SSMS 2012 hang when trying to reconnect by Alexander Wurzinger

Opened: 4/30/2013 3:23:55 AM

Hi,
I often have the problem that SSMS 2012 freezes if I select a Server in the Object Explorer window, to witch I was/is connected (like to disconnect).
This doesn't happen, If I select a database directly, only when I click on the Server itself.
This also doesn't happen with all servers, and till now I wasn't able to find a common tried of these servers.
These hangs usually take ~20 mins, but it can also go up to a few hours.
These hangs can also make VS/Office or other SSMS instances hang.
I created a memory dump of the last hang I experienced.

Since I can't select it in the OSList:
OS: Windows 8 x64

Similar Reports:
Posted by Alexander Wurzinger on 6/18/2013 at 11:46 PM
Hi,
No it didn't help, it was back by ~07.06., so it was only gone for a short time.
Posted by Microsoft on 5/31/2013 at 9:50 AM
Hello Alexander. This issue is being tracked in a different connect item. Please look for updates here:

Please let us know if you have any questions. If updating to the service pack fixes the problem, please let the good people of the above thread know. -Walter A Jokiel, Program Manager, SQL Server (wajokiel@microsoft.com)
Posted by Alexander Wurzinger on 5/30/2013 at 2:26 AM
I just noticed, on the 29.05., that I had the SQL 2012 SP 1 installed, but not the VS2010 SP1.(Seems SSMS installed VS2012 shell)
So I installed the VS2010 SP1 on the 29.05. in the Morning (I didn’t get a notification via Windows Update, probably because only the Shell is installed)
I didn’t notice any of the problems I had with SSMS 2012 before after that anymore, but since I only used it for ~6 h work, I can’´t say for sure that the Problems are gone.
Since the 30.5. is a Holiday, and I will have to see for a few workdays if this is permanent, I will report back on 07.06 or 10.06, if they are really fixed or not.
Posted by Alexander Wurzinger on 5/13/2013 at 2:26 AM
Another piece of information I just got (happened very similar for me any my college):
This problem only started sometime(weeks/month) after the installation, before that there were no troubles with the very same work process.
Before it worked without any problems, but at some point the problems began.
We tried uninstalling/reinstalling SSMS, whole SQL Server 2012, VS2012, FW4.5 but one of these seems to have made any difference.
Posted by Alexander Wurzinger on 5/13/2013 at 2:18 AM
I just got new information about this, from a college who got the same error before (With Win7 x64):
It only seems to happen if there is a default DB Configurated for the server connection.
So since we removed the Default DB in the registered Servers it didn't happen for my coworker anymore,with the local servers.
But there are some connections where we need to set a default db, so this is only a halfway workaround for us.
Posted by Alexander Wurzinger on 5/13/2013 at 12:59 AM
Hi,
This Time SSMS froze on the first connect, in a second SSMS instance.(The first instance is connected to the same server, but has no troubles)
I checked with VS after creating a Dump, and it hangs in the usually place. (Same as reported in https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/759967/ssms-2012-hang-while-opening-the-database-list-on-a-server-with-slow-connection-vpn#details)
But since I can't upload the Dump with ~150MB to connect I will need a workspace to upload it.
Posted by Microsoft on 5/8/2013 at 2:21 PM
Hello, Alexander. We're having a difficult time reprodcuing this, please follow the instructions below to provide us a process dump. If you're using a 64-bit operating system, perform steps 1-3, then 6-9, below. If your operating system is 32-bit, start at step 4 and continue to 9.

If OS is 64-bit:
1.    Browse to C:\Windows\SysWOW64
2.    Run Taskmgr.exe
3.    <continue to step 6>
If OS is 32-bit:
4.    Run Task Manager as normal (ctrl+shift+esc, start->run, right-click on taskbar, etc)
5.    <continue to step 6>
For everyone:
6.    Locate the SSMS.exe process in the process list
7.    Right click on SSMS.exe and select the “Create Dump File” option
8.    Wait for it to finish (it may take a little while)
9.    When the dialog box appears saying it’s finished go to the location specified and zip up the *.dmp file

Please provide us the zipped file, and we'll get back to you. -Walter A Jokiel, Program Manager, SQL Server (wajokiel@microsoft.com)
Posted by Microsoft on 4/30/2013 at 9:56 AM
Hello Alexander. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We really do appreciate the feedback. We’ll investigate and get back to you. -Walter A Jokiel, Program Manager, SQL Server (wajokiel@microsoft.com)