Service Inicialization Failled by Corrupted System Resource in Windows 8 Client by Ricardo Muramatsu

as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

Opened: 3/27/2012 8:58:43 AM

I had been installed SQL Server 2012 on Windows 8 Custumer Preview and after installation the service of SQL Server does not starts.
On EventViewer I get this message:
Cannot use file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\master.mdf' because it was originally formatted with sector size 4096 and is now on a volume with sector size 3072. Move the file to a volume with a sector size that is the same as or smaller than the original sector size.

My NTFS sistem is running ok:
C:\Windows\system32>fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo c:
Mft Start Lcn :                 0x00000000000c0000
Mft2 Start Lcn :                 0x0000000000000002
Mft Zone Start :                 0x0000000000c253e0
Mft Zone End :                 0x0000000000c31c00
Resource Manager Identifier :     1B35AE90-7116-11E1-B055-8AA60C2F56BB
Posted by Microsoft on 2/19/2013 at 3:25 PM
This is a failure of the hardware/firmware. SQL is correctly reporting the condition.
Posted by Ricardo Muramatsu on 12/11/2012 at 2:26 AM
A Microsoft fechou como impossível reproduzir, não forneceu nenhum comentário.
Com isto, não poderei sugerir a nenhum cliente a migração para SQL 2012. Uma pena (mais uma vez).
Posted by Yiann0s on 9/14/2012 at 2:41 AM
I Have the same problem!!
Posted by George P Boutwell on 5/1/2012 at 9:46 PM
Microsoft closed my other bug report.... They determined that it was a fault of Dell's BIOS and a Dell BIOS update will be needed for SQL Server to install on my laptop under Win 8
Posted by George P Boutwell on 4/15/2012 at 7:24 PM
I get the same error from SQL Server 2008 R1 SP1 on the same Windows 8 client
Posted by George P Boutwell on 4/15/2012 at 7:24 PM
I have unintentionally created a duplicate of this Connect report, my duplicate is the following:

Posted by Ricardo Muramatsu on 12/11/2012 at 2:27 AM
Não instalar o SQL Server 2012.
Posted by SqlDataboy on 4/28/2012 at 7:51 AM

Workaround for SQL Server Originally Formatted with Sector Size 4092 Now 3072

In short: Create and attach a .VHD, permission it, attach a mount point, and drag your .mdf and .lfd files

downstream of the mount point.

Recently, I have been working with Windows Server 8 Beta, wherein I installed SQL Server 2012, and other

products, then used the new ADK (replaces AIK) to build an answer file and sysprep the build.

While everything worked fine applying it (Imagex) on nodes with identical drives (dual 160 GB SATAs, RAID 0,

Intel Matrix Controller), I ran into trouble on nodes with larger drives (Seagate SATAs in the terabyte

range).

I played with format commands, partition sizes, strip sizes, raid configuration in general, all to no avail,

just kept getting massages like this:

Cannot use file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.yourInstance\MSSQL\DATA\master.mdf' because it

Needless to say, the SQL instance would not start.

I was able to build a workaround for this issue (Not a perfect solution, a workaround).

High Level Steps:

1. Starting in Windows 7 / Server 2008 R2 you can easily create and attach .vhd files in diskmgmt.msc or

DISKPART; make a .vhd that suits you.

2. Initialize the disk just like you would a real one in DISKPART or diskmgmt.msc

3. Create a volume on the disk, just like you would with a real one... format NTFS, Unit size = 4096, etc.,

but don't assign a drive letter.

4. (Permissions are a pain across mount points, so) Right click the .vhd file and give NT SERVICE\MSSQL

$YourInstance <--(your instance name) permissions as they were in the original location

5. Do the same for the volume or volumes you create on top of the .vhd disk (I created two volumes, one for

SQLs Dbs, and one for my Dbs); you can do the permissioning in diskmgmt.msc by right-clicking the volume--

>properties-->security tab (I got so propagation errors when I did it, but it worked inspite of it).

6. Rename the old data folder (C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.YourInstance\MSSQL\DATA\ to

something like .\DATA_Original

7. Create a new empty .\DATA folder in the original location (this will become our mount point).

8. Mount a newly-created volume to the newly created folder, and copy the original .mdf, .ldf files into it.

9. Make sure NT SERVICE\MSSQL$YourInstance has permission on the files... remember, they don't natively

inherit across mount points.

10. You'll need to use the same approach on your personal databases (that's why I created that other volume

on my .vhd... I can mount it somewhere else.

11. Start SQL Instance.

Disclaimer: I understand all that about separating log and data files, multiple spindles, etc. --this is just

to get you past the problem; put your data wherever you want.

Helpful URLs: