SQL Server Management Studio 2012/2014 crashes when closing by Christopher Haws

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 12/13/2012 6:00:13 PM

SQL Server Management Studio 2012 and 2014 seems to crash more times then not after I click the X button to close the application which causes the application to be reopened automatically.
Posted by Anil Pillai on 7/1/2014 at 2:52 PM
So - you closed it without posting a resolution? Your workaround is not a workaround. The issue persists.
Posted by Anil Pillai on 6/17/2014 at 2:20 PM
What does it take for MS to fix this huge issue for a lot of people? Still on going for me sporadically - after many months of not seeing it. On a server, that too.
Posted by CodeBob on 6/12/2014 at 7:23 AM
Is this actually going to get fixed? If anything it is worse now that it was when the claimed fix was posted in August of last year. On our team of 10 developers, it happens to all of us > 80% of the time we close SSMS. And this behavior continues in SSMS 2014.
Posted by Christopher Haws on 5/22/2014 at 2:24 PM
I also still have this issue after installing SQL Management Studio 2014 RTM.
Posted by zacuke on 5/22/2014 at 2:18 PM
I rescind my previous statement, the problem did go away for a couple hours after installing the CU, but it came right back later in the day. Microsoft, this is not fixed. I was experiencing the issue with SSMS 2014 as well, but that is from memory. I have since uninstalled 2014 due to other crashing issues. I am on Windows 8.1 Update, fully updated via Windows Update.
Posted by zacuke on 5/22/2014 at 12:30 PM
I had this issue too on SP1, but after I installed CU 10 it went away http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2954099/en-u
Posted by SparklehorsePinnochio on 5/12/2014 at 9:16 AM
I am also struggling with this issue. Every time I close SSMS 2012 it restarts itself. For no reason.
Posted by Lehel Kajtár on 5/10/2014 at 3:00 PM
I updated my SQL Server 2012 to 2014. SSMS 2014 often crash when I close it.
Posted by TheBalance on 3/20/2014 at 12:59 AM
Me too, SSMS 2012 SP1 on Windows 7, everytime I close the product, hibernate shields me a little from having to close but then on wake up SSMS sometimes keels over of its own accord.
Posted by djb77v on 2/19/2014 at 6:14 AM
Just want to make a note that I installed SQL Server 2012 SP 1 Cumulative Update #8, and it still crashes upon exiting SSMS. Sad times. Very sad times.
Posted by Samuel Leslie on 1/13/2014 at 2:24 PM
As earlier posters have mentioned, it's great that there's a fix, but some details on when/how it will be made available would be appreciated. I've checked the available Cumulative Updates for SQL Server 2012 SP1 as of the time of writing and they don't appear to include anything related to this bug. Will this bug be resolved in a future Cumulative Update for SQL Server 2012 SP1? If so, is there any timeline for its release?
Posted by JamieJohnson on 1/8/2014 at 9:00 PM
Same issue, very annoying:

Faulting application name: Ssms.exe, version: 2011.110.3000.0, time stamp: 0x5081c1cd
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.16408, time stamp: 0x523d4548
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x00012eec
Faulting process id: 0x20b4
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf0cd0cbcea217
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Ssms.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 64370af2-78ea-11e3-beee-6431509a633c
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Posted by ErnestoMawan on 11/28/2013 at 1:41 AM
knowing that it was fixed is nice, not knowing how to apply the fix is not nice. And it shows very much the limitations of the connect portal. (associate a reported bug with a a fix would be sooo nice in 2013 :))
Posted by MDominik13 on 10/1/2013 at 12:22 PM
Agreed - it's driving me nuts. Can we get an ETA? Or how about a hotfix?
Posted by swh1 on 9/12/2013 at 7:33 AM
This is hugely frustrating - can you give a release date for the patch please?
Posted by Microsoft on 8/20/2013 at 9:17 AM
Hello All. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. This has been fixed. The change will be included in a future release or servicing release for SQL Server.

