SSIS VS2010 project type by Greg Fricke

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Type: Suggestion
Opened: 11/5/2009 10:51:41 AM

We want to upgrade our ETL solution to VS 2010 since it has our test projects, db projects, code, etc. along with the ETL, but we cannot since there is no 2010 ssis project type, nor one in the pipe. Can we get one asap?

See details here:
Posted by Kerry Jiang on 10/26/2013 at 11:16 PM
I cannot find the projects types of SQL Server BI even after I installed SQL Server Data Tool. In the standalone SQL Server Data Tool, I also cannot find those projects types...
Posted by twhensley on 12/3/2012 at 12:38 PM
What is really bad is I don't even expect it to be different or have any improvements. I just expect it to BE THERE.
Posted by RickGot on 8/29/2012 at 1:46 PM
It's almost as though Microsoft has forgotten that they sell software to customers ... which makes them a VENDOR, and nothing more. When vendors fail to meet their customer's expectations, they lose customers and give themselves a black eye in the marketplace. Eventually, the market will determine the survival/profitability of vendors. (many don't survive)

This is a particularly pathetic bug in Visual Studio, Microsoft. You should be ashamed of yourselves, particularly the member of your staff that closed this as "fixed".
Posted by Nonny-Mouse on 8/16/2012 at 3:38 AM
This has been closed as fixed - so is there a SSIS VS2010 project type now? I can't seem to find it.
Posted by Darwin Fisk on 5/21/2012 at 12:51 PM
Now that the new version of SQL Server (2012) is out, are SSIS packages supported as a project type in VS 2010?
Posted by kdn on 4/12/2012 at 10:34 AM
Posted by Microsoft on 6/10/2011 at 3:54 PM
It is unlikely that we will address this issue sooner than our upcoming SQL Server release "Denali." You can examine a Community Technology Preview (CTP) of Denali now, or wait until its release, scheduled for early 2012.

We're rapidly approaching the mid-point of 2012....and still waiting. I'm starting to regret leaving the *NIX world and investing all of my skills in M$. Now we will be forced to buy a new product to get something that should have been in there on day 1. The most expensive VS to date and still lacking!
Posted by mkadlec on 2/27/2012 at 9:03 AM
MS is sabotaging their own product here, I'm a fan of VS and SSIS, but this was/is a real disappointment. Really surprised that MS left a lot of users in the lurch on this issue, even more surprised that they haven't responded more openly and detailed as to why they haven't been able to bring this to VS2010 for the past 2 years.
Posted by Food Fan on 1/25/2012 at 11:19 AM
The two down votes on this mega OVERSIGHT must be from MSFT SQL Server/SSIS crew.
Posted by DaveWendt on 12/9/2011 at 6:27 PM
THIS IS STILL SUCKING....    I migrated all WinForm projects to VS2010 and then uninstalled VS2008. Now I want to create my first SSIS package for SQL2K8 but can't do it. SQL Server install already thinks BIDS is installed and won't let me uninstall/reinstall. Haven't tried reinstalling VS 2008, but I would image at this point all the SSIS options will be toast as well once I reinstall VS2008. :(    MS - YOU REALLY F'D UP ON THIS ONE!
Posted by shick1 on 9/21/2011 at 8:25 AM
This is unacceptable!!! When a NEW product is released it needs to be and is fully expected to be backwards compatible. Why is there no SSIS project type for VS2010? Ooh SNAP!!! I get it, it was a SCAM all along... Everyone buy's VS2010 without SSIS support thus when VS20xx is released with SSIS support we'll all be tricked into buying it as well. Kind of like when Microsoft release Windows ME (which completely SUCKED) and then we where forced to buy Windows XP to fix all the problems of Windows ME. Shame on me (no pun intended) for not seeing this coming sooner with Windows Vista and Windows 7 and now VS2010 & SQL 2008. Seems to me that this is the business model practiced by Microsoft, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it goes something like this. Release a completely worthless product full of empty promises designed to clean the pockets of it's consumers, only to ACT as our savor when a new released purchasable product is unveiled to bandage our ANTI-TRUST issues. As the acting CIO of a new tech start-up company here in the Valley, I think I will do the responsible thing, the thing I should have done two years ago. I think it's time to switch our development team back to Java & Oracle-CDC and tell Microsoft to PISS off one final time.
Posted by Fırat Esmer on 9/7/2011 at 11:37 AM
I can't wait for "Denali"? Oh... Come on?
Posted by Vaccanoll on 8/23/2011 at 10:23 AM
Closed as fixed? How is this fixed? Where is the SSIS project in my VS2010? (Maybe I missed it? I hope so.)

