Home Dashboard Directory Help
Search

SSRS 2012: Excel invalid file on ipad/safari/.... by Cohen


Status: 

Active


17
0
Sign in
to vote
Type: Bug
ID: 774678
Opened: 12/18/2012 12:48:53 PM
Access Restriction: Public
1
Workaround(s)
view
7
User(s) can reproduce this bug

Description

An excel report from reporting services with Sql Server 2012 is unable to open on ipad (in safari) and or any office application availlable for ipad.

When we open and save the file in excel all the programs on ipad have no problem in opening them.

After looking at the differences in the xlsx-xml files between the file generated by reporting server and the excel file from Excel the following differences are the cause:
- in [Content_Types].xml an override element to workbook.xml is missing
- the contentType for xml extensions should be: application/xml

Additional Excel saves it's path's relative while SSRS uses an absolute path's.

Why not render the files the same as Excel?
Details
Sign in to post a comment.
Posted by Bluey47 on 2/27/2014 at 8:00 PM
Still happens in SSRS 2012 SP1. iPhone/IPAD can’t open any SSRS xls or xlsx exported report. Very annoying.
Posted by ptrubs on 11/13/2013 at 1:24 PM
This is the same issue as https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/598564/2008r2-excel-unable-to-be-opened-in-pda-or-iphone

(so go and vote on both!)
Posted by ShashankJain on 9/25/2013 at 9:56 PM
@ Cohenl : if you solved it please give us your solution, we need it very urgent,
if any other have any solution please share with us...
Thanks in advance but it is very disruptive to us....
Posted by PGovind on 5/8/2013 at 10:15 PM
@Cohen - Could you please explain more about "transforming the Xml inside of the xlsx file"?
Posted by smithtm on 3/28/2013 at 2:15 PM
@Cohen - can you explain the process of "transforming the Xml"?
Posted by Cohen on 1/11/2013 at 9:14 AM
@Greg, we solved it by transforming the Xml inside of the xlsx file. We still have one issue with images. Overall it looks fine. If you're interested, let me know.
Posted by Greg E on 1/7/2013 at 10:51 AM
This is very disruptive to all my business users, as it did work not too long ago.
Applies to SSRS 2008 R2 also. I have been testing on 2012 to see if that would work better.
Sign in to post a workaround.
Posted by Greg E on 1/7/2013 at 10:51 AM
The only workaround I have found so far is to send to a file location, then open in Excel, then send as attachment to original intended recipient.
Using Data Driven Subscriptions, with reports being generated and customized per recipient, this gets unmanagable in a hurry.
If I have 100 subscribers to the same report, and they have different parameters (say Sales Office), I would have to generate possibly 100 unique reports to save, open and save, then correctly email out.

This used to work, it would be nice to have Apple and Microsoft work together and get this working again.
Very disruptive to any business - it seems like it may have been tied to some update.