1. Open SQL Server Management Studio.
2. Connect to a SQL Server 2012 instance with AdventureWorksDW2012 database ready to use.
3. Right click on the AdventureWorksDW2012 database and choose Tasks > Import Data
4. Click Next and provide SQL Server 2012 database connection that is the same database, i.e. AdventureWorksDW2012. (i.e our source and target are the same database). Click Next
5. Click Next to accept that the database target is the same as the source target.
6. Choose "Write a query to specify the data to transfer" in the Specify Table Copy or Query section.
7. Type in the following statement, then Click Next.
8. Click Edit Mappings on "Select Source Tables and Views". Here you will see Type = 202 instead of NVARCHAR.
See attached screenshot "SSMS_ImportExportWizard_ColumnMappings_TypeIssue.png"
Continuing the steps to reproduce, here are the actual results:
9. Click OK and Click Next to advance to the "Review Data Mapping" section where an error / warning that looks similar to the following is shown:
Found 14 unknown column type conversion(s)
You are only allowed to save the package
See attached screenshot "SSMS_ImportExportWizard_ReviewDataTypeMapping_Error"
10. Continuing the wizard by saving it as an SSIS package will save the erroneous data type (200 / 202). See attached screenshot "SSIS_SavedFromImportExportWizard"
VARCHAR columns are recognized as Type 200
NVARCHAR columns are recognized as Type 202
The Import and Export wizard does not let you to continue running the transfer. You can only save the SSIS package.