But if not, then how can this be "Fixed"? It should at least be given the dignity of a "Won't Fix" status.
Posted by Microsoft on 6/10/2011 at 3:54 PM

-- The SSIS Team
Posted by mrkb80 on 6/2/2011 at 1:42 PM
This really should be addressed sooner then SQL11.
Posted by Sphengle on 5/27/2011 at 2:51 AM
VS 2010 takes up so much memory that my machine becomes unusable when I have 2010 and 2008 open at the same time.

Come on guys - why aren't Business Intelligence projects included?
Posted by Darren Watkins on 5/13/2011 at 10:28 PM
I am absolutely amazed. I'm a developer with over 20 years experience in the industry and cannot believe that Microsoft has not included support for SSAS/SSIS and SSRS projects in VS2010. I just ordered 2 copies of the software for a client expecting it would include the latest features and support for these project types.
I am now left to continue to use VS2008 alongside VS2010 which only creates a confusing IDE platform.
Microsoft, you need to correct this anomoly ASAP to ensure your customers continue to purchase your software.
Posted by Ed Graham on 5/13/2011 at 3:57 AM
A wholesale PR blunder! Did anyone at Microsoft actually do any martket research to see what the impact of this decision would be? And how can this possibly be marked as "Resolved"?
Posted by cybervisionis on 4/29/2011 at 8:01 AM
Unbelievable, unacceptable, inexcusable and worst of all... UNANNOUCED!
Posted by John Saunders on 3/25/2011 at 6:37 PM
Two things:
1) Much worse than not being able to use VS2010 to develop BI applications is the fact that I can't get BIDS (VS2008) to work with TFS2010. Everything we're doing depends on TFS2010, except that we still have no integration with it in BIDS.
2) Over the years, I've repeatedly heard the whine about staggered release schedules. That would be less of an issue if you would branch your code base. When Visual Studio 2010 came out, I would have been a very happy person if I could have used VS2010 to do the exact same things I had done with VS2008 BIDS. Even if there were a newish version of SSIS with new features, I'd have been happy enough if the new features were only accessible in VS2008, just so long as I could continue to maintain my existing packages in VS2010, and to develop new packages with the old functionality in that release.

If access to the new functionality in the new VS release came 12 months later, then that would be regrettable, but it would be much more acceptable than having you force us to continue to use old versions of Visual Studio.

Surely this would put the SQL Server team in the same position as every other developer of Visual Studio add-ins. What in the world are you you doing that makes you so very different? _Every_ third-party developer of Visual Studio add-ins has a "staggered release schedule"!

BTW, I could _swear_ I've made the "branched product" suggestion before, only to hear from the PM, "our customers expect new features from new releases". No doubt. But I also expect your _existing_ features to work with _new_ releases of Visual Studio.
Posted by Julius Jackson on 2/3/2011 at 9:59 AM
Consider this. What exactly would have to go into VS 2010 to make SSIS, SSAS and SSRS projects work?

Logic? I'm afraid not. The same logic for working with these types of projects should not differ greatly between 2008 and 2010.

Project system? Nope. There wouldn't be much change to the XML for these project files, right? No new functionalities to consider; just a straight port.

The UI? THAT is a different story. I'd imagine that the #1 (unspoken) reason for this travesty is the sheer amount of Windows Forms-based code that has to be converted to WPF for VS 2010. If you've seen how many different forms and types of controls are in the SSIS and SSAS projects, you KNOW this could take a while.

And, of course, Microsoft isn't trying to release any hack jobs, now are they?

But I digress. This SUCKS.
Posted by Yatish Ram on 1/27/2011 at 8:13 AM
It is a joke actually. Everytime you report a bug they refuse to admit it as a bug. They are ready to provide you support if you are ready to pay lot of money.
Posted by catseye n on 12/30/2010 at 7:53 PM
Is this a joke? Integration Services not integrating with latest VS version. I feel for the people below that found this problem the hard way!
Posted by MarkInToronto on 12/3/2010 at 8:10 AM
Huge oversight. What happened to streamlining the work of a developer?
Posted by NathanG on 11/17/2010 at 12:42 PM
This will apparently be fixed in SQL Server "Denali"
Posted by PeterBannister on 10/12/2010 at 5:30 AM
We have just migrated all key development onto TFS2010/VS2010 and implemented a test driven environment. However as we have started to migrate some of our products onto this platform we found that we cannot link a SSIS project to our VS2010 solutions - client projects are suffering the same issue.
This is creating unnecessary management, testing and deployment issues.
Can you give any timeframes as to when this will be addressed - e.g. by the end of 2010, so we can plan accordingly
Posted by rusyn011 on 10/11/2010 at 7:35 AM
with cash reserves alone at circa 40 to 50 billion dollars, it is inexcusable that Microsoft did not provide an SSIS project type for VS2010. the company apparently is run by bean counters, and not anymore by true visionaries. as a result, we all suffer while this monolith is apparently unable to respond --no, refuses to respond -- in any timely manner to this problem.
Posted by Tim Paulsen on 10/1/2010 at 4:18 PM
Let me get this straight. In order to create a 2008 R2 database project, we need VS 2010. In order to create an integration services project for 2008 R2, we need VS 2008. Hmm, definitely sounds like a great reason to upgrade our databases to 2008 R2 (slight sarcasm). If you want to track changes in TFS, you need VS 2010, but to do any work you need VS 2008. This is extremely frustrating and apparently we have to wait until sometime in 2011 for a solution!!!
Posted by tbedwards on 10/1/2010 at 2:12 PM
It is unbelievable that this has not yet been addressed, especially when you couple it with the fact that SSMS 2008 R2 still doesn't support custom reports developed in anything beyond BIDS 2005. It is really unacceptable to be given the answer that maybe these items will be addressed in SQL Server 2011, which is still a year+ from RTM'ing.
Posted by madestro on 9/14/2010 at 1:46 PM
Wow. I just cannot believe this. I mean, seriously, I wasn't happy with the designer in the earlier version, but I would rather have the same piece of junk in the new version than having to run two instances.

