SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup has encountered an error. by Dinesh Asanka

as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

Opened: 5/6/2010 10:50:35 PM

am getting follwing error and instalation stops

Description:

SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup has encountered an error.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                     SQL100MSI

Problem Signature 01:                     10.50.1600.1

Problem Signature 02:                     Unknown

Problem Signature 03:                     SqlSupport.msi

Problem Signature 04:                     0x2D2816FE

Problem Signature 05:                     0x3

Problem Signature 06:                     Install_SqlSupport

OS Version:                                        6.0.6001.2.1.0.272.7

Locale ID:                                            1033

Additional information about the problem:

LCID:                                                    1033

Read our privacy statement:

I am getting this after support files got installed.
Posted by Abhimantri on 12/5/2011 at 9:53 PM
I was trying to install SQL Server 2008 on my laptop that has windows 7 ultimate. It gave an error, database engine did not get installed. All the integration and reporting services were installed bu the database engine did not get installed.I installed the sql server 2011 version successfully but 2008 did not. Do I need to install service pack along with the installation set up of SQL server 08 or do I need to install windows 7 service pack 1? Suggest me some steps.
Posted by Brad Smith Site on 10/11/2011 at 1:03 PM
I had the exact same problem, and here is how to reproduce the problem and after that follows the solution to fix it.

Reproduce:
On Windows 7 64-bit (only tested with this edition), install Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate (only tested with this edition) this will install SQL Server 2008 Express. After this, install SQL Server 2008 Standard (only tested with this edition). Setup will fails to locate "SqlSupport.msi" and will exit.

Solution:
Go to Add/Remove Programs, locate "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Setup Support Files" and uninstall it. Run the SQL Server 2008 Setup and the installation should succeed.

(SqlSupport.msi was actually the .MSI package distributed with Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express, not Microsoft SQL Server 2008.

Please let me know if this helped. bradsmithsite[at]gmail.com
Posted by gbier on 9/13/2011 at 6:15 AM
I spent a day working on this, not believing for a second that it was a corrupted file. Turns out it was. I had extracted the iso using Winzip.    When I instead used VcdControlTool to mount the iso and copied the files that way, I had no further problems.

Bottom-line, I will no longer be trusting Winzip for extracting ISO's.

Posted by Marwan Zahran on 8/5/2011 at 2:12 PM
i have the same problem and i have the log file but i dont know how to attach it
Posted by Weitian Leung on 5/9/2011 at 4:18 AM
THANKS Charlie Zhu
I've solved my problem now
Posted by Chris_RWind on 5/8/2011 at 8:05 PM
HOw do I reopen this thread.?
Posted by RRV on 4/23/2011 at 11:29 AM
Hi I have installed SQL Express and R2 versions several times and am unable to get thru with setup.rll error. I use VS2010 Ultimate edition in WinXP SP3. Can somebody help? I can send report from Collect.exe to Microsoft.
Posted by ctmas on 12/29/2010 at 9:27 AM
Hi,

I do have the same problem while installing the BIS, tried all the steps mentioned here. I downloaded the software from msdn. extracted to a folder with a short name. Even I tried to repair the installation still getting the same error about setp.rll. Is there any work around . I'm using windows server and sql server 2008.

Posted by Verok on 12/9/2010 at 4:10 AM
If you trying setup MSSQL not from CD/DVD - copy it to directory with short path and WITHOUT spaces like: D:\MSSQL2008 or something else, but without spaces
Posted by Yossi Dahan on 12/7/2010 at 5:43 AM
I had exactly the same problem from the downloaded image (msdn subscription), using MSDN shipped DVD worked fine (on same machine), could it be that the image downloaded is faulty?
Posted by Raj Bhat on 11/16/2010 at 10:57 PM
I am also getting the same error. The work around to replace the setup.rll with the one in the installation media worked for me. Is there an official fix from Microsoft for the same.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/4/2010 at 3:38 PM
Thank you all for reporting this. We'll be more effective in troubleshooting this issue with your logs attached for the stated scenario. I will resolve this for the time being. Please do reactivate it with your logs, when further investigation is required.

Best regards,
Korhan

Microsoft SQL Server
Posted by Microsoft on 11/4/2010 at 3:34 PM
Thank you all for your feedback. I will be resolving this issue since there were no logs attached so far. However, please do reactivate, if you have logs attached and would like us to take a look at the logs for the scenario stated.

Best regards,
Korhan

Microsoft SQL Server
Posted by Microsoft on 11/4/2010 at 3:34 PM

Best regards,
Korhan

Microsoft SQL Server
Posted by Charlie Zhu on 9/6/2010 at 10:42 PM
If you have a French/Chinese(as mine)/... copy of SQL Server 2008 R2 setup media and try to install it on English version Windows OS, this error may occurs. The solution is to go to Control Panel->Regional Setting and change the “Fomat” language to the same language of the setup media. That works for me.
Charlie
Posted by DerekMcIntoshTO on 9/3/2010 at 12:00 PM
I am experiencing the same issue.

Windows Server 2008 R2 - English - United States
SQL Server 2008R2 - English - United States (from MSDN)

I get the same error as those listed here.

setup.exe - Bad Image

"SQL Server setup media does not support the language of the OS or does not have ENU localized files. Use the matching language-specific SQL Server media or change the OS locale through control panel.
"
Posted by Glanzer on 7/26/2010 at 11:17 AM
Hey all,

If you unzipped the ISO image with WinZip it might have resulted in corrupted files during the extraction process. See this post: http://blog.mikeobrien.net/2010/05/winzip-doesn-extract-isos-properly.html
Posted by Nicolas Caillard on 7/21/2010 at 2:39 AM
I have the same problem.
It seems that the setup program tries to run "\1033_ENU_LP\x86\setup\sqlsupport_msi\SqlSupport.msi", whitch is not present in the installation media. On my french media, this file is present in the directory "\1036_FRA_LP"... Perhaps because I'm on a english OS (Windows 2003 Server R2), the wrong directory is used...
I'm trying to upgrade a french installation of SQL Server 2008, so I can't use an english media of SQL Server 2008 R2.
Posted by Lyu KingT on 7/7/2010 at 8:41 PM
i have the very same problem when i installed the R2 Developer Edition and the R2 Express Edition,
the following websites are two posts in MSDN forum, which are discussing the same problem, but still not solved.

and i upload the log file to SkyDrive, please check it, you call choose to download Log.7z, or Log.rar

thanks...
Posted by Microsoft on 6/16/2010 at 11:18 AM
For us to investigate this further, please attach setup logs located in %programfiles%\microsoft sql server\100\setup bootstrap\log.

It might be due to media corruption during download, if you are using the MSDN media.

Thanks,
Max Verun
SQL Server
Posted by schiphol100 on 6/15/2010 at 2:23 AM
i confirm enu version works
Posted by Srikanth Tirunagari on 6/10/2010 at 12:01 AM
Media downloaded from MSDN seems to have problems.

Srikanth
Posted by EuroPhilC on 6/5/2010 at 9:21 AM
Got exactly the same problem as Srikanth and now also cannot uninstall - x64 but on EN UK OS (although SQL log still declares US). Tried MSDN and the current MS Trial, same probs. Can't upload log here, will open thread on MSDN Forum.

Very poor installation procedure, now stuck on this machine (SQL 2008 non-R2 had the same issue but the slipstream SP1 workaround didn't work so thought if I go through that again, might as well do it to get R2).

Tiresome and money wasting, can't really get excited about new versions of SQL anymore - if it doesn't work across platforms, please don't release it, developers will go bankrupt on unchargeable reverse progress, Phil.
Posted by Henk vd Valk on 6/3/2010 at 4:24 PM
Having simular experiences when installing from either the SQL2008R2 Ent. Ed. and/or Datacenter Ed. downloaded both from the MSDN site..
Posted by Microsoft on 6/1/2010 at 11:59 AM
Please attach the compressed setup logs, not paste to your post. We will then be able to investigate.

Thanks,
Max Verun
SQL Server
Posted by Srikanth Tirunagari on 5/31/2010 at 12:38 AM
Hi,

I'm getting the same issue as Michael posted. I've tried installing SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer 64 bit on Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit (Both being EN US). Though the installation completed, there were errors and the database engine failed to install. Now, I'm not able to uninstall it either and following error is being thrown: "The ENU localization is not supported by this SQL Server media". Any help is appreciated.

