The INSTALLSHAREDWOWDIR command line value is not valid. Please ensure the specified path is valid and different than the INSTALLSHAREDDIR path. by Nooruddin Paracha

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 6/23/2010 11:55:18 AM

I was trying to upgrade SQL 2008 x64 (on Windows 2003 x64 Standard), used the default setup, and selected the upgrade option every thing went smooth untill it get to the second last step where it actually strat installing.

At this poing this error comes up

I tried the suggestion that other people had i.e use this

setup.exe /action=Install /INSTALLSHAREDWOWDIR="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server (x86)" /INSTALLSHAREDDIR="C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server"

That did not work either.

It cannot ba coinsidence that so many people are having same error.

Is there any fix for that.

Update: Jun 24,2010

I tried to Repair 2008, using SQL Installation Center-->Maintenance-->Repair

It errored out too with message

SQL Server Setup has encountered the following error:

Error Code 0x84B40000.

(OK button on the prompt)

I am attaching all the log files, in case Microsoft team is monitory this.
Posted by Winder_Guy01 on 9/3/2013 at 8:57 AM
This error occurs because of different locations shared feature directories such as one pointing to C: and one to D: Once that was corrected install proceeded fine.
Posted by R Herring on 8/27/2012 at 8:25 AM
Aug 2012, This is still an issue. I have been trying to install the Client and Management tools on a Windows 2008R2 server (64 bit) which has a couple of SQL Express Databases already installed. I have used local copies of both Developer and Enterprise Edition (ISO files mounted with MagicDisk 10.6). I have chosen both the correct license ID and the "Free Evaluation" options. I have tried just the tools and I have tried to install a new, named instance.
In every case the install gets to the feature selection dialog and fails with this error message. The Shared Feature and Shared Feature (x86) directory values are prefilled ("C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\") and the value is greyed out. The directory selection elipsis boxes are greyed out. The lable for the x86 directory is also greyed out.
Posted by Michelle Yu on 6/6/2012 at 10:24 AM
I used the path ""%programfiles(x86)%\Microsoft SQL Server" during installation. Now I had the same issue when I tried to apply SP and uninstall SQL2008. How could I fix it?

Thanks,

Michelle
Posted by The Data Man on 1/15/2012 at 7:12 AM
Hi,

I had the exact same issue and noticed the issue only occurred during network based installation, as install binaries on remote read-only share. Once I copied install files locally and re- tried install, worked first time.

Hope this helps.

Phillip Cox
Posted by david develop on 6/29/2011 at 4:57 AM
I think it is the same as in
Posted by gdarcan on 12/8/2010 at 7:28 AM
Yes SQL server 2008 R2 didn't fix this.
Posted by ChrisI88 on 11/19/2010 at 12:34 PM
SQL server 2008 R2 Doesn't fix this. It happens in this version too.
Posted by Human Being on 11/17/2010 at 1:18 PM
I just downloaded SQL Server 2008 R2 and I got this error during first installation (not ab upgrade). I was installing it on Microsoft Windows 2008 R2 Server. I presumed that Microsoft would have tested its products before shipping.

My apologies for harsh comments but it is better to have harsh comments from customers. It is now time to wake up. You all can do a much better job than this and you know it.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/6/2010 at 3:00 PM
Thanks for reporting this issue. There is a known issue with these command line parameters. The issue is being fixed in our next major release. Likely when you installed SQL Server 2008, you specified "%programfiles(x86)%\Microsoft SQL Server" for InstallShareDir. Unfortunately, Setup should not allow you to do this. Now when you install SQL Server 2008 R2, InstallSharedDirWoW becomes "%programfiles(x86)%\Microsoft SQL Server" which is not allowed. There is not an easy workaround. Your best bet is to uninstall SQL Server 2008 and then reinstall SQL Server 2008 R2.
File Name Submitted By Submitted On File Size