Simply unacceptable.
Posted by Og Hess on 9/1/2010 at 1:16 PM
You say major release - does this mean SQL Server 2008 R2? A service pack? Some future release like SQL 201x?

This is really inconvenient.
Posted by Dan Plaskon on 8/30/2010 at 7:36 AM
What an incredible....oversight!
Posted by Microsoft on 8/27/2010 at 11:26 AM
Thank you for contacting us. Your issue is in our plans to be addressed in an upcoming major release of SQL Server.

Please continue to contact us with any further questions, suggestions and issues as they arise.
Posted by Alexander Limacher on 8/26/2010 at 12:40 AM
just upgraded to vs2010. i have many ssis-projects. thank you, microsoft, you are really crazy guys!!
Posted by wahoo321 on 8/18/2010 at 5:38 AM
Is there a solution to this? Does R2 fix the problem?
Posted by VA3AE on 8/17/2010 at 9:18 AM
How very, very disappointing.
Posted by SQLDeveloper-Sonia on 8/16/2010 at 4:03 AM
I just installed VSTS 2010 and figured out that BI projects and solutions cannot be opened with VSTS2010. I am very much disappointed as I am not able to open my SSIS package in 2008 as well.
Posted by lwoodyiii on 8/10/2010 at 12:55 PM
Ridiculous indeed! The most frustrating thing is that this is marked as "Resolved", because we don't want to do it. If it was active, it would be in the top-five active suggestions. Shame on you Sql Server team.
Posted by Gordon Neuls1 on 8/9/2010 at 2:54 PM
If Microsoft thinks not fixing the use of BIDS projects types in VS 2010 is a good idea they are really not listening to the development community. I do not know a web application that dooes not use a database to provide information. and from a wholistic perspective we use SSIS, SRS, ASP.NET and other technologies as a harmonized solution. Removing functionality as a "Feature" is just plain upsetting to those of us that are looking for better ways to integrate all aspects of project development.
Posted by Bart Kemps on 7/30/2010 at 2:28 AM
Not only would I expect a SSIS project type, I would also expect VS2010 to be multi-targeting in this respect. In other words, I would expect to be able to open SSIS 2008 R2, 2008 and maybe even 2005 packages.

Visual Studio provides an excellent framework for extension. Using plugins I can use it to edit not only the default dotnet languages, but also languages like Delphi, PHP and Flex. Even Oracle databases.
We managed to integrate all third party development projects to one version of visual studio. But it's worth it: switching between applictions is a huge productivity killer.

It's mind boggling that it should be Microsofts own database should be the show stopper here.

If the IDE is loosely coupled with the extensions it should be relatively easy to port any Visual Studio Plugin to a newer version. If not, well... I'm just not a happy customer.
Posted by ALMArchitect on 7/27/2010 at 1:22 PM
This puts up a huge roadblock for Microsoft to be taken seriously as a full Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) solution provider. It’s very disappointing given all of the potential of the new platform and the push by Microsoft to gain traction in the ALM space.

