DCR - SSMS Activity Monitor timeout window by PrinceLucifer

as Won't Fix Help for as Won't Fix

Opened: 3/15/2011 11:23:05 PM

When Activity Monitor runs into a timeout for whatever reason (which it shouldn't in the first place, but that's another story) and SSMS is not the active task at that time the timeout error popup is put in the background, normally behind the SSMS window itself. At that point in time SSMS stops responding (because of the modal timeout window) and you can't close the timeout window because it is hidden behind SSMS.
So I would request to set the timeout window to at least appear in the taskbar, so it can be directly selected, or do not set the window modal for the whole SSMS instance.
Posted by Ireneusz Pisanko-Krzyzanowski on 12/16/2011 at 6:16 AM
Simply try to hit the Escape (ESC) button to activate your SSMS instance.
Sometimes it helps ;-)
Kind regards, Ireneus
Posted by Microsoft on 7/6/2011 at 7:27 AM
Lucifier, we considered fixing this issue along with others for our SQL Server 2011 release. We cannot accomodate this as other high priority issues taken precedence over this. We will consider fixing this for next release.

Regards
Satish
Posted by Microsoft on 3/29/2011 at 1:57 PM
Hi Lucifer,

Thank you for th suggestion, after getting CPU to 100% I was able to get the issue reproduced.

I will involve the Dev team on to this and they would udapte you once they have one.

Thanks for taking time to report this issue to us.

Have a nice day!!

Regards,
Amit
Posted by PrinceLucifer on 3/28/2011 at 10:01 PM
Hi Amit!

The "easiest" way I found so far is to use any sort of Stress tool that maxes out the CPU. If you can keep the CPU at 100% Activity Monitor will time out almost certainly.

Lucifer
Posted by Microsoft on 3/28/2011 at 4:22 PM
Hi Prince,

I had a request, can you share with me how you were able to manage to lock the activity monitor. I have tried but was not successful.

Thanks,
Amit
Posted by PrinceLucifer on 3/16/2011 at 12:35 PM
Hi Bhupinder!

I actually put this here in Connect because the support cases came back with "per design" and it's not enough pain to push a DCR through support.
And for your question: Yes, it also happens in Denali. If you have massive load on the server or some system tables locked the activity monitor just hangs because it's reading commited.
But again: I am not trying to push the change in activity monitor to be able to handle all the possible problem scenarios, I only would like to have a chance to see the timeout in the tasklist so I can acknowledge it...

Lucifer
Posted by Microsoft on 3/16/2011 at 12:16 PM
Hi Prince,

I see that you are facing an issue with Activity Monitor timing out in SQL Server 2008 R2.I wanted to check if you are also facing this issue in SQL 11 as well. If the issue is only in SQL 2008 R2, then I would suggest you to please open a regular support case with SQL Support Team as SQL 2008 R2 is already released and it is not a Beta product anymore.

Let me know if you face same issue with SQL 11 as well so that I can further investigate.

Thanks,