SQL 2008 R2 Nov CTP - Management Studio Reports Fail on Opening by Kurt Moskal

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 1/8/2010 12:33:33 PM

I installed SQL Server 2008 R2 Nov. CTP on a W2K8 R2 server. I then installed only the SQL Management Studio on another W2K8 R2 server. From both servers, when I try to run any Management Studio report, I receive a pop-up window stating "The file 'Microsoft.ReportViewer.WinForms, Version=9.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' cannot be opened. Do you want to remove the reference to it from the Recent list?

There are Yes/No buttons, regardless of which button I press nothing good happens.
Posted by CuckooSQL on 10/25/2011 at 8:36 AM
I have just upgraded my client tools (no server components) from SQL2008 RTM to SP3 and get the identical error. Since the problem was raised on this thread months ago, it is distressing that MS are careless to not fix in the SP3 (supposedly fully QA'ed). Bad Microsoft!
Posted by SheaButta on 3/25/2011 at 5:56 AM
Hi Microsoft:

What is the recommended workaround if you are at SQL Server 2008 SP2 and have no plans of upgrading to SQL 2008 R2 in the near future ? I just upgraded over 40 servers to SQL 2008 SP2 and I'm looking for the best and fastest option without any downtime.

Thanks.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/5/2010 at 12:31 PM
Hi Kurt,
    Just to let you know, this should be fixed with the SQL Server 2008 R2 final release.
Bill Ramos
Posted by DevilzOk on 1/22/2010 at 11:39 AM
Currently we are seeing the same issues in R1 - is there a fix that will be part of a CU or SP to resolve this issue?

We are running R1 SP1 CU 4.
Posted by Kurt Moskal on 1/11/2010 at 7:11 AM
Thanks for the workaround info. I do hope that this is fixed by RTM. I would be a fairly large issue having to install MSRS on all the database instances just to run reports.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/8/2010 at 9:53 PM
Hi There, this is a known issue that we expect to have fixed for RTM. In the mean time you can workaround this issue by downloading and installing the Reporting Services Report Viewer 9.0. You can download this package from the Microsoft Download Center or by using the following link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=6ae0aa19-3e6c-474c-9d57-05b2347456b1

Thanks,