SQL Server Report Project Unsupported in Visual Studio 2012 by bpatin

Resolved
 as By Design Help for as By Design

Opened: 10/12/2012 9:33:25 AM

I have installed Visual Studio Ultimate 2012 version 11.0.50727.1 on Windows 7 and Windows 8 with .NET version 4.5.50709 and SQL Server Data Tools version 11.1.20905.0 for Visual Studio 2012. I had a SQL Server Reporting Services project created in Visual Studio 2008 and converted with Visual Studio 2010. The project file has extension .rptproj. When I try to open the project in Visual Studio 2012, I get an error saying that it is unsupported.
Posted by bpatin on 7/10/2013 at 8:21 AM
Here is the real resolution:

To work with SSRS reports in Visual Studio 2012, go to msdn.com/data/tools.aspx and download and install the "SSDT-BI for Visual Studio 2012".

Note that the "SSDT-BI", that works with Visual Studio 2012, is a different set of tools than the "SSDT". The "SSDT" ("SQL Server Data Tools", formerly called the "Business Intelligence Studio") is an option for SSQL Server installation that installs a shell of Visual Studio 2010 with the ability to work with SSRS report projects and report design. All of this confusing mix of similar names was caused, according to one insider, by two different teams in Microsoft making naming change decisions and not coordinating with each other.
Posted by Microsoft on 6/24/2013 at 2:08 PM
Thanks for your feedback on this, we are working on getting the installation documentation updated on the SSDTBI package to avoid this confusion in the future. The scenario you are describing only happens if you already have a SQL Server instance installed. In this case, the SSDTBI setup asks if you want to setup a new instance or update an existing instance. You want to select the "install a new instance", but you won't actually install a new instance. Unfortunately, this is somewhat confusing. If you select this, and check the box on the next page, rptproj support should now be available in Visual Studio.

Thanks,
Matt Jones
SQL Server Reporting Services
Tiger Dev
Posted by bpatin on 4/16/2013 at 9:23 AM
While it seemed to be what I needed, the page you mention leads me to download "SSDTBI_VS2012_x86_ENU.exe". When I try to install it, it attempts to install SQL Server SP1 on my SQL Server instance, even though SP1 is already installed. Then it fails with an architecture mismatch. The "x86" in the file name is a clue to me that I need a different one for 64 bit architecture, since I am running 64 bit versions of Windows Server, SQL Server and Visual Studio 2012. But no other file is specified and the specs say it supports x64 anyway.

I did find a file named "SQLServerDataToolsForVS2012_SSDTSetup.exe" in a folder that I keep for saving installation downloads (I don't remember where I got it), and installed that, which it did successfully. However, Visual Studio 2012 still does not recognize project file type ".rptproj".
Posted by Microsoft on 4/9/2013 at 4:52 PM
Please install the Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools - Business Intelligence for Visual Studio 2012 addin from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36843 . If this does not solve your issue, please reply to this thread.

Thanks,
Matt Jones
Posted by bpatin on 4/5/2013 at 12:43 PM
For security reasons, I cannot give you a copy of a solution. However, you can check it very simply. Go to Visual Studio 2012 and try to open a project based on a project file type ".rptproj". You should find that it is not listed in the selection list for project types. If your installation of Visual Studio 2012 does have a project file type ".rptproj", then I am missing something. In that case, please give me a clue as to what i am missing and how to install it. You can also try to create a report project, but the closest that you will get is a Windows C# Reporting Application, with a file type of ".csproj", which is not the same as a Reporting Services Report Project.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/4/2013 at 2:26 PM
Thanks for finding and notifying us of this issue. We have tested and confirmed that projects created with VS 2010 and VS2012 are forward and backward compatible. If possible, please attach a zipped up solution file from VS2008 or VS2010 that is able to repro this issue.

Thanks,