SQL Server 2008 R2 cluster installation failure on Win Server 2008 Ent R2 on VMWARE box by Santosh C

as External Help for as External

ID: 520498
Opened: 12/15/2009 10:20:23 AM

Environnent :

Product / Version / Service Pack: SQL Server Enterprise 2008 EN Sp1
Operating System / Service Pack: Windows Server 2008 Enterprise AL R2
Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 on VMware vSphere with Windows Server 2008 (x64) Guest OS

Our customer is unable to install SQL 2008 R2 on a cluster hosted on o/s as described above (when we enter SQL n/w name and click next) and getting error as per the following:

"The given network name is unusable because there was a failure trying to determine if the network name is invalid for use by the clustered sql instance due to the following error "the network address is invalid"

I have looked into the following but no luck:

Observation:

This issue is not happening on Win 2008 (Non R2)

Inference

Issue happens ONLY when:

Environment is VMWARE and O/S IS WINDOWS 2008 R2

Issue DOESNT happen when:

Environment is VMWARE and O/S IS WINDOWS 2008 R1
Environment is Physical and O/S IS WINDOWS 2008 R1/R2
Posted by AbbasG14 on 10/22/2010 at 10:44 PM
Hello Guys

I was not able to solve this problem. Here is my scenario

Hi

This did not work for me.

The following is the scenario

My ESXI Version is 4.1

1 AD (AD1)

2 Cluster Nodes (SQL1, SQL2)

3 Starwind SAN (SAN1)

2 NIC's on all servers (One sitting on Public IP, Second one on Private using 192.168.1.1)

When I disable the public NIC's still the same, I have removed Shared Drives feature, dint work then took off VM Tools all together.

I reset the NICs as well after uninstalling virtual drivers. I joined and disjoined from the domain as well.

Would appreciate some urgent help. This seems to be a really wiered problem thats been bugging me since the past week and I have some deadlines to do a test which I cannot.

Thanks lads!

Validate Microsoft MPIO-based disks        Canceled
Validate Multiple Arbitration        Canceled
Validate SCSI device Vital Product Data (VPD)        Canceled
Validate SCSI-3 Persistent Reservation        Canceled
Validate Simultaneous Failover        Canceled

Validate Cluster Network Configuration

Validate the cluster networks that would be created for these servers.
An error occurred while executing the test.
There was an error initializing the network tests.
There was an error creating the server side agent (CPrepSrv).
Creating an instance of the COM component with CLSID {E1568352-586D-43E4-933F-8E6DC4DE317A} from the IClassFactory failed due to the following error: 80070005.

Validate IP Configuration

Validate that IP addresses are unique and subnets configured correctly.
An error occurred while executing the test.
There was an error initializing the network tests.
There was an error creating the server side agent (CPrepSrv).

List Network Binding Order

List the order in which networks are bound to the adapters on each node.
sql1.demo1.local
Binding Order    Adapter    Speed
Local Area Connection    Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection    1000 Mbit/s
Local Area Connection 3    Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection #3    1000 Mbit/s
sql2.demo1.local
Binding Order    Adapter    Speed
Local Area Connection    Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection    1000 Mbit/s

List All Disks

List all disks visible to one or more nodes (including non-cluster disks).
An error occurred while executing the test.
Storage cannot be validated at this time. Node 'sql2.demo1.i-technosoft.co.uk' could not be initialized for validation testing. Possible causes for this are another validation test is being ran from another management client, or a previous validation test was unexpectedly terminated. If a previous validation test was unexpectedly terminated the best corrective action is to reboot the node and try again.
Access is denied
Posted by asg2ki on 2/18/2010 at 10:01 PM
As per Andrei Maier's comment on this link:

the solution is to get rid of the "Shared Folder" device driver provided by VMware Tools. There is neither a need to uninstall the complete VMware Tools package nor to make any modifications to your NIC card configurations. Simply remove the "Shared Folder" feature and everything will work just fine.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/18/2010 at 2:43 PM
Thanks for reporting this issue. However, as also pointed out this is specific to VMWare and not applicable to our supported clustering solution using Windows Server and SQL Server. We suggest you follow up with VMWare for troubleshooting and solution.

Thanks,
Max Verun
SQL Server
Posted by tisaacs on 1/13/2010 at 11:47 AM
VMware has informed me that this is apparently a known issue, and that VMware engineering has an internal problem ticket open on the issue. Currently there is no known workaround and there is no ETA on when this issue might be resolved (per VMware). My understanding is that this is a VMware problem, not a Microsoft problem.
Posted by Trevor Squillario on 1/6/2010 at 10:57 AM
I am having this issue running Windows 7 x64 & VMware Workstation 7

I have successfully setup a SQL 2008 failover cluster on 2008 R2, but this was completed on physical servers. I'm trying to setup a testing environment on my workstation but I am absolutely stuck! Someone needs to figure this out. In the related forum (link above) a registry change is mentioned but I am not able to get the change to stick...
Posted by tisaacs on 1/4/2010 at 7:00 AM
I have had this issue for a couple of weeks now. I have tickets open with both Microsoft and VMware, both of which blame the other. This issue only seems to apply to ESX 4.0 U1 and Server 2008 R2 environment. In my case, I have installed an MS failover cluster (Server 2008 R2 Enterprise) as the foundation for the SQL cluster; the failover installed successfully but the SQL (2008 Standard) portion did not. This is profoundly affecting deployment timetables, but neither vendor seems to be able to solve this at the moment.
Posted by PK2000 on 1/3/2010 at 4:25 PM
I am also experiencing this issue on a VMWare Workstation (7.0) infrastructure.
Posted by zeeshankhalid on 1/3/2010 at 2:06 AM
I am also not able to install sql server 2008. i have the same environment consists of SERVER 2008 R2 And sql server 2008 R2.

The given network name is unusable because there was a failure trying to determine if the network name is valid for use by the clustered SQL instance due to the following error: 'The network address is invalid.
Posted by asg2ki on 12/20/2009 at 8:14 AM
Reference tech. discussion:

No workaround / solution as yet although it would be quite important for many people.
Posted by Nayeemur Rahaman on 12/17/2009 at 2:27 PM
I am also getting same problem in VMWARE. i have tried on multiple VMWARE VMs but no luck. may be VM company is having hard time to fix this issue for windows 2008 r2.

I have many success!!!!!!

I have installed sql 2008 clustering with sp1 on WINDOWS 2008 R2 many times in Hyper-v VMs and physical machine i never got this error.
Posted by Trevor Squillario on 12/17/2009 at 1:59 PM
I am having this issue also. I was the original poster in that thread. I have the same environment. SQL 2008 SP1 SlipStreamed onto 2008 R2

This is the error I'm getting:
Posted by Nigel Bozwood Davies on 11/23/2010 at 4:50 AM
Refer to VMWare KB for full details.

VMWare Tools needs a custom install as a full install causes the problem.
Posted by asg2ki on 2/18/2010 at 10:01 PM
As per Andrei Maier's comment on this link:

Posted by Trevor Squillario on 1/15/2010 at 5:59 AM
***This fix worked for me***

1. Uninstall VMware Tools from Programs and Features
2. Reboot
3. Right click the virtual network adapter, Properties > Driver > Uninstall
4. Open Device Manager, Scan for hardware changes
5. Once the Windows drivers are installed for the virtual network adapter you can re-add your static IP info

You should be ready to rip after that, I was at least! Once SQL is installed you can probably reinstall VMware Tools.
Posted by Ryan_AU on 1/14/2010 at 7:32 PM
Here is a workaround for this issue that appears under the following conditions;

VMware ESX 4 Update 1
SQL Server 2008 slipstreamed with SP1
Windows Server 2008 R2

You will need to use E1000 network adapters (as the drivers are included in windows), uninstall VMware tools, install SQL Server 2008 in clustered mode, then reinstall vmware tools. Something in VMware tools seems to be causing the problem.
Posted by tisaacs on 1/13/2010 at 9:23 AM
Remove the Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise installation and use the Windows Server 2008 Enterprise instead. Once the different server version was installed, the SQL cluster installation was clean and had no failures. Both Microsoft and VMware have no clue how to resolve this issue at the moment, (or they are just not yet ready to share the resolution) and after having sent tons of log files and gone over numerous configuration tweaks and hacks with both vendors, I simply could not wait any longer for a miracle. While my environment does not require R2, it would have been nice to utilize it. If R2 is required, you may have to go to physical boxes or Hyper-V. The registry hacks are utterly useless on the R2 box in the VMware environment for the SQL cluster install. I'm sure that as more folks run into this issue and the pressure builds on the vendors to resolve it, a patch will be forthcoming. I also suspect that if I now upgrade my servers to R2, it will break the SQL cluster (although I would love to try it, but no time). In the meantime, I will keep looking for a resolution to the original problem.
File Name Submitted By Submitted On File Size