks,
Sander
Posted by JatinDua on 11/25/2010 at 2:44 PM
Hi Krisztian,

Thanks for your feedback. The report is targeting SQL Server 2008 R2 reporting services engine and we are using .RDL. The Report Viewer is on server mode but its still not honoring the KeepTogether = True. We also export to PDF which is not honoring the KeepTogether = True for the group as well. Please advice.

Thanks

Jatin
Posted by Veeren K Chowdary on 11/16/2010 at 11:42 PM
I am facing this issue in SSRS 2008 R2.If any body from microsoft has to confirm that weather this issue was resolved If so please let me know the steps.
Posted by max_L on 10/13/2010 at 3:30 AM
Hi,

so the only solution is to get a Reporting Server and switch from local mode to server mode?

MaxL
Posted by Microsoft on 9/23/2010 at 5:55 PM
The reason you still have the issue might be because you are using the Report Viewer (shipped with VS 2010) in Local Mode. Report Viewer is based on SSRS 2008, however the KeepTogether bug was fixed in the pagination module (in R2) that you can use by switching Report Viewer to Server Mode and run your reports against SSRS 2008 R2.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
Krisztian B.
Posted by JatinDua on 9/23/2010 at 4:20 PM
Hi Guys,

Doesn any one know whether this has been fixed with SRS 2008 R2? We have recently upgraded to SRS 2008 R2, but KeepTogether still doesnt work!! I have set KeppTogether = tru for the Detail, the group and the Static column groups as well. Still no luck :( Microsoft guys, can you please help?
Posted by Lachlan01 on 7/14/2010 at 1:22 PM
Aaargh the report designer (in VS2010 at least) must be one of THE most confusing, unusable, pieces of UI I have EVER had the misfortune of using!!!

I wish I could go back to a simple report designer like Visual FoxPro had where everything was very simple, but allowed for great complexity if you knew what you were doing. The new designer seems to be the opposite; extremely complex designer that can only produce simple results???

Come on, all I want to do is keep two detail rows together on the page, is that such a big ask?? I am wasting so much time on trial and error report designing, it is really p**sing me off!!!

Posted by sindrejensen on 6/15/2010 at 7:23 AM
Well .. I have now installed a Sql Server 2008 R2 server and as far as I can tell the Microsoft.ReportViewer.WinForms.dll is exactly the same as contained in Visual Studio 2010 wich STILL has this bug present. I must say this is really disappointing, producing boring listings is actually probably the main reason for having a reporting system in the first place. I wish Microsoft ha dropped the Gauges and spent their development time on making the existing features work properly. My company would also really like to see a way of formatting a large text field, ie. using a RTF format or similar. I haven't checked if this is a feature that have been added yet. Lets just say my hopes aren't high ..
Posted by sindrejensen on 6/10/2010 at 7:38 AM
I'm also wondering if anyone can confirm that this bug is actually fixed now? I'm really wondering why there aren't more people complaining about this bug.
Posted by Ross Information Technologies on 5/10/2010 at 11:52 AM
Has anyone installed R2 to verify that the "Keep Together" bug is fixed?
Posted by sidE12 on 4/26/2010 at 9:17 AM
If i already have a license for SQL Server 2008 will this require purchasing an upgrade to R2, or will there be a service pack for this bug?
Posted by Microsoft on 3/17/2010 at 4:45 PM
The next major release is the upcoming SQL Server 2008 R2, expected in the first half of this year.

Krisztian B.
Posted by gorndor on 3/17/2010 at 1:12 PM
I would also like to know when the fix is expected to be released, or at the least where we can find a release schedule for SSRS.
Posted by Anna.1 on 3/11/2010 at 1:28 AM
I'd also like to know when the fix is expected to be released. Thank you.
Posted by ATexas1 on 2/25/2010 at 2:16 PM
I'd also like to know what is meant by "next major release". And when can this be expected?
Posted by Paul Maynard on 11/5/2009 at 3:13 AM
What is meant by next major release? When can this be expected?
Posted by Microsoft on 5/28/2009 at 10:28 AM
The solution for the original issue will fix this problem as well.

Krisztian
Posted by David Laplante on 5/14/2009 at 12:05 PM
I've got a related issue where I have a Detalls group inside a parent group. This parent group is for regions of the world and has KeepTogether set to true (actually, Details also has KeepTogether to true) and as soon as I add a sort on the parent group, it does not "keep together" anymore. remove the sort and KeepTogether works as expected.

Furthermore, I have compared the XML of both files (in working state and non-working state) and the only difference found was these lines:
        <SortExpressions>
         <SortExpression>
            <Value>=Fields!GroupingSort.Value</Value>
         </SortExpression>
        </SortExpressions>
Posted by Microsoft on 4/15/2009 at 1:30 PM
Thank you for filing this issue. The next major release will handle the KeepTogether property correctly.

Regards,
Krisztian B.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/2/2009 at 5:09 PM
Thank you for submitting this issue. If you have any sample reports that show this issue, please attach them to this issue. Thanks.
Posted by rnbergren on 4/22/2014 at 8:03 AM
Added in a grouping for one the record then put all the detail lines inside the grouping and it seems to work 90%. Set the size to 1pixel high and wide and set can grow to False and set white text on white background and it works.

More details there.
Posted by FredyGonzales on 5/4/2012 at 3:16 PM

Tested and working:

Posted by Mike Rees on 10/5/2011 at 2:13 PM
To get the 'Keep Together' function to work in a Word Export:
    Reduce the detail rows to one.
    If you require more detail rows:
        Merge all the cells in the single detail row
        Add a rectangle to this single cell which will allow you to add multiple controls the this cell
        If you need a sub-report in the cell add another rectangle so its nested in the first rectangle and add the sub report
Posted by Veeren K Chowdary on 11/16/2010 at 11:12 PM
As i mentioned earlier i am not able to resolve this issue with SSRS 2008 R2 in the server side.Its showing correctly in BIDS but not from the reprot server.

Anybody have solution ot steps for this.
Posted by Veeren K Chowdary on 11/16/2010 at 6:58 AM
When i am using the SSRS 2008 i faced the same issue for the Subreports with in a main report and when we export the report into pdf we got extra balnk spaces in the pdf output format.We migrated the reports to SSRS 2008 R2 this solved the issues within the reports.

Posted by Ed Hartley1 on 9/2/2010 at 4:44 PM
In the visual studio report designer it seems you can put a two header row table with no detail row inside a cell. This then seems to keep them together and pulls the correct data from the parent.

Its not always a viable option and there's a lot of faffing with padding and borders to get it to look right.
Posted by BillVo on 8/18/2009 at 12:56 PM
You might work around this by moving your details into a new group header. See: