SQL Server Management Studio 2012 errors when doing restore to SQL 2008 by Adam Clark

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 7/27/2012 8:07:55 AM

using the SQL server 2012 SSMS tool to do a restore of a full and differential backup on a SQL 2008 tools, I get the following error:

"Unable to create a restore plan due to break in the LSN chain." I believe this is due to the way the interface is reading the LSNs in the differential backup.

When I use the SQL Server 2008 SSMS tool to restore the same database using the same full and differential backup set, the restore proceeds just fine.
Posted by JoeSchmoe115 on 3/15/2014 at 9:54 AM
Why is this closed as fixed? Where is the fix?

Using "Restore Files and FileGroups" is mentioned as a workaround but it doesn't allow for exact point in time restore.
Posted by John Eisbrener on 3/4/2014 at 9:13 AM
Please be more specific about "The Next Release". I just updated my 2012 client to SP1 CU6 and am still encountering this error. I cannot imagine the fix is related to SQL 2008 as this seems to be a client issue and not an issue with the DB Engine.
Posted by shonthom on 9/12/2013 at 1:37 PM
It has been 10 months since the last SP was released. Why can't we get a SP to fix this?
Posted by AKrasheninnikov on 4/11/2013 at 1:41 AM
Same with no Hyper-V. Where's the fix?
Posted by Microsoft on 1/21/2013 at 3:52 PM
Thank you for reporting this issue. It has been addressed and it will be available in the next release.

Daniel Vasquez-Lopez [MSFT SQL SERVER]
Posted by Fabrizio - fhtino on 12/12/2012 at 12:10 AM
I have the issue using SSMS express 2012 on a SQL Express 2012.
The full + diff restore works fine if I run the tsql directly. So, IMHO, the problem is in the SSMS GUI and not in the TSQL "engine".
Posted by J M Arun on 11/18/2012 at 7:26 PM
I too face the same issue. still after one month MS dint find any solution for this important issue?

Cheers,
Arun J M
Posted by Microsoft on 10/23/2012 at 11:17 AM
Thank you for reporting this issue - we are investigating and will update you when we have more information.

Thanks,

Alex Grach [MSFT SQL SERVER]
Posted by David Schanzer on 10/11/2012 at 9:45 PM
I'm hitting this problem too, only in SSMS 2012 - SSMS 2008 R2 can restore the same differential backup set on a 2008 R2 instance without a problem. The issue is the same with trying to restore a transaction log backup set.

Come on Microsoft, this is a serious and reproducible problem!
Posted by JoeSchmoe115 on 3/15/2014 at 10:23 AM
Workaround posted by Alexandru Serban on 2/15/2013 (manually select a group of needed files) works for me.
Posted by JoeSchmoe115 on 3/15/2014 at 9:54 AM
Posted by JoeSchmoe115 on 3/15/2014 at 9:49 AM
Regarding fix Posted by John Eisbrener on 3/4/2014 at 9:15 AM - I use 2012 client tools with 2012 SQL Server and I have this issue. I do have Differential backups scheduled once day every day of the week except one day when I do full backup instead; log backups are taken every 15 minutes.
Posted by John Eisbrener on 3/4/2014 at 9:15 AM
Use a client that is the same version of the database engine you're trying to perform the restore operation on. For instance, this error only pops when I try to restore a 2008 R2 db using the 2012 client tools. If I try to restore the same db using the GUI in the 2008 R2 client tools, I have no issues what-so-ever.
Posted by Ralph Jansen on 2/9/2014 at 10:21 PM
Try to refresh the list of databases in management studio. For me it worked... Strange bug...
Posted by Sandesh Segu on 8/26/2013 at 11:55 AM
Try Restoring using the "Restore Files and Filegroups..." Option.
Posted by Alexandru Serban on 2/15/2013 at 6:28 AM
I came across the same issue, not pretty, but if you select Device instead of Database for the Source and then manually browse for the backup files you want to use for the restore it works.