SQL 2012 RC0 install fails with .NET 4.0 error by RickNZ

as By Design Help for as By Design

Opened: 12/10/2011 4:31:34 AM

Installation of SQL 2012 RC0 fails with an error related to not being able to install .NET 4.0, even though it's already installed.
Posted by Koku Sakeru on 7/23/2014 at 5:24 AM
Once Internet was connected and installation continued normally. Setup program did not try to download anything and installed version (4.5) of Framework was accepted. So offline installation is impossible and it's bug.
Posted by Koku Sakeru on 7/22/2014 at 3:12 AM
I tried to install SQL Server 2012 SP1 Express 64-bit on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 64-bit with .NET Framework 4 installed and got this error.
Adding registry fixes didn't change anything. I think this bug must be reopened.
Posted by Josie02 on 2/11/2014 at 5:54 PM
[SQL Server Team]

Your reg fixes did not fix the issue.

"Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 installation has failed with exit code 1642"

I have tried removing .NET with the Microsoft Removal Tool, I have also tried the Microsoft Repair Tool.

What other options do I have?
Posted by iamrajeeb on 4/24/2013 at 1:09 PM
i am having the same problem and i had done all the processes mentioned here
but still am unable to install the complete sql 2012 package

can any body help me to resolve my issue

Regards
Raj
Posted by ErmannoG on 9/12/2012 at 8:19 AM
Same problem during install SQL Server 2012 Management Studio Express 64 Bit Italian on Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit Italian with .NET Framework 4.0 installed and without any version of .NET Framework 4.5 installed.

I solved install the Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Full Language for Italian language.
I not install KB2544514, KB2544514, KB2533523 and I not adding any registry setting.
Posted by Tim Witham on 8/26/2012 at 9:16 PM
Adding the first registry setting (as per posting: Posted by Microsoft on 12/12/2011 at 1:50 PM) and then adding the missing (SQL Client Tools) features worked for me.
Posted by RichardJECooke on 6/12/2012 at 12:46 AM
Microsoft, pleae give more help. I tried all three registry commands below and SQL still tries to install .NET 4 and fails with error code 1. How do you make it see it's already installed?
Posted by Eoles on 5/29/2012 at 8:45 AM
I too have the same issue. Is there a resolution to this problem? The registry additions and the "repair" did NOT fix this for me.
Posted by Stefaans on 4/4/2012 at 5:41 AM
Hi All
I had the same problem with the RTM.
All that I did was to download .NET Framework 4 AGAIN and "repair" it.
I then tried the SQL Server 2012 Install again and managed to get it in with no problems.
regards Steve Simon
Posted by Roger Jennings on 2/21/2012 at 1:10 PM
I encountered the can't install .NET Framework 4 problem, but didn't have .NET 4.5 preview installed on this machine. The two registry key additions appeared to solve the problem when rerunning setup.

--rj
Posted by DarkGray Knight on 2/8/2012 at 12:04 PM
I placed the registry entries in, but at this point it still tries to install the .NET framework 4 and fails.
Posted by Domingo Samper Lara on 12/20/2011 at 12:27 AM
Hi,

It's also necessary to run this command for KB2533523:

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended\KB2533523" /v ThisVersionInstalled /t REG_SZ /d "Y"

Thanks
Posted by RickNZ on 12/12/2011 at 4:30 PM
I've attached a zip containing the logs.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/12/2011 at 3:57 PM
Hi Rick, sorry to hear that didn't resolve your issue. Could you attach the log files to this connect item?

Thanks,
[SQL Server Team]
Posted by RickNZ on 12/12/2011 at 3:32 PM
Thanks for your response.

After making the registry changes and verifying them with regedit (I'm using W7 x64), I ran the SQL 2012 RC0 installer. Unfortunately it is still failing with "Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 installation has failed with exit code 1642".

The installation fails for: Database Engine Services, Full-Text and Semantic Extractions for Search, SQL Server Replication, and Analysis Services. It claims success for Management Tools - Complete, Client Tools Backwards Compatibility, Management Tools - Basic and SQL Server Data Tools. I have been able to successfully run the new version of SSMS and use it to connect to an existing DB.

I still have the installer log files; I can send them to you if it would help. My email address is rick at 12titans.net.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/12/2011 at 1:50 PM
Hi Rick, this is a known issue that is due to the fact that you have a pre-release version of .Net 4.5 installed on the system.

In order to work around this issue, you can perform the following:

Here are the commands to run to force Denali setup to skip the installation of the .Net updates (note that on a 64-bit machine you need to create these in the 64-bit registry):

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended\KB2544514" /v ThisVersionInstalled /t REG_SZ /d "Y"

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended\KB2468871" /v ThisVersionInstalled /t REG_SZ /d "Y"

Let us know if this doesn't resolve your issue.

thanks,