Power View Cross-Filtering by Leonard Murphy

Active

Opened: 4/29/2013 6:59:50 PM

In Power View, if you have a bar/column/map visualization with a hierarchy (such as category, sub-category) along with other charts of any kind.

If you double click on a column to drill from category to sub-category, no cross-filtering happens. This is confusing because the column chart is drilled into the "bikes" category for example, but all the other charts/tables are not filtered by the same category.
Posted by Erik Roll on 7/8/2014 at 4:45 AM
I agree with the original post - the expected behavior when drilling down would be to Cross-Filter all other objects in the View. In addition, when drilling down, the visualization needs some way to indicate what has been drilled into. One suggested method is to populate some type of Bread Crumb feature in the visualization - I think this is a great idea!

It may be assumed that whatever mechanism would be used to retain (and display) the element drilled into, could also function as the source for the cross-filtering behavior.

I have found this behavior, as it exists now, consistently frustrating and confusing to consumers of the product, and when doing head to head comparisons with other BI tools, this type of confusion is all too often something that sways customers away from the solution in general.
Posted by rwb1912 on 5/15/2014 at 3:41 PM
I agree with the comments here. I work for a large consulting firm and consult clients on BI solutions. Currently clients have have full drill down and cross drill behaviour within their solutions and will expect to see similar functionality in Power View.
Posted by mario mastroianno on 11/14/2013 at 3:46 AM
Actual is very innatural behaviour. Unintuitive. Please fix it.
Posted by Mario Mastroianno on 11/12/2013 at 8:04 AM
One question. Anyone know if the issue was yet solved in sql server 2014 CTP2 ?
Posted by Mario Mastroianno on 11/12/2013 at 8:03 AM
In my opinion people "always" expect drilling down also cross-filter other visualizations.
Anyway it will be a good solution to have a "button" to activate or deactivate the cross-filter drill down on the canvas.
Posted by Microsoft on 8/13/2013 at 5:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! It's very helpful.

For more good discussion, see Jason's blog post: http://www.sqljason.com/2013/07/drill-down-behaviour-in-power-view.html?showComment=1376439395118

Riccardo Muti
SQL Server Reporting Services
Posted by Rui Quintino on 7/29/2013 at 7:16 AM
Fully agree with this one:

-as with click in charts, drill down should behave the same way: 1) cross-filter other elements when they're tables/matrixes 2) highlight the filter without filtering for chart elements

adding:

-it should be the same for drill down with matrix, consistency

-it should be a more visual way to indicate drill down is available (underline/link style?)...

Rui
Posted by Jason Tom Thomas on 7/24/2013 at 6:14 PM
Just added a post on this - http://www.sqljason.com/2013/07/drill-down-behaviour-in-power-view.html
Posted by Jason Tom Thomas on 7/23/2013 at 4:29 PM
Agree with Leonard, I just cant think of a scenario where I will not want to crossfilter the rest of my tables when I drill-down. The current behaviour is really unintuitive and my customers are having major issues with power view just because of this! Would really appreciate if there was a way to mitigate this asap.
Posted by DW-Johan on 7/4/2013 at 7:56 AM
I agree with Mr Murphy. If single-clicking cross-filters the intuitive thing is for drilling to cross-filter too.

What I would also want is for the header of the object (e.g. bar chart) I drilled on to show the filter I have added by drilling. E.g. I have a bar chart with years showing 2007, 2008, 2009. I double click on year 2008 the following happens:
1. All other charts are cross-filtered on year = 2008
2. The bar chart i now shows the values for months during 2008
3. The header (or tootip or someting..) of the bar chart includes "Year = 2008"
Posted by Leonard Murphy on 5/5/2013 at 10:56 AM
I cannot think of a situation where I would want to cross-filter when single-clicking but would not want to cross-filter when double-clicking (i.e. drilling down).

I can see a use-case where someone might want a chart to be exempt from cross-filtering altogether (whether drilling down or not) - i.e. a static chart. However, that's not the point of Power View.
Posted by Microsoft on 5/1/2013 at 4:33 PM
Thanks for your feedback. In the current release, by design, drilling down into a category affects only that visualization and doesn't also cross-filter/highlight other visualizations by that category. Furthermore, drilling down in a visualization actually clears any selection that'd cross-filter other visualizations, which means you actually can't cross-filter by a category and drill down into that category at the same time in the same visualization even if you try to do so in two explicit actions.

This is an area where we'd love to collect feedback to consider for future versions. Do people expect drilling down to also cross-filter other visualizations (a) always, or (b) only sometimes? If only sometimes, when would you want drilling down to affect only that visualization and NOT cross-filter or otherwise affect other visualizations on the canvas?

Riccardo Muti