-Walter A Jokiel, Program Manager, SQL Server (wajokiel@microsoft.com)
Posted by MJ Hufford on 8/19/2013 at 9:52 AM
I can reproduce this as well. SQL 2012, Windows 8, RedGate SQL Prompt
Posted by Jeremy at Terryberry on 8/12/2013 at 6:55 PM
I have the exact same setup and issue as Capozzoli's comment

>I get this every time I close Management Studio 2012 after i have used it for any task. It crashes when using the "x" to close, then restarts. Then it closes fine.

I am running Management Studio 2012 on Windows 8 Pro
Posted by xyvyx on 8/6/2013 at 1:39 PM
getting this behavior, along with other crashes noted here:

I've submitted a few crashdump files to Walter. I re-installed SSMS, but it crashed again today... THEN it re-opened itself (twice, the 1st time it recovered only ONE of the ~10 files I had open. Then when I closed the app, it didn't throw another exception, just re-launched itself).

Today, however, I found some Red Gate specific errors located in the following folder that point to problems with RedGate.SIPFramework. I've removed the one SQL Prompt add-in & un-installed several other Red Gate tools (but left SQL Compare and some of the core ones intact)
C:\Users\[MY USERID]\AppData\Local\Red Gate\Logs\Ssms

The other crashing has been reported on "bone stock" SSMS installs and I don't know if Red Gate's tools were used with any of them, but that might be a common thread.
Posted by David Cummings (70d) on 8/1/2013 at 1:42 PM
Any updates or workarounds? Can someone from Microsoft provide an email address that is monitored in which we can send more dumps to in an effort to be able to expedite a fix?
Posted by ZeroSVT on 7/30/2013 at 11:28 AM
I'm also experiencing this issue. Its like i have to wage a small battle trying to close out SSMS. :)

I have dumps i can provide. Just need to know where to send them.

Thanks.
Posted by djb77v on 7/18/2013 at 2:21 PM
Bump. This is getting really annoying. Good thing I rarely close SSMS !
Posted by Figgaro on 7/18/2013 at 12:08 AM
I'v this error

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16451, time stamp: 0x50988950
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x00014b32
Faulting process id: 0xf04
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce8371cd434247
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 37cfbdf5-ef65-11e2-9408-80c16e67e357
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Application: Ssms.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0020001, exception address 752E4B32
Stack:
Posted by David Samson on 6/29/2013 at 12:48 PM
I experience this most of the time I close SSMS 2012 SP1 on Windows 7 64-bit. No Red Gate tools or TFS.
Posted by Aaron Christneson on 6/21/2013 at 2:08 PM
How do you get a crash dump file from Windows 8? I also experience this everyday that I close SSMS.
Posted by Ichthys Co. _ on 6/19/2013 at 12:26 PM
PS: 64 bit Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (used as workstation). 6 GB Ram, Quad Core Intel Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz, 256 GB SSD Primary HD.
Posted by Ichthys Co. _ on 6/19/2013 at 12:23 PM
This has been happening for me too. Everyday, when I close SSMS 2012, it crashes. Sometimes it doesn't when I close all query editor windows first. Just now it crashed after I closed the last of three open query editor windows. The explorer detail window was also still open.
Posted by Newfangled Old-fashioned Stuff on 6/18/2013 at 8:52 AM
I get this all the time:
SSMS 11.0.3339 AND SSMS 11.0.3368, at least.
Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 (build 7601), 16GB RAM
NO Red Gate tools installed
NO TFS integration being used
Visual Studio 2012 installed (not in use)

Most commonly, I "first after a reboot" get a crash/hang/stall (greyed window) when closing/disconnecting. When disconnecting from a database in the Object Explorer, often the entire menu (Connect, Disconnect, Register... Reports, Refresh, Properties) stays ungreyed, and is perpetually visible while the main SSMS window is greyed out. Switching to other windows, SSMS or now, _still_ has the Object Explorer menu as an overlay, blocking part of the screen.

Once this happens, it happens in more and more situations (using object explorer in SSMS, even the very first time after connecting to a database instance), until another reboot, and wait for it to happen again.

