Home Dashboard Directory Help
Search

SQL Server 2012 Enterprise Installation Failure by DevSeeker


Status: 

Active


1
0
Sign in
to vote
Type: Bug
ID: 766659
Opened: 10/8/2012 6:41:27 PM
Access Restriction: Public
2
Workaround(s)
view
1
User(s) can reproduce this bug

Description

I have a server with SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 that is the host for SharePoint Foundation 2010 and uses Reporting Services in SharePoint-Integrated Mode.

I have tried multiple times to upgrade this server to SQL Server 2012 Enterprise and every time I try the upgrade I get a failure that states "Can't create the managed service account" for the reporting services piece. This causes the whole upgrade to fail.

I have tried multiple switches to get around this issue but I fail every time and get this error. Prior to the upgrade, when setup gets to the reporting services piece it prompts for the application pool password of the account (greyed out account name) that already is running the reporting services in integrated mode (not a managed service account but is an Active Directory account). I even tried uninstalling SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 to have it rollback to SP1 and I still get the same error.

I do not want to use a managed service account for the SharePoint-integrated mode but I am not being prompted to pick the type of account either. It seems as if setup assumes that is what I want to do. I do not have permissions to create a managed service account.

This prevents my upgrade to SQL Server 2012 on this server. I have not run into this issue on other SQL Servers that do not use SharePoint-integrated mode.

Here is a portion of the detailed error from the setup log with <accountname> being shown in place of the account I'm trying to use:

(01) 2012-07-31 15:00:04 Slp: Sco: Attempting to determine if the password is required for account '<accountname>'
(01) 2012-07-31 15:00:04 Slp: Sco: Attempting to determine if the account '<accountname>' is Virtual Account
(01) 2012-07-31 15:00:04 Slp: Sco: Attempting to get account sid for user account <accountname>
(01) 2012-07-31 15:00:04 Slp: Sco: Attempting to get sid for user account <accountname>
(01) 2012-07-31 15:00:04 Slp: Sco: GetSidForAccount normalized accountName <accountname> parameter to <accountname>
(01) 2012-07-31 15:00:04 Slp: Sco: Attempting to determine if the account '<accountname>' is Managed Service Account
(01) 2012-07-31 15:00:04 RS_SHP: Running PowerShell Script:
(01) 2012-07-31 15:00:06 RS_SHP: Pipeline Error when running PowerShell script: Reason Account <accountname> has already been registered.
(01) 2012-07-31 15:00:06 RS_SHP: Running PS Script failed. Reason:Account <accountname> has already been registered.
(01) 2012-07-31 15:00:06 RS_SHP: Can't create the SharePoint managed account.
(01) 2012-07-31 15:00:06 RS_SHP: System.Exception: Account <accountname> has already been registered.
(01) 2012-07-31 15:00:06 Slp: Configuration action failed for feature RS_SHP_SharedService_Adv during timing ConfigNonRC and scenario ConfigNonRC.
(01) 2012-07-31 15:00:06 Slp: Can't create the managed account named <accountname>.
(01) 2012-07-31 15:00:06 Slp: The configuration failure category of current exception is ConfigurationFailure
(01) 2012-07-31 15:00:06 Slp: Exception type: Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.RSSHPExtension.RSSHPCantCreateManagedAccount
(01) 2012-07-31 15:00:06 Slp:     Message:
(01) 2012-07-31 15:00:06 Slp:         Can't create the managed account named <accountname>.
(01) 2012-07-31 15:00:06 Slp:     HResult : 0x84d90004
(01) 2012-07-31 15:00:06 Slp:         FacilityCode : 1241 (4d9)
(01) 2012-07-31 15:00:06 Slp:         ErrorCode : 4 (0004)
(01) 2012-07-31 15:00:06 Slp:     Data:
(01) 2012-07-31 15:00:06 Slp:     SQL.Setup.FailureCategory = ConfigurationFailure
(01) 2012-07-31 15:00:06 Slp:     WatsonConfigActionData = UPGRADE@CONFIGNONRC@RS_SHP_SHAREDSERVICE_ADV
(01) 2012-07-31 15:00:06 Slp:     WatsonExceptionFeatureIdsActionData = System.String[]
(01) 2012-07-31 15:00:06 Slp:     Stack:
Details
Sign in to post a comment.
Posted by Microsoft on 10/22/2013 at 10:58 AM
Thanks for finding this issue. We will consider a fix for this in the next major release.

Thanks,
Matt Jones
SSRS Tiger Dev
Sign in to post a workaround.
Posted by Jamie IAMCloud on 2/10/2013 at 8:16 AM
We found removing the specified account from SharePoint > Central Admin > Managed Accounts worked. after removing it the installing ran fine and after rebooting the reporting services nodes the Managed account had been replaced presumably by the installer.
Posted by DevSeeker on 11/26/2012 at 11:24 AM
I think this is still an issue because I tried the upgrade with the new slipstream 2012 SP1 version and still ran into the error listed above.

My workaround was to trick the install. I did not fully document each step but the basics were to switch the current installation from SharePoint-integrated mode to Native mode. This allowed the upgrade to work as expected. I then had to install reporting services in Sharepoint mode as a post-installation step. Lastly, I pointed SharePoint to the original SharePoint-Integrated mode database. The system upgraded the necessary items to allow the database to work.

Because of the way I did this work around, I had to reset all passwords. I forgot to take a backup of the key prior to changing anything, so if you do this step, make sure you backup that first before trying anything.