SSDT-BI: Add Visual Studio 2013 support to SQL Server Data Tools for Business Intelligence by David McClelland

Active

Type: Suggestion
Opened: 10/21/2013 10:18:44 AM

I cannot open .DTPROJ or .SMPROJ projects in Visual Studio 2013. Even though I can open the projects in VS2012, I would prefer to keep one solution open in VS2013 and not have to switch between Visual Studio instances. I looked here to see if there was a version of the SQL Server Data Tools for Business Intelligence (SSDT-BI) that is compatible with Visual Studio 2013, but did not see one listed:

Posted by Naveen Kumar T on 7/19/2014 at 10:53 PM
I have installed the SSDT BI for VS2013. Yesterday, I have updated the Visual Studio Update 2. But, After that I am not able to open the SSIS Project in the VS2013. Please Suggest me how to fix this.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/15/2014 at 2:38 PM
SSDT-BI has been released for VS 2013 http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42313

Jill
Posted by John Lawrence on 6/11/2014 at 1:14 PM
I love being the first to grab a new product version from most vendors, and most always everything works as advertised.
It has rarely ever paid off to be an early MS product adopter.
In an intense production environment, you will be rewarded every time by waiting until someone else 'shakes the product out' before you embrace it.
Posted by Microsoft on 5/23/2014 at 1:19 PM
SSDT-BI for Visual Studio 2013 has been re-released in English. It can be downloaded from: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42313. Other languages will follow soon.
Posted by Dan Woodhouse on 5/22/2014 at 8:22 AM
Please provide an update on release?!
Posted by Kenmdavisjr_ on 5/22/2014 at 7:12 AM
I am at a total work stop with several reporting and integration projects because of this. PLEASE give us an ETC Microsoft!
Posted by mtharte on 5/19/2014 at 12:33 PM
Good Grief...
Posted by winsloses on 5/15/2014 at 11:20 AM
I'm also waiting on the re-release. FYI it was out for at least a short time. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42313
Posted by Alan Campbell - Neudesic on 5/15/2014 at 10:13 AM
Any update on a release date? I've got a project waiting on this version of SSDT-BI right now.
Posted by Mario5280 on 5/10/2014 at 7:12 AM
Our project is managed in TFS 2013. Unfortunately, without VS2013 SSDT-BI, I have to manage my portion of the project separately in VS2012. The PM is rather annoyed at this disconnect and his irritation gets directed at me, the BI Developer.
Posted by Dan Woodhouse on 5/7/2014 at 7:46 AM
Any possibility of an update on a target release date? SQL 2014 has been made available over a month ago and the funny thing is there are no tools available to develop with on the BI side.
Posted by Kevin Farlee [MSFT] on 4/30/2014 at 9:31 AM
This is being actively worked. As was noted earlier in the thread, the VS2013 version of the SSDT-BI toolkit was released, but was pulled when we discovered a significant issue in side-by-side installations. This has required a lot of time and effort to fix. Rest assured that there are people here in Redmond working very hard to get it out as soon as we possibly can.
Posted by kusman on 4/24/2014 at 9:48 AM
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42313 is the download link for this, but it is currently unavailable with no date specified on when it will be available again.
Posted by Ulysses B Brown Jr on 4/23/2014 at 9:17 AM
Microsoft, this is very important. Please .... PLEASE fix this for you loyal user base that is beginning to consider alternatives and move away from this recurring Visual Studio compatibility issue ... this recurring Visual Studio compatibility issue ... this recurring Visual Studio compatibility issue ... this recurring Visual Studio compatibility issue ... with each new release of SQL Server since DTS became SSIS (what ... 10 years now). That should be enough time to resolve this recurring Visual Studio compatibility issue .... recurring Visual Studio compatibility issue, etc. to etc infinity.

VS 2013 came out ahead of SQL 2014, there's no new features in 2014 for SSIS so why didn't the team get together early in the dev cycle to make sure this would be compatible is beyond me. Someone should be ashamed ... I've upgraded to VS 2013 for dev, so why am I punished? If there were new, relevant BI features in SQL Server 2014 I would have upgraded and it would make sense.