Most clients I deal with have at least some degree of SSxS, and this oversight essentially prevents migration to VS2010/.Net 4 for the majority of them for now (ever?). Even those clients who have decided to trudge forward with multiple IDEs, 2 versions of TFS and the source code fiddling/disconnect, have done so with a serious loss of confidence in Microsoft as a development partner.
Posted by Marcos on 7/26/2010 at 1:38 PM
I just about never comment on stuff like this but *come on*!!! this is ridiculous!
Posted by sephraim on 7/26/2010 at 7:37 AM
We we looking in purchasing a VS 2010 license and one requirement was BI functionality. I was surprised that no editions of 2010 included this. We may have to reconsider our plans at this point.
Posted by EduCoder1 on 7/22/2010 at 7:04 AM
I'll certainly pile on and add my 2 cents to the discussion. I was shocked to find out SSIS support had been dropped from VS2010. The tool is indispensible now. Come on Microsoft, don't just build what you want to build, build what your customers need! This is the way so many big companies end up; the "I'm the phone company and people will come to me" mentality. Well we know what happened to that big phone company.
Posted by Jason88 on 7/20/2010 at 8:57 AM
The reasoning behind this is incomprehensible, typical MSFT, let's rush this out, drop a few items, and make everyone suffer.
Posted by Will Durning on 7/12/2010 at 8:33 AM
How lame. Really?! We (the development community that supports MSFT) have to once again bear the burden of MSFT's stupidity. That a company can continue to make these sorts of "mistakes" and dump on their user base says a lot about the arrogance (and stupidity) at MSFT today. However, that we as developers continue to live in their dev world says more about us. It is like a sick, twisted and unhealthy relationship....instead of being the victims, I say it is time to leave for other dev tools and companies that support and actually work with their user base.
Posted by danielbender on 7/5/2010 at 7:15 AM
SSIS in my view is a must have for VS 2010
Posted by Tom Edell on 7/4/2010 at 6:05 PM
We all are crying out load our frustrations regarding MSFT's lack of internal communication and collaboration between different application development teams.

How is it possible to start advertising and then releasing VS2010 at this current time?
And especially when MSFT is fully aware of the missing functionality, to use SSIS in this development suite? How long time must we wait?
Is a new full version SQL Server scheduled to be released in 2011?
Even if it was a 3-years period between the 2 latest SQL versions, is it not unlike MS to postpone the next SQL-released till 2013.

Microsoft's reputation as a reliable supplier of new application releases is already bad enough!
We have all experienced embarrassing MS-mistakes repeating themselves from time to time, often when a new MS application or version is released.
But even in the collection of these mistakes, this blunder must be one of the Top 5 in the:
"Microsoft's worst blunders list”!

How can MS expect developers migrating to VS2010, when it will be commonly known that VS2010 is missing SSIS functionality?
MS showing no willingness to come up with a solution, or even just a date for a fix release.
How long time must we wait?
It can be 2-3 years before MS release a SSIS that is tailor-made to work with VS2010.

It's like a car company advertising a fantastic new car model, with brilliant new features.
So you were convinced to buy one...
Then when you get your new car, you notice that the car is delivered without an engine, and the engine is not expected to be arriving any time soon.
Then when all the customers are asking for a date delivery of the engine, the car company will not respond with any good explanations for why the car was delivered without an engine, or when you could expect it to arrive.
And then when you ask them to install the old engine from the previous model, the only explanation you get is that the only engine that fits into your car is the original one.

MSFT should at least have the courtesy to explain the reason behind their policy to only accept one version of SSIS fitting only one version of VS.
MS should also come up with a date when we can expect such a SSIS version fitting VS2010 to be released. ASAP!!
Posted by Shane Rowland on 7/2/2010 at 12:30 PM
I too would love to be able to use one IDE for managing SSIS and BI products both 2005 and 2008. This would greatly enhance the managibility of my projects. This is especially frustrating when managing custom code for SSIS and then projects of SSIS themselves.
Posted by Luiz O U Vianna on 6/30/2010 at 10:23 AM
Joing myself to this massive request...

Years ago, everyone of us were being discussing about legacy compatibility and maintenance. This was a concern about systems that were developed "thousand" versions before.

Now, we having dificulties to keep compatibility moving just one version to the next. All developers know (or should) that keep a project on 2 IDEs (Vs2008 and Vs2010) its not just less productive, but also very expensive to manage teams, standards and internal development procedures.

The indirect costs of maintening both IDEs are much higher than the cost of moving from one to another. What means that, until SSIS is not supported on VS2010, seems to be better to stay on VS2008.

By the way, I don´t know if I´m losing something here, but I did not understand cleary if this is a temporary situation (MS will release a path, SP, or something to include SSIS but was not done yet) or a final issue (MS will NOT provide SSIS project type on VS2010, never).

I would like to be claryfied on that.

Thanks
Posted by bdambrose on 6/22/2010 at 10:40 AM
Are you joking? What team lead would want their team to have to maintain two sepearate solutions? This is a HUGE oversight by Microsoft. Why don't they come out with a new OS and then say, sorry, we don't support internet browsers...use XP to browse the internet.

This needs to be corrected ASAP. I was responsible for getting my company to upgrade, now I'm going to recommend that we do not upgrade.
Posted by nojetlag on 6/17/2010 at 2:43 AM
Why over the last few years I get more and more the feeling MSFT is loosing its power in so many areas. What are you telling us about different product cycles? The next version of SQL is promoted as being R2. Which is very close to the release date of VS2010. And you are just not supporting it. I feel you guys totally did drop the ball here. If you can't coordinate your own inhouse products anymore I getting big doubts in your ability to execute. Did you think about the implications on the TFS side ? Should we keep supporting several versions of each of MSFTs products just because MSFT can't get their act together (meanwhile APPL and GOOG are beating the crap out of you in so many areas that have a bright future). Frustrated, but also sad to see how weak you got MSFT.
Posted by Scott Tembreull on 6/16/2010 at 1:20 PM
I am trying to upgrade all of the projects I work on to the latest version of Visual Studio... After converting my reporting services app, it just wouldn't open the rptproj project. Oh well, back to '08...

