Home Dashboard Directory Help
Search

SSRS Reports & Shared Datasets lose Shared Datasource References by Dan English


Status: 

Closed


5
0
Sign in
to vote
Type: Bug
ID: 768404
Opened: 10/23/2012 7:06:47 AM
Access Restriction: Public
0
Workaround(s)
view
5
User(s) can reproduce this bug

Description

We installed SP2 for SQL Server 2008 R2 (was on SP1 CU3) in an existing Dev/Test environment to test. We are using SharePoint Integrated mode setup (SP 2010 SP1 CU Aug 2012). The following day the stored credentials that we had saved for the shared data sources was no longer valid (the user name was missing). I am assuming that because of this all of the references to these were removed from the reports and shared datasets. Something must be modifying the stored credentials or removing them from the data sources in nightly maintenance. Along with this the shared data source is disabled.
Details
Sign in to post a comment.
Posted by Microsoft on 10/31/2013 at 4:50 PM
Hello,
Thank you for submitting this feedback. After carefully evaluating all of the bugs in our pipeline, we are closing bugs that we will not fix in the current or future versions of SQL Server. The reasons for closing these bugs are following:
1.     The fix is risky to implement in the current version of the product (service packs)
2.     Scenarios reported in the bug are not common enough
3.     A viable workaround is available

If the issue is a critical business interruption, please call CSS (Customer Support Services).

Thanks again for reporting the product issue and continued support in improving our product.

Mariusz Cichomski
Program Manager, Microsoft | SQL
Posted by D10ny5u532 on 6/25/2013 at 4:45 PM
Hi Dan, any update on this one? We have this issue in our DEV environment, but appears to be fine in another similar environment.
Posted by Dan English on 10/25/2012 at 1:54 PM
Tried a different fix, created new catalog db & then pointed back to original one. Heard this fixed issue for another person. Same results as re-doing the encrypted content and key. Dev environment data sources disabled, test data sources okay, only thing impacted in test again was the shared datasets for some reason. Dev environment nothing was working. Restored ReportServer db to fix.

Now we are going to simply backup the database during the night and run a restore in the morning hours to resolve the issue for time being. Next step is to work on a SSRS 2012 upgrade, hopefully that will resolve the issue. Major mess right now and confused by the different results with the two different web apps with the shared catalog.
Posted by Dan English on 10/24/2012 at 6:31 AM
One thing to note is that we have two different SharePoint applications sharing this catalog database. The data sources in the development environment were impacted, meaning that the stored credentials were blown away and they were disabled. The ones in the test evironment were not impacted. Very confused as to why that would be. After I deleted the encrypted content yesterday I updated the connection strings and stored credentials in both environments. Very odd behavior.
Posted by Dan English on 10/24/2012 at 6:02 AM
So reapplying the service account credentials did not work and in addition to that I went one step further and deleted the encrypted data and created a new encryption key. All data sources were updated with connection string and credentials and once again the data sources were all disabled and credentials blown away this morning.

At this point it pretty much seems like we will have to rebuild the whole catalog database from scratch, that is very unfortunate.
Posted by Dan English on 10/23/2012 at 11:00 AM
It appears that this might not be solely tied to SP2 because I am now finding out other instances of this same issue. Seems like something with the Encryption Key is getting messed up or corrupted, not completely sure. I have also seen instances posted in regards to SQL 2012 as well.

Here are a couple of other threads I found and I have gone ahead and reapplied the Service Account credentials in the Reporting Services Configuration Manager. Hopefully this resolves the issue now and I won't have to fix all of these references tomorrow again. Really unfortunate that this happened, major mess.

SharePoint 2010 SSRS Data Sources mysteriously being disabled - http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/br/sharepoint2010general/thread/7d727e74-b79b-4db9-99b3-f06adedc6095

Sharepoint dropping link to Data Source for SSRS reports - http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/91016bff-20e7-446a-bb70-7be407096faf
Sign in to post a workaround.