I tell all of my Java and Oracle/MySQL friends about this great integrated environment using Microsoft, but that's simply not true.
Posted by Keno G on 4/21/2014 at 9:15 AM
Microsoft needs to read all these comments. I agree with most of them. If Visual Studio is really the flagship development product then the SQL team should make sure they are supporting the latest VS version.
Posted by allmhuran on 4/14/2014 at 5:30 PM
Stop offhsoring the development of your development tools, Microsoft. If we can't build stuff for your platform, your platform is dead, and this is, if I have conted correctly, the sixth cosecutive year that you have failed with Visual Studio and SQL Server development environments. Such incompetence.
Posted by Rob Schafer on 4/11/2014 at 1:44 PM
SSDT-BI has been temporarily removed to deal with side by side issues with SSDT-SQL. Hopefully they get this figured out soon.
Posted by LanceDelano on 4/2/2014 at 10:10 AM
SSDT-BI for VS 2013 for SQL 2014 went GA yesterday. You can find it at: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42313
Posted by ansonee on 3/26/2014 at 6:11 AM
I find it reprehensible that not ONE official Microsoft representative has commented on this!!! I'm more than certain they see just how angry people are - paying customers - at this utter lack of attention. Microsoft expects people who use their technologies to be evangelists for their products yet they absolutely refuse to acknowledge the fact that Microsoft really drops the ball when it comes to this particular product. Their utter silence can only be interpreted as "we don't give a sh*t. You'll use our products because you have to. We'll get stuff to you when we get it to you. Period."

That is a pretty sh*tty way to treat your customers...
Posted by Dave Muller on 3/16/2014 at 4:51 PM
Microsoft, this is very important because I'm switching between Visual Studio versions and there doesn't seem to be a way to make the sln file for my SSIS project open in 2012...so every time it's right click, open with...

The other annoyance is the news that 2013 SSDT BI for SSIS will only target SQL Server 2014 http://blogs.technet.com/b/dataplatforminsider/archive/2013/11/13/microsoft-sql-server-data-tools-update.aspx

There's no new features in 2014 for SSIS, so why this move? I've upgraded to VS 2013 for dev, so why am I punished? If there were new, relevant BI features in SQL Server 2014 I would have upgraded and it would make sense.

Posted by Jake_Church on 3/5/2014 at 12:26 PM
Microsoft: Please formulate a plant to ensure that releases of SQL Server AND Visual Studio remain compatible with each other. It is inconvenient and annoying to have to run multiple version of visual studio because of this issue. There doesn't seem to be a good reason for this to not work other than those teams not working well together in MS.
Posted by Megan Brooks on 3/5/2014 at 8:10 AM
The same sort of thing happened with Visual Studio 2012 (I wrote about it at http://far2go.net/2012/09/12/no-bi-projects-in-visual-studio-2012). The VS 2012 "Virtual Launch" was in September and the BI templates were released the following March. I learned about the template release from a comment posted to my blog; I don't recall ever seeing any sort of announcement.

Well, it's March again, so maybe we will be seeing a BI template release for VS 2013 soon? In the mean time, if you are developing using VS 2013 you will also need to keep around an older version of VS (either a full version or the SSDT-BI version that comes with SQL Server) if you also use the BI designers.
Posted by TheHose on 2/18/2014 at 10:17 AM
This is bull @#@#, Microsoft has wasted my time, my company's money. We now are going to have to down grade VS 2013 to VS 2008 Pro to get any work done. We paid over $1000.00 for VS 2013 pro and can't even use it. I feel a class action law suite is in order here, MS lied, did not make this fact public "We had to dig on the web for 2 days to find out we are screwed". Bill Gates is the anti-christ and he has all of us by the balls...

Fight back people....
Posted by Geoff Fane on 2/18/2014 at 8:48 AM
Sheesh....SQL and Visual Studio version getting very, very over this can you guys please, please sort this out....oh and possibly shoot the marketing guys BIDS/SSDT just rename it back to BIDS and admit that was a mistake
Posted by Joe Mascia Canada on 2/16/2014 at 6:26 PM
I am impatiently waiting for SSDT for Visual Studio 2013 as well.

If anyone needs to configure or install SSDT on Visual Studio 2012, there is a step by step guide at http://www.database.ca/blog.aspx?blogid=1025
Posted by Rob McCauley on 2/6/2014 at 6:51 AM
Related topic- Removing SSDT installer for VS 2010 is just not right.

I just installed SQL Server 2012 on a dev box, and included BIDS and management tools. The install completed, and I now have a shortcut for SSDT in my Start Menu. It launches Visual Studio 2010 shell... not VS 2012 or VS 2013. When I try to open an existing database project, it prompts me to download SSDT, takes me to a web page that informs me my VS version is no longer supported!

Huh? We pay for SQL Server 2012 and expect to be able to use the tools that come along with it.

I found the 2010 SSDTSetup.exe in the Downloads folder of a different box. Great, I can use that to complete my SSDT 2010 setup. However, this installer downloads the VS 2012 shell instead.

We are dead in the water with our development environment here, while Microsoft waits to fully integrate their IDEs.

Microsoft can you please keep SSDT 2010 going as it is part of the SQL Server 2012 license?