The guys down at Microsoft need to start working together... I can still remember Iain McDonald's words in 2002 when he was asked why Visual Studio was not used for Windows OS development, "Visual Studio sucks."

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.
Posted by jp123542346 on 5/27/2010 at 7:38 PM
I could live with having to use BIDS 2008 and VS 2010 for everything else, for now, but at a minimum I need to be able to save all code in VSTFS 2010 source control. Having two TFS versions isn't workable.
Posted by kallidean on 5/20/2010 at 10:46 AM
Not including SSIS support in 2010 is was an unfortunate decision. Regardless of the motivation, I am sure it was not made to spite developers, but rather constrained by the stages of two different product lifecycles. Remember vs 2010 IDE has been re-written as a WPF application. The SSIS designer would have to be re-written as a WPF application as well in order to be hosted in the 2010 environment. Visually it's a fairly complex tool which can and probably will be a modified WF Rehosting.

If there was a choice between a feature being rushed and poorly coded or excluded from a release, I would rather it be excluded. I do hope MS puts a priority on this as many developers, including myself, are severely hindered by not having this essential tool as part of our toolset.
Posted by Kevin Dahl on 5/19/2010 at 6:49 AM
Just another crater in the mine field of Microsoft's forward/backward compatbility debacle. I love the products but grow ever so wary of the constant push/pull to upgrade everything only to find that x, y and z aren't supported in the new product. And the mantra from MSDN, Technet and Connect is always 'that bug/feature will be fixed in the next version', with the caveat of course being that YOU won't be able to USE that next version... I'm tired of trying to juggle the software puzzle that it seems to take to develop solutions with MS products. There are currently over 80 MS software packages installed on my development workstation, all precariously intertwined with each other - and it only takes one of them to break for my productivity to go down the drain for days on end. After tracking down the issue with the reluctant 'priority' support on MSDN I'm likely to hear that same old mantra again.

Well I'm starting to develop a mantra of my own in all my new found spare time, something about those IBM tools starting to look pretty attractive...
Posted by KevinC_At_FIServ on 5/17/2010 at 2:22 PM
Just adding my voice to this gang of like minded developers. The problem seems to be that the dtproj file format is not an MSBuild-compatible format like other VS project files (dbproj, csproj, vbproj, etc.). It doesn't seem like it would be terribly difficult for MSFT to release a GDR or service pack to VS 2010 adding support to a new dtproj-like file. Not having support for dtproj files in VS 2010 is a huge barrier to adoption of this otherwise awesome tool.
Posted by Mike_Joaquin on 5/14/2010 at 9:24 AM
Oya! Forgot to mention the my Reporting Services apps migrated to 2010 sucessfully!
Posted by Mike_Joaquin on 5/14/2010 at 9:21 AM
I just recently installed VS2010, and SQL server 2008 and added SP1 to 2008..... applied all the windows updates and brought over all my existing c#, BI (both integration service and Analysis service) project to new machine. I migrated the c# project with no problem. If I (don't open solution) but click on the solution via explorer, the SSIS or SSAS solution opens up with a small icon with the number 9 in it and works as expected. Since SQL Server 2008 install creates the BI IDE tool that use to be accessible via VS2008, it appears that the recent window upgrades has now push the BI VS 2008 look and feel into a quasi 2008/2010 ..... 2009 version look and feel... at first I thought it was 2010 but it has the little icon in the left hand corner that looks like the original 2008 icon but with a number 9 in it. Not really sure what is going on here but this may be MS approach to bringing the 2010 IDE up to date.
Posted by Frank Szendzielarz on 5/14/2010 at 12:22 AM
MS - you need to get BI support in VS 2010 immediately. It is difficult enough to promote MS products within the organisation without having to deal with this kind of insanity. Your opportunity costs with this are practically immeasurable.
Posted by DanielSKim on 5/13/2010 at 4:04 PM
I believe when the "next version of SQL Server" refers to the version after SQL Server 2008 R2. The situation still applies with R2 - only VS 2008 support.
Posted by Bryant Byrd on 5/13/2010 at 1:19 PM
This will largely prevent our company from adopting VS 2010 until SQL Server 2008 R2 is released (assuming it will support VS 2010). Our database, application, and ETL needs are too tightly interwoven not to be able to maintain them in a single solution. That's the whole purpose of a VS Solution, is it not? I think the VS and SQL teams need to coordinate a little better on this sort of thing.
Posted by Microsoft on 5/5/2010 at 7:01 PM
First of all, thank you to those customers who have offered feedback regarding how your work and productivity are impacted by Integration Services (SSIS) not yet being available in Visual Studio 2010. As developers ourselves, we certainly understand the frustration you have reported in having two Visual Studio instances installed and maintained on your development machines. While this side-by-side configuration works, it is certainly a less ideal solution to operating SSIS from within VS 2010. Unfortunately, the staggered ship cycles of the two products (VS and SSIS) and some convoluted dependencies did not allow us to reunite the development environments of both tools until the next version of SQL Server.