Srikanth
Posted by J Michael McCollum on 5/30/2010 at 6:06 PM
Any progress? I' ve tried to post various logs but they are too large to paste into my comment.
Posted by J Michael McCollum on 5/24/2010 at 12:46 PM
I'm using our VL download to upgrade a SQL2008 SP1 Standard Edition install to SQL2008R2 Standard Edition on Windows Server 2008R2. The upgrade of the default instance was not perfect. The install wanted to restart the machine during the upgrade. After the restart the install would not continue. Firstly the localization is all correctlyl set to US English. When tryint to restart Setup I get this error.

Setup.exe - Bad Image
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\SQLServer2008R2\setup.rll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system admininstrator o the software vendor for support.

Another dialog box appears.

SQL Server Setup
The ENU localization is not supported by this SQL Server media.

I used MS SQL since version 6.5 and ever version since. This is error is dumbfounding.

I've tried this installation on three machines with the same results. SQL 2008 has always installed flawlessly.
Posted by Microsoft on 5/11/2010 at 11:58 AM
Thanks for reportign this issue. This seems a bit different, as from the bug info it looks like you are installing ENU SQL on ENU OS. For us to investigate this further, please attach setp logs located in %programfiles%\microsoft sql server\100\setup bootstrap\log.

Regarding the comment on RUS install on ENU OS (which is a different issue), we received that issue also and routed to release team for follow up. Please expect a reply soon on that issue separately.

Thanks,
Max Verun
SQL Server
Posted by Lexey on 5/7/2010 at 5:02 AM
What is the language of your SQL server installation DVD? I have got the similar error during an attemt of installation of the Russian trial version on the English XP and English Windows 7. From the logs I have found that the error is due to the attemp of installation of a file "\1033_ENU_LP\x86\Setup\sqlsupport_msi" which is not present on the Russian installation media.

Looks like a media composing error.
Posted by nikk00s on 2/16/2011 at 9:00 AM
After having the same problem with a French version of SQL Server 2008 R2 and an English version of Windows Server 2003 STD 32bits, the workaround proposed by Dominik Werland works great for me too :

- both install MUI pack and change default language (in accord with SQL Server language)

Thanks
Posted by 키위쭈 on 1/13/2011 at 1:56 AM
SQL100MSI

이거 첨에 설치할 때 서비스 구동 계정 등록하는데서 서비스 계정 말고 로컬 관리자계정 넣으면 설치 완료됩니다.
Posted by HaloRing on 12/6/2010 at 10:44 AM
I had encountered the same installation issue (SQL Server 2008 R2 on Windows Server 2008 R2), when attempting to add a domain administrator account as a SQL Server administrator in the Database Engine Configuration portion of the install under Account Provisioning. The behavior is different than my experience with SQL Server 2008 on Windows 2003 Server R2 (plus Windows Installer 4.5 and PowerShell 1.0), which had allowed the provisioning of a domain administrator account. I wonder if this has something to do with the Windows Firewall...

For my situation, the error was resolved by specifying a local administrator account only.
Posted by Dominik We on 7/28/2010 at 8:42 AM
I encountered the exact problem on 2003R2x64 ENU + SQL2008R2x64 DEU (german).

The solution finally was to install the "Multilingual User Interface Pack" which came with 2003R2x64 followed by changing the language for menus and dialog fields (control panel - language options - languages).
Installing just the MUI and not changing the default language for menus isn't working, you have to do both.
Posted by Srikanth Tirunagari on 6/10/2010 at 12:00 AM
I was able to uninstall the SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer by replacing the setup.rll file at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\SQLServer2008R2\Resources\1033 with the one in the setup media in the path \resources\1033\setup.rll.

Uninstaller ran without reporting any problems though I'm not sure if its a clean uninstall. All the SQL services and tools are gone. Will give a try installing SQL Server 2008 Developer.

Thanks,
Srikanth
Posted by Henk vd Valk on 6/3/2010 at 5:06 PM
(For me , i managed to complete the installation when I do not use the installation images from MSDN but from a different source other than MSDN both the SQL2008R2 Ent. Ed and Datacenter Ed / X64 versions fail).