SQL Server Management Studio 2012 / 2014 CTP2 on high DPI have visual problems by Luca Looz

Active

Opened: 11/12/2013 1:17:59 PM

Hi,
i'm using Windows 8.1 on a retina display and using dpi scaling at 200%.
Both SSMS 2012 SP1 and SSMS 2014 CTP2 have visual problems, such as: texts and icons not scaled, strange form layouts etc etc
I have already tried to enable "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" but it doesn't change anything.
Visual Studio 2013 works fine.
Posted by Paul Wade on 5/14/2014 at 7:28 AM
Same issue with ssms for me. all the popups are huge and it doesn't resize when I move it between monitors of different dpi's like other applications do. Its very disappointing. Windows itself still has issues the task bar on my high dpi monitor is tiny but its normal on the low dpi monitors.
Posted by Fabico on 4/4/2014 at 8:09 AM
Same issues with SQL 2014 RTM (MSDN) :-(
Posted by Thomas B_ on 4/4/2014 at 2:09 AM
There is another connect feedback which have been closed : http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/764009/ssms-does-not-display-properly-in-high-dpi

It's a shame, really... When you watch //build conference and the sessions done aboud "making desktop apps high-dpi aware..." and yet ssms is still a way behind (still using VS 2010 shell is okay, but at least for a valid reason !)
Posted by Clibbz0r on 2/18/2014 at 5:43 PM
I have exactly the same issue. It's disappointing to see no comment from MS =[
Posted by zaleb1 on 12/5/2013 at 9:47 AM
I too just started running at 200% DPI locally and consequently have also raised the DPI of my RDP sessions. The 'Locate Backup File' dialog when attempting to restore a database is completely unusable at 175%+ and barely usable at 150%. I can deal with most everything else but not being able to restore a backup from a specific file via the UI is infuriating. I'm sure there are other key dialogs that are completely unusable and I'm sure I'll find them in the next few days - can we at least get a hotfix to address elements are literally invisible/inaccessible?
Posted by cabichandani on 11/28/2013 at 1:52 PM
I'm getting this problem on my Surface Pro 2. It's a 10.6" display at 1920x1080, and the text size slider is all the way to the right by default.

The "Restore Database" dialog, for example, is so large that the OK button is not visible on the screen! It's a flashback to the old days when you were stuck at 640x480 with an app that required more screen space.
Posted by Bryan James Ross on 11/14/2013 at 11:29 AM
Same issue here.
Posted by Nick_Craver on 11/14/2013 at 11:26 AM
I have the same issues at 200% DPI Scaling. SQL Management Studio 2012 operates fine, but 2014 CTP2 does not render correctly. Here are some images showing the severely limited usability at a higher DPI http://i.imgur.com/b8W09Ey.png http://i.imgur.com/0FTfZ8X.png

All of our developers on MacBooks and other high DPI devices are experiencing the same regression when upgrading from SQL 2012 to SQL 2014 CTP2.