SQL Server 2012 Management Studio Crashes by Fluxify

Active

Opened: 11/11/2012 10:28:33 PM

At random times, SQL Server 2012 Management Studio crashes without warning. Upon arriving at work, I usually open up Visual Studio and SQL Server 2012 Management Studio for work purposes. During the course of the day, especially during the afternoons, SQL Server 2012 Management Studio crashes a minimum of once every 3-4 days. It's not related to the volume of data processed, but it happens when I expand a database to view its tables. Sometimes the application crashes when trying to create a new SQL query (either new/blank or using the table menu (Generate Scripts). As said above, its not a regular thing but it does happen from time to time and I have experienced this a minimum of 5 times during the last 2 weeks.
Posted by Anil Pillai on 7/1/2014 at 3:19 PM
MS - can you care to respond to this issue, please? This is a major issue for me. And it is so random. Works just fine for two weeks, and now back to repeated crashes.
Posted by RangerOne3294286 on 2/21/2014 at 6:52 PM
In addition to the detailed comment I just left, I should also have mentioned that SSMS does also crash while we're connected via RDP (and not connecting). It's far less common, but still probably daily for all our users. This seems to happen even with no active queries open. We usually do have SQL Agent Monitor open, but I'm unsure if that's a contributing factor or not.
Posted by RangerOne3294286 on 2/21/2014 at 6:49 PM
SSMS crashes for me and 5 other DBAs several times daily. This occurs on brand-new, clean builds of Windows Server 2012 R2 Enterprise with all updates applied, using SQL Server 2012 SP1 with and without CU8. These are all brand new machines and VMs, but the problem did also occur in our old data center on our older hardware. Extremely frustrating.

The trigger, for us, appears to be us connecting via RDP. When we connect from machines with different monitor resolutions, the SSMS window (left Maximized in the previous RDP session) needs to re-size to fill the new screen (whether smaller or larger). We're pretty sure this is the trigger in our case, and seems to jive with the PaintGrid error below. If we leave the SSMS window NOT maximized and small enough that it never needs to be resized when we connect via RDP at a different resolution, we rarely have a crash. When we leave the Window maximized, it crashes on almost every RDP connection (less frequently when connecting from the same machine at the same resolution, but almost every time when we connect using a resolution that differs from the last RDP session). No other app seems to suffer from this, just RDP. This happens for half a dozen user accounts, NEW test domain and local Windows accounts, and regardless of which RDP client/machine we're using (I primarily use a Mac running either Cord or the new MS Remote Desktop).

Please help!

Here are the two errors we see:

Faulting application name: Ssms.exe, version: 2011.110.3000.0, time stamp: 0x5081c1cd
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.16496, time stamp: 0x52b3e015
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x00012eec
Faulting process id: 0x2c0c
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf2f4b758e958e
Faulting application path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Ssms.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 095d77f4-9b67-11e3-80c3-18a90564b9aa
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Application: Ssms.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.InvalidOperationException
Stack:
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridControl.PaintGrid(System.Drawing.Graphics)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridControl.OnPaint(System.Windows.Forms.PaintEventArgs)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(System.Windows.Forms.PaintEventArgs, Int16)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridControl.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG ByRef)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr, Int32, Int32)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.RunDialog(System.Windows.Forms.Form)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(System.Windows.Forms.IWin32Window)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog()
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
Posted by Anil Pillai on 1/27/2014 at 9:52 AM
I just had the same issue happen twice - while creating an agent job. The exact point of the crash is after I enter the server location for the SSIS Catalog, and after I had clicked the [...] button to locate the SSIS package.

Application: Ssms.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 59C35357

Faulting application name: Ssms.exe, version: 2011.110.3352.0, time stamp: 0x51665bb2
Faulting module name: dbgtrace.dll_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4f18f0c6
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x59c32b09
Faulting process id: 0x3abc
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf178df3e013ac
Faulting module path: dbgtrace.dll
Report Id: 9d3e7224-8777-11e3-b5a4-18a9055ad3b6

Second time:
Application: Ssms.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 54A95357

Faulting module name: msdtcuiu.DLL, version: 2001.12.8530.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bda84
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00015357
Faulting process id: 0x23c4
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf1b84648b68fa
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\msdtcuiu.DLL
Report Id: cee816e1-8777-11e3-b5a4-18a9055ad3b6

And I tried a third time, without a reboot of the server: still the same result.

With the reboot, it cleared out. And I was able to choose the SSIS package. If this was a production server, I would have been in some trouble.
Posted by MuditGupta on 1/8/2014 at 9:12 AM
I also encountered the SSMS crash. Here's the details from event log:

Faulting application name: Ssms.exe, version: 2011.110.2100.60, time stamp: 0x4f35e2d9
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x75634f0d
Faulting process id: 0x1db4
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf0aec2c47cd03
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Ssms.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 3bfd4341-77cc-11e3-9145-b8ca3aab85c6
Posted by lkh on 10/22/2013 at 7:48 PM
I have 2012 sp1 and I have the same crash issues. There seems to be a correlation between the length of time SSMS is left open and the likely hood of a crash. It also tends to hang more by far when drilling down in Object Explorer than 2008 R2 or any other earlier version. The server has 64 cpu, 256 GB RAM and is never overloaded.