Meanwhile, please be assured that SSIS projects continue to be supported by Visual Studio both now and into the foreseeable future. Until the next version of SQL Server, we will be happy to discuss with any Visual Studio 2010 customer ways in which they can optimize the interoperability of VS and SSIS. We apologize for any inconvenience and are committed to improving your user experience both now and in the future.

Jeff Bernhardt
Product Unit Manager
SQL Server Integration Services
Posted by Erik Bo on 5/5/2010 at 12:58 AM
Just installed SQL Server 2008R2 RTM - and to my (and our customer's) disappointment I found out that Microsoft still do not support Business Intelligence (including SSRS/SSIS/SSAS) projects in Visual Studio 2010.

Even more disappointing is Microsoft’s apparently total neglect of this issue – at the very least Microsoft should show the courtesy of explaining the road map for Visual Studio support for Business Intelligence projects.

This might all turn out to be a very unwise business decision by Microsoft.

Please come on Microsoft – get your act together!
Posted by PXPT1 on 5/4/2010 at 3:50 AM
I am astounded.

We just tried to shift our code base over to VS2010 and hit the problem with SSIS and SSRS. We now have to alter our projects and code to segregate the various bits depending on which VS version they will work under. Sheer madness. Some heads should roll with this one. Not happy at all!
Posted by Nick Foster on 5/4/2010 at 2:19 AM
I can't believe I now need 3 versions of Visual Studio installed, one for SSIS against SQL2005, one for SSIS against SQL2008 and one for writing code. This is getting worse instead of better! >:(
Posted by Sarge1 on 5/3/2010 at 1:25 PM
I am stunned.

I am in the midst of a project and I shifted to VS2010. When I go to convert my SSIS packages, I hit a problem and discovered that BIDS is not supported in VS2010!!!!! Microsoft - ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND!!! As I upgrade to new releases, I don't expect to LOSE functionality! No where in all of the announcements of how great VS2010 is was there any mention of BIDS capability being dropped.

To the individual in Microsoft that made this decision: YOU made a bad decision and you burned your customers. I would expect a stupid decision like this out of IBM, not Microsoft.

Enough said. Now Microsoft, you need to fix this problem immediately and get this support in VS2010, and I mean NOW. I do not mean wait for SQL2008 R2. I won't be able to migrate to that version of SQL for between 1-2 years after it is released.

I wonder what other features are missing that I have not found out about yet.

Posted by Flakster on 4/22/2010 at 2:32 PM
SSIS support is paramount. We've come to rely on it, particularly if one has done any SSRS work.

Come on MSFT!
Posted by TiPi on 4/21/2010 at 9:38 AM
Request to VS 2010 Team: Please add support to SSIS project and Analysis Service projects. Thanks in advance.
Posted by azza_gregg on 4/21/2010 at 2:18 AM
Disappointing..

There are so many cases where teams will have one solution under source control and many projects for the different aspects of the software architecture, one or more being database aspects (ssis, ssas etc).

If the members of my team can not work together under the same solution and see each others work using the same IDE then we unfortunately will have to stay with VS2008 even though 2010 is a very excellent product.

I am left wondering now whether the reason for the omission is because the inclusion is too complex or because someone simply didn't think about it..?

Whatever the reason is, the absence of MS comments on this "connection" shows how important this issue and customers are..
Posted by blarsen666 on 4/21/2010 at 12:13 AM
Horrible.
How hard can it be to create a generic SSIS and AS projects that can target different sel/as/ssis servers ?
It's 2010 ffs.
Posted by Jesse Srogoncik on 4/19/2010 at 9:31 AM
Please add SSIS Project integration to Visual Studio 2010.
Posted by PockyMaster on 4/16/2010 at 6:11 AM
We are currently developing on SQL2005 and SQL2008 + C#. I currently run 3 versions of Visual Studio. That would not necessarily be a problem, but when opening solutions from my TFS source control browser it always tries to open the solution with the current IDE's version. Why can't it parse the version from the solution and start up a proper IDE version instead? (As a quick fix) Better of course would be complete support within VS2010.
Posted by DocWabaki on 4/12/2010 at 12:47 PM
I was hoping with Visual Studio 2010 we would start to see the SQL Server application development environments merge with the Visual Studio environment. We definitely could use this. Compared to normal coding, SSIS and SSAS are quite a disconnect. SSRS is a little better. But, it would be really nice to include them all in one 2010 solution file.