Description:
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
Additional Hang Signature 2:    df86
Additional Hang Signature 3:    df8611ba793bf9ca5ca817eadeeeb9ad
Additional Hang Signature 4:    a30e
Additional Hang Signature 5:    a30e330c0ab563e0e44603ff92f9f8d3
Additional Hang Signature 6:    df86
Additional Hang Signature 7:    df8611ba793bf9ca5ca817eadeeeb9ad

Read our privacy statement online:

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
Posted by Brian Shurley (Slalom) on 5/31/2013 at 7:35 AM
I have the RedGate SQL Prompt Pro software installed as well. Is this a common thread among all of us?
Posted by tu.x on 5/27/2013 at 1:10 PM
Microsoft guys still cannot reproduce this issue?

You can install sql server 2012 in windows 8 (install Visual Studio 2012 first) and using SSMS to query something, then click (x) button of SSMS (with or without save opening queries), and after SSMS is closed, a popup showed: "sql management studio is restarting", then SSMS is automatic re-opened.

If SSMS is opened and we do not make any query, this issues does not appear.
Posted by Microsoft on 5/23/2013 at 3:45 PM
Hello all,

We're working on fixing the causes we know about, but a crash can be caused by many different things.

In order to make sure we catch all the cases we need crash dumps to analyze, so if you're experiencing this issue (especially on a regular basis) please follow the instructions listed below by Walter and then contact one of us to get the crash dumps uploaded.

Thanks,
Charles Gagnon (chgagnon@microsoft.com)
Posted by Joe Sweeney on 5/17/2013 at 4:12 PM
This happens to me two to three times a week. SSMS 2012, Win7 32 bit on a 64 bit processor. At times I don't even have any query windows open.
Posted by David Cummings (70d) on 5/3/2013 at 6:19 AM
This also happens to me everyday. Win 8 pro 64-bit. SSMS 2012. When I close by clicking on the X it seems to crash and says: 'sql management studio is restarting'.
Posted by ItsTheRide on 4/24/2013 at 8:00 AM
Sorry, this is in a WIN 7 Pro 64 bit environment.
Posted by ItsTheRide on 4/24/2013 at 7:59 AM
This happens to me under similar situations. One BIG difference is that it only happens when working in a database solution that is integrated with TFS 2010. Create a new query in the solution, run it, close and don't save it. BOOM! and SSMS restarts. Close the solution and create a new query and do the exact same steps and no BOOM!! So it happens to me ONLY when TFS is involved.

Any updates on this??
Posted by tu.x on 4/23/2013 at 5:15 AM
This issue is occurred only in Windows 8, and the only workaround is downgrading to Windows 7?
Posted by Kris Hokanson on 4/22/2013 at 12:46 PM
This happens to me all the time as well. I don't have Redgate software on my machine but I do have SQL Server 2008 R2 and 2012 installed concurrently as well as the complete Visual Studio 2008 & 2010 suites.

Not only does SSMS 2012 crash when I close it but it seemed to crash several times a week while I was just switching between tabs. That issue seemed to subside somewhat once I closed the details tab but it has happened once or twice since.
Posted by donaldvc on 4/19/2013 at 2:11 AM
Any progress with this - it would be good to know if this is likely to be fixed in the near or distant future. Thanks.
Posted by tu.x on 4/16/2013 at 11:28 PM
I got this issue every time use SSMS to run any sql query in Windows 8 Pro x64 (SSMS version 2008 & 2012).
Posted by Microsoft on 4/16/2013 at 4:37 PM
DaniSQL - can you e-mail Walter (wajokiel@microsoft.com) and he'll work you through the steps to get that dump uploaded.

Thanks,
Charles Gagnon (chgagnon@microsoft.com)
Posted by Zefir on 4/12/2013 at 8:13 AM
I realized that this happens also for Visual Studio 2010 for Windows 8 - but rarer
Posted by DaniSQL on 4/11/2013 at 7:23 AM
This has been annoying for months. I have a crush dump now. Where do I upload it?
Posted by Zefir on 4/11/2013 at 7:18 AM
It happens for me every day on Windows 8.