Posted by KEASSNOW on 7/24/2013 at 7:51 AM
I don't even have to click. Leaving the Management studio up overnight for a few days will do it. I've left SQL 2008RS MS up as well. 2012 will have restarted and 2008R2 will still be running. This is without running queiries, I'm just leaving several tabs up. Since it often crashes overnight, I'm not convinces that ANY user action is necessary. I've tried disabling the AutoRecover features, but one thing you can't stop is the AutoSave. This is the only thing I can imaging running overnight. I've upgraded to SP1 with the same behavior. Frankly, I'm going back to 2008R2 unless I HAVE to use 2012 for something. I hope it gets fixed by 2014.
Posted by xyvyx on 6/3/2013 at 3:21 PM
I'm having similar issues... I've had a couple ssms.exe crashes with 2012 SP1, but this rarely/ever happened with SQL Server 2008 R2. In my case today, I was simply switching between query tabs... no queries were actively running. I left my machine open/running from several days before where I possibly had some large result sets open. I've since enabled these crashdump options, so hopefully I can get something useful.

I get quite a few "graphical glitches" with SSMS, so I sorta assumed it was related. ie: if I drag the interface from one monitor to another, the menu bar becomes corrupted with the black background showing through. Resizing the window fixes it.

I have many other development apps installed on this workstation, including VS 2008 and VS 2010, SQL 2008 which I upgraded to R2, then a seperate install of the 2012 tools. I think I have at least one version of SQL express running. The fact this happens with fresh/clean installs, however, will hopefully limit the finger pointing...
Posted by Microsoft on 5/10/2013 at 12:45 PM
Hello Fluxify. Thank you for reporting this problem to us. However, we have been unable to reproduce the behavior locally using SSMS 2012 RTM. We will be closing the issue as a “no repro.” If we are provided with a crash dump from such an error, we may be able to further continue our investigation. -Walter A Jokiel, Program Manager, SQL Server (wajokiel@microsoft.com)
Posted by Mike C1 on 4/8/2013 at 10:32 AM
Right clicking objects like tables and stored procedures does it, though not always and not the only time SSMS crashes.

This was after an uninstall and reinstall of SSMS only.

Machine is a newly built with a fresh install of Windows 7 64 and SQL Server standard edition 2012 SP1. Visual Studio 2012 is installed. All OS/software updates are current.

It's to the point that is doing it often enough so as to become unusable from a practical standpoint..
Posted by Microsoft on 4/1/2013 at 9:44 AM
Also for those of you having issues with long-running queries and/or Out of Memory exceptions : the descriptions provided sound like those issues are related to the one described in http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/765985/system-outofmeoryexception-was-thrown.

As such please keep an eye on that ticket for updates related to memory issues, this ticket will be focused on the other crashes occuring.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/1/2013 at 9:15 AM
Hello All,

First off for those of you having issues please uninstall and then reinstall SSMS (just SSMS, you don't need to uninstall anything else). Often times these issues are because of bad installations and so a reinstall could help.

If that still doesn't help, in order to investigate this issue we'll need process dumps generated when SSMS crashes. Please follow the steps outlined by Walter below and attach the generated dump file to the post or contact one of us and we'll guide you through getting it to us.

Thanks,
Charles Gagnon (chgagnon@microsoft.com)
Posted by HelpMeMSConnect on 3/22/2013 at 8:33 AM
Perhaps related to Visual Studio 10 being installed?

Faulting module name: msenv.dll, version: 10.0.40219.1, time stamp: 0x4d5f2d48
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x005b72b9
Faulting process id: 0x1280
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce27082fbbaa50
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Ssms.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\msenv.dll
Report Id: 1b4be5b0-9302-11e2-a78e-2c4138a12455
Posted by Shane Hancock on 3/19/2013 at 9:15 PM
I've been having crash problems a lot also. For me, it happens regularly when i've got multiple tabs open, each with a long running execution of a stored proc that returns a lot of results. It seems that eventually (after about 5 minutes) SSMS simply can't handle the amount of results been returned in all of the tabs, causing the crash.

Just prior to the crash, if I try to do anything in SSMS like switch tabs, open another tab or hide/show results pane, the UI is extremely sluggish to respond. About a minute or so later it crashes. This seems to be pretty consistent for me, so I can't see how it would be difficult to reproduce. It's becoming almost unusable as I really need to test concurrent execution of my long running stored procs via SSMS, but can't due to these crashes.