Also, it would be great if the UI portions of the SSIS DTSX files were moved to a different file so you could do a reasonably accurate merge function in TFS. With all of the UI included, it is just about impossible to pick out the good stuff for the merge. We spend hours changing the code in the target branch manually when we have overlapping changes for different releases.
Posted by lincdes on 4/10/2010 at 11:13 PM
no, no, no, no... say it isn't so.

I can't believe better Silverlight integration was more important than tighter data integration? Don't get me wrong I'm thankful when there is better support for anything but I work for a fortune 500 and can assure you that Oracle, JDE, SQL Server, Customer Watch (Oracle) and CC&B integration through SSIS are far more important to my company than streaming videos and creating eye candy UIs.

Apparently I made a really bad assumption that better SSIS support and integration was just going to be a given. Man, was I off the mark on that one.... I was really hoping that we'd get support to target SQL Server 2005 and/or 2008 from VS 2010 and not a complete lack of it even being included at all.

Someone apparently forgot to tell Scott Guthrie too when he said "From the beginning [Visual Studio 2010's purpose]... was to answer the question of how do we make existing developers' lives easier?" Ummm, This is kind of like the opposite of that.
Posted by Cem_ on 3/29/2010 at 9:48 PM
It is almost impossible to believe that MS is not supporting SSIS projects anymore.

It should defintely be supported.
Posted by DFox on 3/24/2010 at 2:19 PM
I can't agree more with these comments. We are just now moving from VS 2005 and VS SQL 2005 To 2008 because we want to keep our total solutions together. I thought MS would realize the big blunder they did in their archtect not making VS 2008 BIDs work with SQL 2005. I guess they are making the same blunder in VS 2010. We will have to wait another couple of years before we can start using VS 2010. Maybe these MS decision maker need to talk to some developers to get an understand how people really use their products.
Posted by AndyMeades on 3/17/2010 at 4:14 AM
Having Customers on both SQL05 and SQL08 will prevent use from ever using VS2010 as I can not maintain 3 environments on my Development Laptop. Come on MS get this one sorted it's not rocket science.
Posted by drinky on 3/4/2010 at 8:35 AM
Use caution: VS 2010 will let you successfully upgrade a BI solution, but it is essentially hosed since you can’t open it in 2010 and its now upgraded beyond 2008 so opening in VS 2008 is no longer an option.
Posted by Vendoran on 3/2/2010 at 2:30 PM
Needing to install BIDS 2005, BIDS 2008 and VS2010 with service packs is a pain for both SSIS and SSRS. This problem is already solved in the .NET space as we can target a specific assembly. Allow us to target a specific version of SSIS/SSRS.
Posted by Steve Fagerhaug on 2/23/2010 at 1:56 PM
Please add support for SSIS 2008 projects in VS2010.    I would have thought this an obvious feature that would have been there from the beginning.
Posted by robvon on 2/19/2010 at 11:09 AM
No recent comments? - I wonder if MS has got wise and sorted SSIS support out. It would mean that the VS guys would have to talk to the SQL guys though. Perhaps they don't get to work at the same time much.

Certainly the IDE support for SSIS debugging needs some help. A whole lot of things could just be a little easier and then so would my work.... Oh and SSRS....

I'm dreamin'
Posted by pseverini on 2/16/2010 at 11:21 AM
Microsoft! What in the world are you doing? Why would you stop supporting SSIS in Visual Studio 2010? This is just nuts! Please do not stop supporting SSIS in VS 2010.

Posted by GSS138 on 2/12/2010 at 12:47 PM
Wow, why on earth would you not support an SSIS project type. Is there a project type that will be replacing it, a conversion process, etc. Please tell me that it will be better than the SQL 2000 dts> SQL 2005 conversion wizard that didn't work and cost every hundreds of hours rewriting processes.

MS please rethink this decision; if you are seriously considering not supporting SSIS in 2010 it is a grave mistake.
Posted by Anonymous4845982 on 2/12/2010 at 7:35 AM
I have just discovered that Microsoft is dropping SSIS projects from Visual Studio 2010.

Our software solutions contain a mixture of project types, including SSIS projects. These are essential to the work we do on data-heavy applications. It will be utterly impractical to have to run two IDEs just to get at this functionality, and it will use a lot of memory to have VS2008, VS2010 and SQL Server Management Studio all open at once.

What is the reason for dropping SSIS support from VS2010? Does Microsoft plan to sell SSIS as a separate product from now on? Will SSIS support ever become available in VS2010?

