MDS - Deployment error with default setup by AndrewTuerk

Active

Opened: 1/10/2013 8:36:59 PM

Using a default installation of MDS, when trying to deploy a package it fails with error "value cannot be null", "parameter name: package". Check the system log. Not only is this error vague as to which system log to check (I still haven't figured that out), but it is also vague as to what needs to happen to resolve the issue. As it turns out, I added a "name" attribute to the "package" element in the xml and it resolved the issue. However, modifying the xml isn't a very good way forward.
Posted by Anton Gramatkin on 11/1/2013 at 6:44 AM
I got this error too.
Problem was solved by giving full permisions on C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Master Data Services\WebApplication\WEB.CONFIG to the User deploying PKG file.
Posted by Anton Mesnyankin on 10/25/2013 at 5:38 AM
Hi,

May be info bellow can be usefull to find a reason of issue.
We also had this error:
---
An error occurred loading a configuration file: Access to the path 'c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Master Data Services\WebApplication\web.config' is denied. (c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Master Data Services\WebApplication\web.config)
---
In our situation MSD was installed by another user (user 'A') and this user can deploy package by command line, but other user ('B') couldn't do that (both users are in the Local Admin group).
When I'm trying to see security permissions of Web.config I'm getting info that 'I must have Read permissions to view the properties of this object' also I saw that object owner was unknown. (I'm in Local Admin group too, and this group 'has full access' to Web.config file with valid object's owner).
We could solve this issue by changing owner of Web.config and create direct ACL for user 'B'. Both action was required.

I hope it was a usefull comment. Sorry for my english.
Posted by BJohhnyB on 5/24/2013 at 3:41 AM
While deploying the package use only ie, and compatibility mode(!). Does that work?
Posted by Daniel Dittenhafer on 5/13/2013 at 5:26 AM
I waited the 15 minutes suggested by CraigD_ATL, but still received the error during MDM Package Deploy Wizard. Tried the MDSModelDeploy cmd line and received a different, more detailed error:

MDSModelDeploy operation failed. Elapsed time: 00:00:03.8091465
Error:
The web configuration file for the Master Data Services instance cannot be loaded.

MDS_ServiceAccounts has read access to web.config, as well as local Administrators (Full Control). I am in local Admin group, but wasn't able to open the file in Notepad for some reason (Access denied error in Notepad) so I explicitly added my account with Read access to web.config and successfully opened in Notepad. Then I went back to the MDM Model Deployment Wizard and tried again with the package deploy -> and it succeeded!

By the way, my SQL Server 2012 SP1 was a clean install (after an uninstall of SQL 2008). Default instance. Package file was created on same instance, same version.
Posted by Daniel Dittenhafer on 5/13/2013 at 4:38 AM
I have received this error also - Some details: SQL 2012 SP1 Dev Edition on Win 7 Pro. I am studying for 70-463 exam and following the steps from the Microsoft training kit book by Sarka, Lah, Jerkic, Chapter 16 Exercise 1 on pages 610-611. I received the error after step 17. This exercise is similar to CraigD_ATLs process -> export a mode, delete the model, then import the model from the package.

Currently waiting the 15 minutes that CraigD_ATL suggested and hoping it is a successful workaround.
Posted by CraigD_ATL on 4/2/2013 at 1:27 PM
I think I spoke too soon. Scratch my previous comment. It actually seems to be a timing (garbage collection?) issue. If I decide to delete a model and then deploy a package that contains a model with the same name I get this error. I have to wait approximately 15 minutes before I can deploy the package.
Posted by CraigD_ATL on 4/2/2013 at 12:24 PM
I ran into this error today. The problem went away after I closed the MDS interface and started fresh. I believe that I had another instance (explorer tab) open for adding members to a test model. I had since deleted this test model in another explorer tab (unaware that the other tab was open). When I tried to deploy the official package (with the same name and contents as the test model) I received the discussed error. Not going to lie. I was in panic mode for a few moments...
Posted by Microsoft on 3/22/2013 at 9:27 AM
Thanks to Andrew for helping us with the pkg file. Unfortunately, we are unable to reproduce the error. Adam, would you be willing to send us your pkg file as well?
Posted by Microsoft on 3/13/2013 at 11:52 AM
The info I have was that this is on SQL Server 2012. Can any of you answer:
- Was it a clean install or an upgrade from an earlier version?
- Do you have SP1 installed?
- Was the pkg file created on the same version you are trying to deploy to?
- Can you send the command line args you are using?
Thanks very much for working with us - we appreciate your time!
Posted by AdamP108 on 3/12/2013 at 12:02 PM
Actually even adding the name="test' in the first tag doesn't help me. Help very much appreciated!! Trying to get MDS to be installed by fairly large corporation, and this could be a deal breaker.
Posted by AdamP108 on 3/12/2013 at 11:57 AM
I'm having the same issue.

Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: package

For a Newly Created package from one MDS server (local default) to another.

Andrew, any way you could post the XML change you made?
Posted by AndrewTuerk on 2/8/2013 at 2:02 PM
My apologies for the delay, please find attached an original and an edited pkg file.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/22/2013 at 10:36 AM
Hi Andrew,
We are not able to repro this error. Would it be possible for you to send us your pkg file?
thanks,