I'm on SQL Server 2012 (SP1 v11.0.3128.0)
Posted by WoodsBG on 3/7/2013 at 7:42 AM
Having the same issue. In my case I am running a very long query that I am attempting to tune. originally upon running, I received the out of memory error. Change from grid to text output, now I don't get the memory issue, I just get a crash. I originally saw this quite frequently prior to install SP1; but now I don't see it as often. However in this case it is quite annoying as I cannot tune long running queries if this happens. I am running on a virtual box with Windows 2008R2 installed. As I mentioned I do have SP1 installed. My box is also running not only SQL Server 2012 but 2008R2 and 2005. The other two management studios have no issues.
Posted by gainaco on 2/28/2013 at 1:00 AM
Hi guys, I am also having similar problems here. Management studio crashes randomly especially when I select a database from the database drop down. I have install SP1 but its still happening. I am running on Windows 8 pro x64.
Thanks
Posted by Fluxify on 2/28/2013 at 12:06 AM
Hey Guys,

Thank you for very much for the feedback - it is much appreciated. I've got SQL Server 2008 R2 (Express and Data Center) and 2012 (Enterprise) installed on my computer (Windows 8 Pro WMC). At the time of experiencing this issue I had only the base versions of the above SQL instances installed. I obtained and installed SP1 and SP2 for SQL Server 2008 R2, and installed SP1 for SQL Server 2012. After these installations, I'm no longer experiencing the crash in the application. The only issue I do have now is that when I connect to SQL Server 2008 R2 Express from SSMS 2012, it takes extremely long to open the Tables tree as well as expanding the Database objects initially. After that it seems to be working as it should. My 2008 R2 Data Center and 2012 Enterprise instances don't have this issue, but it's not stopping me from completing my work.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/21/2013 at 9:03 AM
Hello everyone. Thanks again for reporting the issue. We are unable to reproduce the problem locally. Please provide us with a user dump by following the instructions here:

It should help us figure out what’s wrong. If the dump file is exorbitant in size (please note the recommended limit of file uploads below), please change the value of “DumpType” to 0x00000001 (1). This will create a mini-dump which we'll be able to pass around more easily. Either way, be sure to enable these settings immediately, as they need to be in place prior to a problem taking place in order to generate a crash dump. If anything goes wrong or you have any questions, don't hesitate to let us know.

Appreciated,
-Walter A Jokiel
Program Manager, SQL Server
Posted by Microsoft on 2/13/2013 at 1:09 PM
Hello Fluxify,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We really do appreciate the feedback. We’ll investigate and get back to you. Thank you also vadimooo and HorseFly for your input.

Appreciated,
-Walter A Jokiel
Program Manager, SQL Server
Posted by vadimooo on 2/8/2013 at 8:26 AM
I started to experience this issue after installing SP1. SSMS crashes very frequently which makes it completely unusable.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Posted by HorseFly on 1/29/2013 at 12:09 PM
And another error that has the same timestamp:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name=".NET Runtime" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1026</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-01-29T19:52:10.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>7573</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Sypher3.sypher.local</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>Application: Ssms.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.FailedOperationException Stack: at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Server.GetSmoObject(Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.Urn) at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlManagerUI.StartAgentJobs.GenerateActions() at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlManagerUI.AgentAction.OnLoad(System.EventArgs) at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl() at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl() at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef) at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef) at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef) at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef) at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef) at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef) at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef) at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr) at System.Windows.Forms.SafeNativeMethods.ShowWindow(System.Runtime.InteropServices.HandleRef, Int32) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.SetVisibleCore(Boolean) at System.Windows.Forms.Form.SetVisibleCore(Boolean) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Visible(Boolean) at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext) at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext) at System.Windows.Forms.Application.RunDialog(System.Windows.Forms.Form) at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(System.Windows.Forms.IWin32Window) at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog() at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlMgmt.RunningFormsTable+RunningFormsTableImpl+ThreadStarter.StartThread() at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(System.Object) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object) at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
Posted by HorseFly on 1/29/2013 at 12:07 PM
Here is our error report from event viewer:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<Data>6.2.9200.16451</Data>
<Data>50988950</Data>
<Data>c000041d</Data>
<Data>00014b32</Data>
<Data>df0</Data>
<Data>01cdfd9304b8cc23</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Ssms.exe</Data>
<Data>C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
<Data>5fd08eca-6a4d-11e2-93f2-003048311f01</Data>
<Data />
<Data />
</EventData>
</Event>
Posted by HorseFly on 1/29/2013 at 12:05 PM
We have SP1 installed and have the same issues.
Posted by HorseFly on 1/29/2013 at 12:04 PM
I have SP1 installed and have the same issue. It is crashing 2+ times per day mostly on expansion of items or if I right click to execute a job or delete a publication. Yesterday it froze expanding the Jobs segment of the tree and then it crashed. There are not many items on it yet as we just installed it and have been playing with replication with a sample database.
Posted by Sethu Srinivasan on 11/14/2012 at 8:49 AM
Please upgrade to SQL 2012 SP1 and lets us know if you still see this issue in SSMS

You can download SQL 2012 SP1 from