2008R2 Excel unable to be opened in PDA or iPhone by AlanTelford

Active

Opened: 9/15/2010 6:13:24 PM

In SSRS2005 an excel export (subscription report) opened fine on a WM6 PDA and iPhone.
Since we upgraded to SSRS2008R2, it no longer opens.
"Unable to read document. The file format is invalid".

The same XLS can be opened in Excel 2007.
And when the XLS is opened in Excel 2007, saved, and then resent as an email attachment, the modified XLS will open fine on the WM6 PDA and iPhone.

I've produced a very simple RDL (iPhoneExcelIssue.rdl), deployed to SSRS 2008 R2, and exported to XLS and attached (iPhoneExcelIssue - Unopened - UnReadable in iPhone.xls).
This example fails to open in iPhone, or other smartphone.

Yet when opened in Excel 2007, and saved (iPhoneExcelIssue - Opened and Readable.xls) again, then this saved file can be emailed and viewed on any smartphone.

If the ORIGINAL version was produced like the SAVED version, then all would be well.
Posted by Ryan Kneeshaw on 4/15/2014 at 11:38 AM
I can't believe this is an issue. How can Microsoft expect someone to use SSRS as a key part of our reporting ecosystem if the reports they generate can't be opened on devices that a large majority if senior executives use (iOS). Its doesn't seem like asking Microsoft's SQL team to produce Excel files in the same way as Excel does would be a lot to ask...

I really hope this gets addressed soon.
Posted by ptrubs on 11/13/2013 at 1:25 PM
same issue as http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/774678/ssrs-2012-excel-invalid-file-on-ipad-safari

(so vote on both!)
Posted by ptrubs on 11/13/2013 at 1:20 PM
Ditto. Same problem with SSRS2012 SP1.

I have tried both Excel and Excel2003 with the same result. Strangely I have one report that can be read on the IPAD (xls only) - so now I have to start tracing through the other reports to see if I can identify the 'feature' of the SSRS report that causes the problem. (if I find it I will report back)

To microsoft: Rather than looking to add support for IOS (or any other OS for that matter) - how about modifiying SSRS to save excel files the same way that Excel saves the files?

This problem has been around for years, and as more companies continue to move into mobile tools, they are going to want to use tools that can work with them. To our users - this is a technical issue and they are not going to change the tools they use to do there job. IT has to fix this issue. If we are stonewalled by MS, I have to find another solution. We are heavily invested in SSRS, but the fact that our reports cant be read on an Ipad is forcing our company to search for alternatives that do work.
Posted by VijayReports [MSFT] on 8/8/2013 at 12:25 AM
Posting on behalf of - arun dot ayilliath at gmail dot com >
We are still facing the issue when trying to open an excel, generated from SSRS 2012 Reporting services in IPad (iOS 6). I am running SSRS 2012 with SP1. I have tried out the work around suggested, but no success. If you have a solution or any workaround, kindly share it.
Posted by Cam4371 on 7/30/2013 at 6:00 AM
The workaround for using SSRS 2012 SP1 doesn't work for us either. I've patched it all the way up to CU5 and still can't open these documents. It looks like we will have to explore other options for scheduled reports. Anyone able to recommend a reasonable alternative that actually works?
Posted by BorisMeerovich on 6/14/2013 at 1:17 AM
After installing SSRS 2012 SP1, we still can't open excel files in iOS devices.
I tested both Open Excel and Excel 2003 formats.
My iPhone recognize Excel format and just suggets to open it in some installed applications.

Am I missed something?
Posted by bt_avanade on 2/5/2013 at 11:46 AM
SSRS 2012 SP1 supports iOS devices
Posted by BradleySCS on 12/16/2012 at 12:14 PM
This problem continues to be an issue in SSRS 2012. Also, we have heard users complain that Gmail cannot open the Excel files either.
Posted by AFPeterson on 8/10/2011 at 11:52 AM
Dear Mr. Ballmer;

I'm a huge fan of SQL Server. It's great for my income and perhaps others as well. Now, I think I can speak for quite a few people when I say this, but mobile is big, OK Huge!. SSRS must support mobile, and not just the mobile windows OS. I'm thinking iPhone, iPad, etc. You do want Executives viewing SSRS reports on their iPad don't you?And that includes the output, such as Excel files.

So, please advise the SSRS team to prioritize mobile and other browsers.