Microsoft, you can do better than this.
Posted by Dan Thompson (LeedsDBA) on 2/4/2014 at 11:55 AM
Couldn't agree more, it makes the BI/SQL developers/DBAs feel second-rate against the web/windows developers. Most web/windows solutions have databases don't they??
Posted by Jim R B on 1/14/2014 at 8:30 AM
I too do not understand why yet again BI projects are not supported day one in the latest release of Visual Studio.
Posted by Geoff Fane on 12/27/2013 at 9:12 AM
Its really simple if you want BI Developers to more rapidly adopt new SQL Server versions you have to provide VS support. The cherry on the top that would really get all BI developers on board would to be to consider how team based BI development can be carried out in the BI products, its still a little painful. Back in DTS times we could convert to code that made life more tolerable...anyhow yes VS2013 working 100% please. Incidentally perhaps its time for a namespace change DTS is slightly old now guys :)
Posted by Peder Rice on 12/18/2013 at 7:53 AM
Just wanted to chime in with the community that I think it's absolutely ridiculous that yet again, MS can't deliver these tools for the latest version of VS requiring me to switch between two versions.
Posted by Blaž Dakskobler on 12/11/2013 at 1:36 AM

"SSDT-BI 2014 for Visual Studio 2013 is coming, but not yet available (release date hasn’t been announced yet)"
Posted by Michael_s1 on 12/10/2013 at 7:54 AM
Any Release Date For The Data Tools For Visual Studio 2013 Support or at least new status from microsoft ??
Posted by Ian Robert Bell on 12/8/2013 at 7:08 AM
I guess this is due to silo development with differing teams having different goals and targets.
Not having BI tools for VS 2013 means having two versions installed which
is a pain , come on Microsoft , this is important to those who use the software in the
real world.
Posted by ErnestoMawan on 12/4/2013 at 7:16 AM
The same mess as in previous releases, they don't learn!!
Posted by Wilson.Shen on 12/3/2013 at 7:34 PM
Hi There,

BI Template function for VS1013 is a critical issue for us too !

Hope MS DEV Team can focus on this issue.

Regards,
Wilson
Posted by jflanner on 11/25/2013 at 4:56 AM
Here we go again. I know form Microsoft's perspective SSDT-BI adds nothing to license revenue. But Visual Studio and SQL Server (especially 2012+) certainly do. And once again BI developers/architects must maintain two solutions for one business process. Listen to your customers Microsoft. We're not asking for the world here.
Posted by RDWilsonII on 11/16/2013 at 1:41 AM
Releasing a product with a dependency on another product and that won't work properly until that other product is released is something I would expect from a small, start-up company, especially if the second product will not be released for several months. It displays a lack of concern for the user base and an arrogance that is offensive enough to cause that user base to begin looking for a replacement product. BIML is looking more viable as a replacement for SSIS!
Posted by DS19 on 11/14/2013 at 6:50 AM
According with http://blogs.technet.com/b/dataplatforminsider/archive/2013/11/13/microsoft-sql-server-data-tools-update.aspx the new SSDT-BI it will be available when SQL Server 2014 will be released.
Posted by Hansjörg Reister on 11/9/2013 at 3:59 AM
The chaos of having several versions of VS installed on the same machine that have different compatability with TFS is BAD! For me even the VS 2012 version of SDDT-BI is unusable as it has MAJOR errors, espacially the fidget moving of components and the awfull "fly to the moon" bug when moving components that touch the corners.
With the current support level SSIS is not first choice for the future any more.
Posted by RobertV on 11/7/2013 at 11:58 AM
This page suggest VS 2013 can open report server projects:

However opening them returns the unsupported project type error. Seems the documentation is not even accurate if it relies on the unreleased add-in. very confusing.
Posted by James D. Legan on 11/5/2013 at 12:49 PM
While not adding to the productivity of this discussion, I find it so alarming that companies like Red-Gate (ANTS Performance and Memory Profiler and .NET Reflector), Telerik (Controls for WinForms, WPF, ASP.NET, MVC and an ORM) and Resharper (deep IDE integration) - all of which I rely on day to day to do my job can have their products available at launch but Microsoft consistently fails to do so with SSDT BI. They really need to get these development teams in sync so as to not prevent those that develop Microsoft solutions from leveraging advances in their own IDE's from being able to migrate.
Posted by DS19 on 10/29/2013 at 4:32 AM
The most annoying thing is that nobody from MSFT is giving an ETA for SSDT-BI for VS2013. In this way all migration plans are postponed until this half-baked product is really finished.
Posted by Dávid Vágó on 10/29/2013 at 3:07 AM
We also like to keep stuff belonging to a single project in a single solution, thus we end up with solutions having all of Web, WCF, SSRS and SSAS projects in them. I remember the VS2005 => VS2008 and VS2008 => VS2010 migration was also quite hard because of this issue. I also remember with every single VS release in the past that many people were complaining here on Connect about the unavailability of BI tools at a new VS version launch. I would have hoped that MS had learnt from history and would not make the same mistake with VS2013, but I was wrong. I also hoped two weeks ago that with the recent launch of SQL 2014 CTP2, we'd get at least a pre-release version of BI tools for VS2013, but I was wrong again. I hope this issue gets addressed soon (at latest with the next pre-release of SQL 2014, but hopefully earlier) as constantly switching between two VS versions while you're developing something which combines OLAP data with Web visualization can be really annoying.
Posted by Vairam V on 10/28/2013 at 12:50 PM
The SSDT tools and BI project support priorities is so low on MSFT radar, it is time to identify alternatives or delay VS migration...
Posted by Paul Bunting on 10/24/2013 at 8:00 AM
SSDT BI for SQL 2014 (CTP2) was released on 14th Oct - but it still uses the VS2012 Shell - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40736
Posted by Vesselin Obreshkov on 10/24/2013 at 7:38 AM
It would be unfortunate if they don't release SSDT-BI for VS2013 - we can't really use it either as we require the BI tools to open our solutions...
Posted by michael_bru on 10/24/2013 at 7:17 AM
Has anyone from MS acknowledged that thiis product will continue in 2013 and beyond? If history repeats itself, it was 8+ months after VS2012 that SSIS was available http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/f800376f-c782-4500-8423-22fb1374cae4/visual-studio-2012-ultimate-business-intelligence?forum=vssetup
Posted by Weeder on 10/24/2013 at 2:38 AM
Please could you provide the tools for VS 2013
Posted by Maxime Rouiller on 10/22/2013 at 6:40 AM
We're at a client right now. I'm opening the solution in VS2013, cannot open one project because it's an SSIS project.

When will the SQL Server team be in sync with Visual Studio releases? If I believe what I see in the past, there won't be any update to the BIDS tools for VS2013. Can this be addressed?

We have clients working on older version of Visual Studio for something as simple as a BIDS project. Customer won't install 2 versions of the tooling on the same machine at the same time. This is preventing Visual Studio upgrade scenario.
Posted by nlm1914 on 10/21/2013 at 3:26 PM
I also believe this would be beneficial. As most of my solutions be it windows, or web have reports in them and database items, I always prefer doing all my development in 1 tool, not having to use multiple versions of visual studio. So I always end up using the older version of VS until the newer one allows me to do all my development in it, then I upgrade the entire project to the new development environment.
Posted by Bryan R. Morris on 10/21/2013 at 2:10 PM
I can't migrate my VS 2012 Web App project to VS 2013 because it has SSRS report projects in it. The inclusion of this should be a slam dunk and yet it nowhere to be found. This needs to be addressed NOW.
Posted by Paul23 on 10/21/2013 at 10:37 AM
It is confusing that SSDT comes in two pieces which are independently installed and updated, and hosted in different VS versions. Either unify the code to a single tool, or give the two independent tools names that don't sound alike. Masquerading as a single tool in name only just makes it more difficult for developers to understand.

I preferred Microsoft's old approach where development tool updates were rolled out together, at the same time. I realize that slows the release and makes Microsoft's job harder since release is gated by the slowest tool development, but it makes development workstation setup so much easier that I would much prefer that. I don't like having to keep track of where to get which new version of which tool and which VS to use for each development task and how to keep each piece updated. I don't like needing multiple VS versions. I don't like having to install older VS versions on a new workstation. I don't like having multiple Help versions, each needing to be kept updated, since each VS version seems to require its own help system.
Posted by Randy Gephart on 10/21/2013 at 10:33 AM
Even in comments in forums currently this is treated as an optional component. SSDTBI is not an optional component if Microsoft desires to keep SSIS relevant. SSIS has always been behind the rest of Microsoft technology, but has finally lined itself up to remain current and relevant. I really hope that this is slated to release by the official November 13th go-live date of VS2013.
Posted by Realsirocco on 6/25/2014 at 4:14 AM
It has finally been released!!!

Worth noting though its for SQL 2014. All 2008 R2 (I think) onwards projects open and work fine without upgrading with the exception of SSIS which is not backwards compatible and will upgrade your projects to SQL server 2014, see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/analysisservices/archive/2014/04/02/sql-server-data-tools-business-intelligence-for-visual-studio-2013-ssdt-bi.aspx.
This however confuses me somewhat as according to the what new in SQL Server 2014 SSIS has not changed from 2012 (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb500435.aspx) so I see no reason to not allow 2012 onwards to be supported!