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<Data>e6db0e7c-a287-11e2-be83-848f69a839c9</Data>
<Data />
<Data />
</EventData>
</Event>
Posted by Donald Kolenda on 4/3/2013 at 2:22 PM
It happens to me as well. It started after I installed SQL Server 2012. It happens both on Windows 7 and Windows 8. It occurs approximately 70% of the time.
Posted by j-m-b on 3/24/2013 at 10:22 AM
I was able to reproduce this on Windows 8 Pro: Open SSMS with the Object Explorer Details view open, click "new query", execute a query (for example change db context), click X to close, click "No" to save. I must execute the query--not just make changes-- and have the object explorer details tab open while I close, otherwise closes fine.
Posted by Alberto Morillo on 3/15/2013 at 4:38 AM
Hello,

A user is experiencing similar issue on the following thread:

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
SQLCoffee.com
Posted by Ulrich Kr on 3/13/2013 at 7:17 AM
This happens to me all the time using SSMS 2012 as well as SSMS2008 working on Windows 8 Enterprise. Very annoying!
Posted by jnw317 on 3/10/2013 at 9:22 PM
This seems to happen to me when I have multiple unsaved queries which have disconnected after timing out or the pc sleeping etc. Opening multiple queries and forcing disconnect doesn't seem to force the issue. This is happening to me on Win 8 Pro 64. I have full and mini WER .dmp files from this if they will be useful.
Posted by Jose Rolando Guay Paz on 3/5/2013 at 1:34 PM
I have identified a pattern on when this occurs. If you have two or more open queries that are not saved, when you click the X to close it will prompt you to save, you click No, then the crash happens. When doing this it crashes to me all the time. If I close first the queries (saving or not) and then hit the X, then it closes normally.
Posted by donaldvc on 2/28/2013 at 7:54 AM
I am experiencing the same problem on Windows 8 Pro - 4 times so far this month. There is no obvious correlation with other running services or applications, but I will modify the registry to collect a user-mode dump next time this occurs.
Posted by EricMao on 2/25/2013 at 11:32 AM
I have this problem almost every time on Windows 7.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/18/2013 at 2:05 PM
Hello Christopher. Thanks for reporting the issue. We are unable to reproduce the problem locally. Please provide us with a user dump by following the instructions here:

It should help us figure out what’s wrong. If the dump file is exorbitant in size (please note the recommended limit of file uploads below), please change the value of “DumpType” to 0x00000001 (1). This will create a mini-dump which we'll be able to pass around more easily. Either way, be sure to enable these settings immediately, as they need to be in place prior to a problem taking place in order to generate a crash dump. If anything goes wrong or you have any questions, don't hesitate to let us know.

Appreciated,
-Walter A Jokiel
Program Manager, SQL Server
Posted by abaum on 2/10/2013 at 11:59 AM
I also experience this problem, but only after I've resumed my system from Sleep. Otherwise I can open and close SSMS 2012 many times without issue. But that first time after I resume my system from sleep.. bam.
Posted by Capozzoli on 2/4/2013 at 4:33 PM

I am running Management Studio 2012 on Windows 8 Pro
Posted by kusman on 1/28/2013 at 12:09 PM
Occurs for me on a regular basis. Not every time, but can't really figure out why. Can anyone from MS confirm what we can look at or what we can do to catch dumps for this?
Posted by Julie Lerman on 1/26/2013 at 9:49 AM
I'm having this problem also but based on event logs, I suspect that it's related to Red Gate tools. Will look on their website for info.
Posted by JohanStromhielm on 1/24/2013 at 4:15 AM
This occurs for me as well. Upon an normal Close, the "SQL Server Management Studio is restarting..." message appears and the Environment restarts. This seems to happen more often when I have let the Studio sit for a prolonged period of time.
Posted by zacuke on 5/22/2014 at 12:30 PM