Cannot create or modify tables in any database ("The parameter is incorrect.") by Hubert Licman

Active

Opened: 7/11/2013 2:30:11 AM

Hello,
my bug is very similar to bug ID 252279.

I can not open design of table or database diagram in SSMS 2012. I get a message "The parameter is incorrect"
I try connect to different servers and it's the same error.

I try completelly reinstall, download a fresh instalation and again reinstall, changes persmissions for services to "Local machine" but nothing help me.

I'm logged as SQL user with full rights. I also try SA user, but the same error. I'm owner of database. I have admin rights on the machine.

I have a local SQL express 2012. I also try Web edition with the same errors.

Please help me, it's very important for my work.

My configuration is:

PC:
Win7 Home Premium SP 1, Czech language

SSMS:
Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio                        11.0.2100.60
Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)                        6.1.7601.17514
Microsoft MSXML                        3.0 4.0 5.0 6.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer                        9.10.9200.16618
Microsoft .NET Framework                        4.0.30319.18047
Operating System                        6.1.7601

select @@version information:
Microsoft SQL Server 2012 - 11.0.2100.60 (X64)
    Feb 10 2012 19:39:15
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation
    Express Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

Posted by lucki2005 on 2/2/2014 at 10:46 AM
Hi Hubert,

Thanks for your reply. Currently i am also using the syntax to create tables. This is sometimes very difficult to do.

Anyone from Microsoft who could help? do you have a service pack for us to install?

Thanks
Lucki
Posted by Hubert Licman on 1/31/2014 at 6:30 AM
Hi Lucki,
no, I don't have solution. Nothing help me. I currently use for modification of tables on my computer Visual studio 2012, it works. For creating or changing diagrams I use SSMS 2012 installed on server. It also works. But SSMS 2012 on my computer don't work with table design in any case... :-(
Posted by lucki2005 on 1/31/2014 at 6:00 AM
Hi All,

I also have the same issue coming up when I try to create tables and open the designs using SSMS 2012.

Have you fixed this issue?

Lucki
Posted by Hubert Licman on 7/25/2013 at 12:06 AM
Hello Charles!
Thank you for your message. I send you the dump file via Uschovna web service becouse it was too big file. Take a look into your e-mail, You'll receive download link to the file.

Thank you in advice for your support!
Posted by Microsoft on 7/23/2013 at 6:09 PM
Hello Hubert,

I'm unable to reproduce this issue locally, the table and database designer panes work fine for me.

To try and track down what the issue is I'd like for you to get me a dump of the process. To do this follow the steps below:

Note: This assumes you're running a 64-bit version of windows. If you're running 32-bit instead then press ctrl+shift+esc to launch task manager and skip to step 3.

1. Browse to C:\Windows\SysWOW64
2. Run taskmgr.exe
3. Click the Processes tab
4. Find the SSMS process (ssms.exe) and right click on it
5. Click "Create Dump File"
6. Wait for it to finish (this could take a while)
7. A dialog will appear once it's done telling you where the *.dmp file is saved, browse there, zip up the file and move it to some temporary location

Once you've done those steps e-mail me at chgagnon@microsoft.com and we'll work to get it over to me.

Thanks,
Charles Gagnon (chgagnon@microsoft.com)

P.S. I noticed that in your description you mention that this is important for you. If time is critical I would suggest contacting Microsoft Customer Support, as items submitted through Connect are not treated as time-sensitive issues and so updates may be infrequent.
Posted by Hubert Licman on 7/22/2013 at 12:20 AM
Hello Charles!
Thak you for your message. I download a file from your link with name SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU. I completelly uninstall MS SQL, all version from my system, clearing folders, registry, etc. I make a new fresh instlation after it. But still the same result. I get a "Parameter inncorect" message when I try open table design or diagram in SSMS 2012. As "bonus" raised error in my Visual studio 2012 - I also can't open table design. I must reinstall VS 2012 professional and I can open any table in design in Visual studio SQL server object explorer . Bun not in SSMS 2012.

Have you any other tip please? I need SSMS for database diagrams - It is impossible change in VS.

Thank you in advice for your response.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/19/2013 at 3:11 PM
Hello Hubert,

Could you please install SQL Server 2012 Express with SP1 and let us know if the issue still persists?

Download link : http://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/download/details.aspx?id=35579

Thanks,
Charles Gagnon (chgagnon@microsoft.com)
Posted by Microsoft on 7/19/2013 at 2:28 PM
Hello Hubert. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We really do appreciate the feedback. We’ll investigate and get back to you.

-Walter A Jokiel, Program Manager, SQL Server (wajokiel@microsoft.com)