One of the main attractions of Visual Studio has been the ability to manage so many different project types within a single IDE. Removing SSIS is a significant step in the wrong direction and makes Visual Studio far less attractive.
Posted by Rudy Rodarte on 2/11/2010 at 12:37 PM
From the VS 2010 homepage: Complete all your coding, modeling, testing, debugging, and deployment work without leaving the Visual Studio 2010 environment.
At this point, we need an a note stating that this statement does not apply to SSIS projects. Please bring this back!
Posted by lylemcr on 1/29/2010 at 12:23 PM
We were looking into purchasing Team foundation 2010, but I am not hearing that compatability to VS 2008 is not going to be that good. The news here is a real bummer. I guess we will have to look at subversion...
Posted by JackDan iels on 1/14/2010 at 2:05 PM
It is so frustrating to have to open multiple IDEs to work on projects that include SSIS projects.
WE NEED SSIS PROJECTS IN VS2010!!
Some of us are stuck with underperforming inadequate machines, and it slows down our work to have to have two IDEs up to do our work.
Posted by Patrick Brady on 1/12/2010 at 6:24 AM
Please add support for SSIS 2008 projects in VS2010.
Posted by DotNetDeveloper08 on 1/7/2010 at 7:10 AM
Please (PLEASE) add support for SSIS 2008 projects in VS2010. I am running Windows 7 and VS2010 works beautifully but VS2008 has numerous problems… I have to keep a second machine running Windows XP and VS 2008 to debug my SSIS packages (not fun).
Posted by Badajoz95 on 1/5/2010 at 6:32 PM
Only being able to SSIS and SSRS artefacts in their respective VS versions costs us a lot of time. At the moment we will be looking to have 3 separate projects... not optimal :( ... how long is this situation viable for ... or will developers be force to migrate (rewrite) code that works just because VS version changes? ... can't see my business stakeholders understanding that...
Posted by kevinville on 12/30/2009 at 8:34 AM
I agree. One of the big selling point of VS2010 is the database source control functionality and having your db objects deploy with the rest of your solution. Most large databases will have etl needs. Maintaining one solution for ssis, code, and db would be pretty nice
Posted by will-s on 11/10/2009 at 3:44 AM
This is a significant drawback for me as my work is split 50/50 between BI (SSIS and SSRS) and c#. Having to use multiple IDS’s to support a single logical solution is just plain wrong.

Like Jamie, I need to advise a client on the suitability of SSIS / SSRS in a new large scale project they are about to undertake. The client is already evaluating Visual Studio 2010 and they love it but I can’t see how I can recommend SSIS/SSRS if it needs a previous version of the IDE – especially as they use SQL Server 2005 so would need to use Visual Studio 2005. I have already spoken to Microsoft about the integration of Visual Studio 2005 (and 2008) with 2010 TFS and I must admit I wasn’t all that happy with the response - “there will be a separate add-on that will give limited functionality” BI plays an increasingly important role in this client’s future so limited interoperability with TFS and multiple IDEs is not a good option.
Posted by Jamie Clayton on 11/5/2009 at 4:31 PM
Is this a dropping of functionality or will you still have to use the VS2008 IDE installed with the SSMS 2008 components. I've got to advise a client about the future direction of SSIS and integrated script tasks with .net libraries. At the moment the developement IDE is "poor" for this area, (especially VS2005 with SQL 2005) which is unusual for Microsoft products.
Posted by BQAD on 10/22/2010 at 12:47 PM
for all your project and source files, do the following (find first line and replace to second line):

TargetFrameworkMoniker = ".NETFramework,Version=v2.0"
TargetFramework = "3.5"

# Visual Studio 10
# Visual Studio 2008

Microsoft Visual Studio Solution File, Format Version 11.00 Microsoft Visual Studio Solution File, Format Version 10.00

<Project ToolsVersion="4.0"
<Project ToolsVersion="3.5"

<ProductVersion>10.0.20506</ProductVersion>
<ProductVersion>9.0.30729</ProductVersion>

\VisualStudio\v10.0\
\VisualStudio\v9.0\

<Import Project="$(MSBuildToolsPath)\Workflow.Targets" /> <Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\Microsoft\Windows Workflow Foundation\v3.5\Workflow.Targets" />
Posted by Digit Head on 9/15/2010 at 10:49 AM
We just upgraded to TFS and SQL 2008 R2 with the hope of putting our ETL under Source Code control. No such luck. I am able to put SQL Scripts under SCC using TFS, but not ETL.

It's funny that this was available with the $50 Visual Source Safe package some 8 years ago!

Looks like we are going to wait until SQL 2011 Rx.
Posted by Jason H (HDInsight) on 7/9/2010 at 9:44 AM
Beware that there is a known issue if you try to open the projects. VS will upgrade your project, but the project won't open after that. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983332
The workaround is discussed in the KB to rebuild the project in the lower version.

In general, the only way to develop business intelligence project (Reporting Services, Integration Services, Analysis Serivces is to use the older Visual Studio version. If you need both the new and the old version, VS supports a side by side install to keep your VS 2005 or VS 2008 running on the same machine as VS 2010.