SSMS 2012 can create corrupt 2005 maintenance plans by Greg Low - Australia

Opened: 3/19/2013 4:50:34 PM

SSMS in 2012 can edit maintenance plans for 2005 servers, however it's easy to corrupt those plans so that they no longer work. (Curiously the editing of 2000 plans seems to work ok :-))
Posted by Microsoft on 5/15/2013 at 9:09 AM
Hello Greg. It appears that by upgrading to 2005 SP2 or later you can fix this problem. We shall thus be closing the item as fixed. Please let us know if this does not work. -Walter A Jokiel, Program Manager, SQL Server (wajokiel@microsoft.com)
Posted by Greg Low - Australia on 3/27/2013 at 11:45 PM
I've also just tried editing a plan with 2008 R2 SSMS build 10.50.4000. The attached screenshot shows the options. Note that even though the server I'm attached to is a 2005 server, the maintenance plan wizard gives me an option to create separate schedules for each step in the plan. However, 2005 tools didn't support that option. I don't think it should be present when the target server can't work with it.
Posted by Greg Low - Australia on 3/27/2013 at 11:41 PM
Hi Walter, I was at a client site using 2012 SP1 SSMS to edit the maintenance plan on a 2005 server that was 9.0.1406. On 2005, there was no option to use separate schedules but even though I was connected to a 2005 server, I still got the option in the wizard to set up different schedules for each step. No errors occurred when saving the plans but the errors occurred when the plans next tried to run. All the job history said was "The package execution failed. The step failed.". No more info was in the job step. And when I tried to edit the maintenance plan with SSMS 2005, it said that the plan was corrupt and couldn't be edited.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/27/2013 at 7:53 AM
Hello Greg. We are having difficulty reproducing this issue. Could you please tell us explicitly which actions resulted in this corruption? The precise versions of all entities involved would also be helpful. -Walter A Jokiel, Program Manager, SQL Server (wajokiel@microsoft.com)
Posted by Microsoft on 3/22/2013 at 1:24 PM
Hello Greg. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We really do appreciate the feedback. We’ll investigate and get back to you. -Walter A Jokiel, Program Manager, SQL Server (wajokiel@microsoft.com)
File Name Submitted By Submitted On File Size