MDS Excel Plugin loads entities twice when launching a saved query by Chad - SWC

Opened: 7/26/2013 7:18:48 AM

My customer is having Excel plugin issues with saved queries. Every time they make a saved query for one entity and then come back later with a new workbook and try to load the saved query it always double loads two tabs with the same entity. I cannot duplicate the issue with my own machine or our own test envs. In fact, when my customer sends me their saved queries, I am able to load them without the double load issue. I've done testing with both Excel 2010 and 2013 with my own hardware resources and can't reproduce. When I go to my clients offices and watch them create and load saved queries the behavior is completely different on their laptops. Has anyone run into this issue or have any ideas on how to fix this?

Posted by Microsoft on 8/19/2013 at 10:38 AM
Chad,

It is out of appreciation for the urgency of your issue that the item on Connect was closed with the suggestion that you escalate to Support. Items reported to Connect and fixed are never released prior to the next SP of SQL. For 2012, this is several months away. If you are willing to wait that long and would prefer the issue to be solved through Connect, please say so and the item will be reactivated. Otherwise, please get in touch with Support.

-Walter A Jokiel, Program Manager, SQL Server (wajokiel@microsoft.com)
Posted by Chad - SWC on 8/15/2013 at 6:28 AM
Not sure who had the bright idea to close this issue. It is not closed and my customer continues to have issues with this bug. There is no workaround, save for not using Excel.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/29/2013 at 4:51 PM
Hello, Chad.

It sounds like the turnaround you're expecting for this issue is a little faster than a Connect item is going to get you. For urgent issues with clear business impact scenarios, it is recommended you get in touch with MS Support. If you don’t already have a local support representative, you can get more information from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295539. If we are still needed to help resolve the issue, the support staff will engage us.

-Walter A Jokiel, Program Manager, SQL Server (wajokiel@microsoft.com)
Posted by Chad - SWC on 7/29/2013 at 11:55 AM
Worked with a user on this issue more this morning and we've pinpointed that the issu happens when using the load command button after query import. This issue only happens when the load button is used from the query management popup window. Loading queries from the saved list seems to work ok. As long as we avoid using the load button we don't run into the issue thus far. The client is adamant that is issue gets fixed as they don't want to train around the bug. This is a large implementation that could get cancelled if this issue/bug isn't resolved soon!
Posted by Chad - SWC on 7/29/2013 at 6:02 AM
I added an attachment that has the MDS logs from the excel client. My customer turned on logging and then ran a saved query that double loaded. Hopefully the log can provide some insight.
File Name Submitted By Submitted On File Size