Visual Studio 2010 and BIDS not available. by Erl Egestad

as By Design Help for as By Design

Type: Suggestion
Opened: 6/21/2010 2:47:59 PM

The BIDS project types(SSIS, Reporting Services, AS, etc) are not available/compatible with Visual Studio 2010. This in essence requires VS 2008 to be used for these types of projects but VS 2010 can be leveraged for the vast majority of other projects.

PLEASE rectify this situation BEFORE the next version of SQL Server is released!
Posted by Sphengle on 2/21/2013 at 4:38 AM
Well it's now the year 2013 and still I'm having to use VS2005 to open BI projects. Somehow, as a company, we skipped from 2005 to 2010. Never used 2008. What's the big deal? Why no BI templates in VS2010? Would love to get our cube designs under TFS but still having to use VSS under 2005!
Posted by Merin Nakarmi on 8/19/2012 at 8:15 PM
You must select Business Intelligence Development Studio option in the checkbox while selecting the Features during SQL Server installtation. If you did not install it at first, you can run SQL Server installatin wizard, select add features to exisiting installation and select the feature Business Intelligence Development Studio check box.

Posted by RiverFisher on 1/6/2012 at 8:26 AM
I really cannot believe this. We have just installed VS 2010 Ultimate and now we find it does not support BIDS!!!
Really, no I mean REALLY. WHEN then??
Posted by 6th on 6/21/2011 at 4:25 PM
Any idea on how future? Now it's half way through 2011 and we still have no update.

MS, you are going to start trying to sell us the next versions of VS and Windows before too long. Is there ever going to be a day when we only require us to run 1x (prefferably whatever the latest is when you pull your finger out) version of VS installed to work on our projects? (Not VS 2008 - stop selling that as a solution - are we paying for product updates or not)

You effectively are stopping us from upgrading to Visual Studio 2010 because half the projects are incompatible now.

I suggest you update your page @ http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/product-comparison to compare against Visual Studio 2008 and remember to highlight all the things now unsupported. Heh, imagine ever seeing an honest corporation/marketing dept...
Posted by Simon Lampen on 5/19/2011 at 1:10 PM
I have a project that has many rdl reports using the 2005 report schemas, equally I want to upgrade some of these as I go to newer versions if I want to benefit from newer features.

What is frustrating is that often(for the last 3 versions) the report designer tooling (BIDS) lags a whole visual studio version behind the current version. This means that I have to have VS 2008 installed as well as VS2010 in order to target reporting schemas 2005 and 2008 (let alone 2010).

The other frustration is that it seems that in VS2010 reporting projects I can only edit rdlc files and not rdl files. Presumably I could use Report Builder to do this but do I really have to have 3 programs to edit reports.

So I have
*BIDS for VS 2008 for rdl and rdlc
*Reporting Projects for VS2010 for only rdlc
*Report Builder for rdl

Can you visualize the barely overlapping venn diagram :)

What I would really like is :
*the latest reporting formats in a BIDS plugin for VS2010 -actually whatever the current version of Vistual Studio is.
*the plugin should be able to edit rdl and rdlc
*it would be a 'nice to have' if the plugin could fall back to editing older versions of schemas without requiring the schema to be upgraded.

Finally I guess I was wondering what stops the BIDS components being an out-of-band release that can stay reasonably up to date that always targets whichever is the current version of Visual Studio.

I notice this case has been closed as by design, but I am wondering what makes it hard to try to target the current VS version?

Cheers
Simon
Posted by ansonee on 1/6/2011 at 12:23 PM
I CANNOT believe Microsoft categorized this as "By Design"!!!! Really?!?! It's amazing...Visual Studio 2008 for DB Pro's contained the BIDS components...but they saw fit to remove them in the "new and improved" VS 2010?!?!

Just like Microsoft: one step forwards, eighteen steps backwards...
Posted by MarkInToronto on 12/3/2010 at 7:39 AM
Can you give us any indication as to when this will be fixed? This seems like a huge oversight.
Posted by EricMc on 11/11/2010 at 4:15 AM
Is there any update on this? Will there be a version of BIDS which works correctly with VS2010, and if so, when will it be released?
Posted by Daniel Ryan on 8/19/2010 at 10:00 AM
I didn't know that 2010 was incompatible with BIDS when I opened a SSIS project in 2010. My solution file is now corrupted. This seems like something that should be preventable.
Posted by Dean Gross on 7/26/2010 at 9:51 AM
Could you give us any idea about when this might be available? It is quite frustrating to have to keep 2 versions of Visual studio installed.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/12/2010 at 4:53 PM
EEgestad -- Thank you for reporting this to us. Integration with VS 2010 is subject of the future work.

The Analysis Services team
Posted by Liddz on 3/28/2013 at 8:26 AM
Use Visual Studio 2010 reportviewer. Yes, you have to scrap SSRS and create new reports for reportviewer.
Posted by Jim Wang MVP on 3/13/2011 at 3:41 PM