Business Intelligence -BIDS/SSDT missing referenced assembly by Simon Lampen

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 4/3/2012 10:05:01 PM

In a Report Service Project in Visual Studio 2010, trying to import a MS Access report throws a FileNotFound exception and the import fails.
Posted by Microsoft on 10/3/2012 at 8:28 AM
We have fixed the issue related to import from MS Access in our internal codebase.

The VS 2012 support question is independent of this issue. We are not discussing our specific plans at this time, however I can say that we are committed to supporting our BI tools in VS 2012 and are working toward this outcome.

Thanks,
-Lukasz
Posted by Simon Lampen on 9/11/2012 at 4:01 PM
Hi Matt,
Can you confirm the status of this fix and the use of BIDS with respect to VS2012 now that it is released.
ie: are you planning to have BIDS stay in sync with VS releases or have them always out of sync as in the past?

Cheers
Simon
Posted by Microsoft on 9/11/2012 at 3:43 PM
We have found and fixed the issue internally. The fix will be made public in an upcoming SQL release, before the end of this year.
-Matt
Posted by mammuthus on 9/5/2012 at 4:10 PM
This issue is NOT resolved. I have the same error on a 32 bit server 2012 and 32 bit Office versions 2003, 2007, 2010, all with the same result.
Posted by GESjohn on 9/3/2012 at 12:31 PM
This should NOT be marked as "Resolved". I am having the same problem with 32 bit SQL Server 2012 and 32 bit Office 2010. I have also tried various 32 / 64 bit SQL Server and Office combinations all with same result.
Posted by PilotRay on 6/15/2012 at 6:34 PM
Bob,

I have one PC with the Access Report Import working (from SSDT) which has 32-BIT everything.

- - - - - - -

My other pc fails to Import MS Access Reports with configuration :
    64 bit Win 7 O/S SP1
    32-Bit Office Pro Plus
    64-Bit SQL Server 2012
    Visual Studio 2010 SP1

so i removed 64-bit SQL and reinstalled 32-bit SQL and it still failed.
so I removed 64-bit Win & O/S and reinstalled 32-bit Win 7 O/S and it STILL FAILS -even though I have 32-bit everything.

These are all Microsoft products - no 3rd party vendor installed.
We are converting 200+ MS Access reports to SSRS (RB 3.0) - so we have a show stopper at global company.

Pilot
Posted by PilotRay on 6/11/2012 at 3:56 PM
Bob,

I receive same error as Try.

My config : Windows 7     64 bit (4 gb RAM)
                 SQL 2012        w/ SSRS, SSIS, SSAS
                 Access 2010     32bit    w/ latest patches installed

I do NOT receive this error on my 2nd duplicate PC that is indential except it has 32 bit Win 7 installed.

Does seem like a 32-bit or 64-bit MS Access issue. Perhaps a 64-bit O/S issue ?
Posted by troy.montgomery on 6/2/2012 at 6:57 PM
Bob,
I got here a different way as the particular bug I had was listed as a duplicate of this one. I do not have 64-bit office installed but am running 64 bit windows 7. Would you mind looking a little deeper into this issue of not being able to import reports from Access 2010? Should we reopen this bug report?

Troy
Posted by Erik van Dongen on 5/2/2012 at 11:36 PM
Hi Bob,

I have been experiencing the same issue on my machine too. I also have Office 2010 64 bit installed. Strange thing is that allthough importing an Access file into VS2010 fails it works just fine in VS2008 on the same machine! Seems like a bug to me...

Cheers,
Erik van Dongen
Posted by Simon Lampen on 5/1/2012 at 2:35 PM
Hi Bob,
In the meantime, I did suspect this and have completely uninstalled Office x64 and freshly installed Office 32bit but the problem still persists.
Are you able to give me any pointers to help resolve this?
Is this a usability issue going forward as there are realistically more people (especially devs) who are going to be installing 64 bit versions of Office.
Suggestions:
1) catch the error and at least tip people off about the incompatibility.
2) better still flag this at SSDT/BIDS installation time
3) look at ways to interoperate so that is does work because I don't see VS going to 64 bit any time soon.

Cheers
Simon
Aspiring SQL Server Reporting Services User :)
Posted by Microsoft on 5/1/2012 at 12:37 PM
Thanks for your feedback on this issue. Sorry for the delayed response after resolution of the bug yesterday. We believe this is due to a mismatch between your 64-bit Office installation and Visual Studio, which is a 32-bit process. Because of this mismatch, the RS interop assembly running in VS cannot load the corresponding Access DLL. If you install a 32-bit version of Office, the Access Import feature should work correctly. Hope this helps.

Bob Meyers
SQL Server Reporting Services
Posted by Simon Lampen on 4/30/2012 at 8:15 PM
Sorry, but could you please explain how this is by design?
Or let me know how I can import an Access report into SSRS.