Display Corruption on SSMS at large resolutions on second screen by Medteam

Active

Opened: 2/12/2010 12:05:16 PM

Win 7 64 bit, 2 screens 1440X900, 1920X1200, maximize on larger screen, top and botom controls of query window do not size propperly, right side has 2 scroll bars, only second works. Top half of bottom line is replicated when scrolling making the display unreadable. Bottom window recovers when new query results are displayed, top portion does not recover without reload of sql server management studio. If used in relatively small sizes everything seems OK. SQL Server 2008 version also has issue but not as severe.
Posted by AndyGBrown on 1/19/2012 at 11:53 AM
Reproduced on Windows 7 Ultimate, SP1, 64 bit.
1900x1200 Samsung 2443BW monitors (two) on both an HD6450 1GB gfx card and an HD6450 1GB FleX dual DVI graphics card.
Happens with both single and dual monitors active.
Order of software install:
1. SQL Server 2008 Express with SP3 (without advanced services)
2. Windows update
3. SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition
4. SP1 for SQL Server 2008 R2
5. Windows Updates
6. Visual Studio 2010
7. All updates

No workarounds posted (display scaling, going fullscreen and back) work.
Occurs both when docking panels such as properties and clicking maximise on the window.

I do not get this on other setups with a 1900x1200 monitor.
Posted by Cody Konior on 9/29/2011 at 7:38 PM
I also have this problem.

"Hey upgrade to VS 2010" isn't much of a solution. SQL Server 2008 is still a supported product.
Posted by Microsoft on 8/9/2011 at 7:41 AM
Hi All,

Thanks for reporting this issue. Just to update this thread, SSMS has moved to the VS 2010 shell in Denali. This problem appears to have been fixed with the new shell.

Please let me know if there are any concerns.

Thanks,
Prashant.
(prashant.choudhari@microsoft.com)
Posted by kpollock on 8/3/2011 at 3:16 AM
I have this too. Acer Aspire 5820T, One display, 1920x1080, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Seems maybe no dedicated vid card?( DXDiag says Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator HD),. Very annoying!!! Only started about a week ago....
Posted by bb261998 on 7/29/2011 at 10:31 AM
I have the same annoying problem with my brand new Dell precision workstation, it has the nvidia Quadro FX 3800M graphics card running two monitors in Window 7 64bit.

Have to wonder what hardware they test on if they didn;t run into this before release?!?! Most developers have higher end comps with x64 and dual monitors why would they release a tool for developers that doesn't work in such a common config?

Damn MS

Posted by Brian_Jimdar on 6/1/2011 at 2:30 PM
I am experiencing problem with a single monitor with resolution 2560x1600.
Very annoying.

I've now switched over to using LinqPad to write all my queries. Wish I didnt have to.
Posted by netraven5000 on 4/27/2011 at 9:03 AM
Just adding that I have the same issue with two 1280x1024 screens (not really all that big resolution). Seems like the issue is restricted to particular query window/tabs - the issue will occur while in one query tab but I can create a new query or switch tabs and not have the issue.

OS is Win7 x64, Windows says the videocard is a Nvidia GeForce 9300 GE. I too am running IE9 but I also saw this while I was still using IE7 and 8 IIRC.

Data from SSMS' "About" in case it helps:

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio                        10.0.4000.0
Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools                        10.0.4000.0
Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)                        6.1.7601.17514
Microsoft MSXML                        3.0 5.0 6.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer                        9.0.8112.16421
Microsoft .NET Framework                        2.0.50727.5444
Operating System                        6.1.7601
Posted by DWalker on 4/6/2011 at 3:12 PM
I have the same bug in SQL Server 2008 mgmt studio. I only have one screen! My display is 1920x1200 resolution. Maybe the problem is related to screen size -- **management studio can't handle 1920x1200** apparently!

I replaced my video card with a different one, and the problem remains. I have no add-ins to SQL Server.

My new video card is an Nvidia 210 with the latest drivers. I also have SQL Server 2008 SP2 with the most current CU (I think it's CU3) as of April 6, 2011.

OS is Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Internet Explorer 9 is installed, but the problem also existed when I had IE8.
Posted by ForwardMark on 8/20/2010 at 4:26 PM
I also have this bug in both Sql Server Management Studio 2005 and 2008. It is a limit to my productivity. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with an NVidia 250 GTS card with the latest drivers. I have two displays at 1920x1200 but have experienced the same behavior on my 1600x1200 displays. I could not attach a file to this report but posted a screenshot here:

Posted by Cwye on 3/20/2012 at 2:26 AM
You can,
1. Create New Query screen before resize/move SSMS.
2. Close the New Query screen after resize/move SSMS.

credit
diaoull
Posted by Mike Burek on 10/4/2011 at 10:59 PM
Hi, I found this work around that changes the compatibility for the SSMS executable posted on another forum.
Screen response seems to have a very tiny delay now, so it's not perfectly smooth, but it is still usable.
For me, I still had problems on the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" setting, so I changed the compatibility to WinXP SP3.
Posted by Derek Morin on 6/17/2011 at 11:04 AM
turning full screen on and then off seems to help for me

Alt+Shift+Enter
Posted by pyrolupus on 6/3/2011 at 10:47 AM
The query window continues to work so long as you don't increase the size of SSMS. If you do need to expand the size of SSMS: first resize or maximize SSMS; then copy the contents of the bugged query window to the clipboard; next, create a new query window; and finally paste the contents of the original query into the new window (Ctrl+A, Ctrl+N, Ctrl+V).

If working within a file, save and close the file, and then reopen the file at a the new SSMS size.

Temp tables will unfortunately have to be recreated and repopulated in either case.
File Name Submitted By Submitted On File Size