Best Regards,
AFP
Posted by dhalf on 5/20/2011 at 11:14 AM
Tell you what, if you remove the ridiculous number of steps that it takes to up the vote count (Login or create a Live login, choose a connect username, and then fill out a registration page) I will send the 50+ users from my company who are on me to get the new dashboard reports I setup in SSRS viewable on their iPhones over here so they can vote too. This is a big issue for us.

You may not officially support apps outside of excel, but you can at least officially save a file the same way Excel itself would.
Posted by dispatch systems on 3/24/2011 at 9:28 AM
Huge problem for us in that we use SSRS for all the management reporting and 2008R2 is having these issue. All the managers having issues with their blackberrys.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/3/2011 at 10:11 PM
Thanks everyone for posting further details about this issue. Our Word and Excel rendering extensions do not officially support applications other than Word and Excel themselves. Viewing these documents in other applications, such as on iOS, is not guaranteed to work, although it may work (or may have worked) in some cases.

With that said, the vote count on this bug helps us gauge the need for official support on iOS.

Riccardo Muti
SQL Server Reporting Services
Posted by Ted Stathakis on 1/10/2011 at 10:06 AM
I find in interesting that iOS3.x users or SSRS 2005 users OK and that the problem only occurs if you have upgraded either your report server or phone. We too are experience this (SSRS2008, not R2 and iOS 4.x) and it is a huge black eye for Microsoft and the mobile device community.
Posted by Joshua Guttman on 12/13/2010 at 12:11 PM
Excel files emailed from SSRS are un-viewable on an iphone. I've manually sent excel spreadsheets to myself via excel in 97-2003 and 2007 format and they work fine so its not a version problem - its an SSRS problem. Its only when SSRS 2008R2 tries it that they don't open. They open fine on an PC or a mac but not on an iphone. This is a big deal because it is seen as a downgrade from 2005 and I can't really disagree.
Posted by BradleySCS on 12/12/2010 at 12:11 PM
Same issue on an iPhone iOS 4.2. I notified Apple about the issue in September but I now believe it has somethind to do with SSRS. We have clients on SSRS 2005, 2008 and 2008 R2. All experiencing issues opening Excel files generated by SSRS. I've also tested QuickOffice Connect and Filer Lite on the iPhone, they both were unable to open the Excel files.
Posted by Skywalker73 on 11/8/2010 at 6:51 AM
I spoke too soon, this is still an issue only from Excel files directly from SSRS 2008 R2.
Posted by Skywalker73 on 11/5/2010 at 6:16 AM
I check our daily file today on an iPhone I have for testing and the Excel file from SSRS opens fine.

iOS 4.1 (8B117), I'm not sure if Apple put out an update or some other settings changed.
Posted by AlanTelford on 10/31/2010 at 8:27 PM
I agree it is a BIG issue for us too. We marketed to our customers the benefits of us *upgrading* to 2008, and told our customers about improved user interface, new tablix reports etc.
BUT ... a direct quote from one customer says it all.
"Before your company went though the recent DOWN GRADE to the reports I could ..."

So rather that being impressed by the new features in 2008R2, our customers believe that going from 2005 to 2008 is actually a DOWN GRADE.

I'm trying hard to put a positive spin on this for our customers, but they're sure not buying it at the moment.
Posted by Skywalker73 on 10/30/2010 at 4:15 AM
This is *BIG* issue where I work, our sales staff uses their iPhones more than their laptops. Anyone that upgraded their iPhone to iOS4 or above is experiencing this issue. I have 1 user that hasn't upgraded, he's still on iOS3... and he can view auto generated SSRS 2008 R2 Excel report fine.

A status would be great.
Posted by Microsoft on 10/29/2010 at 11:23 AM
Thanks for reporting this issue. We are investigating and can reproduce the error on some mobile devices. However, note that SSRS has no explicit support for mobile devices at this time.

Riccardo Muti
SQL Server Reporting Services
Posted by Ascendo on 10/21/2010 at 11:09 PM
Hi

We are experiencing the same problem.

Still no fix/workaround.

Thanks

A
Posted by bt_avanade on 2/5/2013 at 11:46 AM
SSRS 2012 SP1
Posted by bt_avanade on 2/5/2013 at 11:45 AM
SSRS 2012 SP1: Tested and validated
Posted by Ssiris on 6/13/2011 at 1:24 PM
Haven't tried it out myself, but this seems to be a good workaround...

File Name Submitted By Submitted On File Size