Custom Windows Embedded CE 6.0 SDK fails to install by Michael Koster

as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

Opened: 9/11/2007 11:31:20 PM

A SDK rolled using Windows Embedded CE 6.0 Platform Builder (SP1) fails to install properly.
The very same SDK can be installed successfully on a PC with Visual Studio 2005 installed.
Posted by Sven Stähs on 3/10/2011 at 3:55 AM
Same problem here.
Windows XP Professional with VS2008 installed

Solved by excluding "Documentation" from install (the SDK contains native C++ support only).
Posted by PeterFnet on 1/27/2011 at 8:20 AM
Able to reproduce with Windows7 x86_64. I used the workaround to remove .Net and Documentation. I only have VS2008 installed
Posted by Andy Wigley on 4/22/2010 at 2:43 AM
This problem is easily reproduced on a target which has VS2008 installed, but not VS2005.

The solution is not to do a custom install of Visual Studio with .NET Compact Framework removed, but to select the 'Custom Install' button on the opening screen of the installer of your custom SDK. If you then deselect 'Documentation', the custom SDK installs successfully.
Posted by İsmail Dönmez on 1/6/2010 at 6:17 AM
This bug is easily reproducable on Windows 7 with Visual Studio 2008. Please re-open.
Posted by CharlieArcuri on 8/7/2008 at 8:08 PM
I did a "Custom Install" and disabled **BOTH** .NET Compact Framework **AND** Documentation and it finally installed for me.
Vista Enterprise SP1
VS2008

Disabling _only_ the .NET Compact Framework still resulted in the IHxFilters errors for me.
Posted by Sue Loh - MSFT on 5/27/2008 at 9:57 AM
Apologies, but on later thought I think having VS2008 is probably not the problem. VS2005 and VS2008 should both probably work.
Posted by Sue Loh - MSFT on 5/27/2008 at 9:43 AM
The other possibility is that you may need to install the "smart device programmability" feature of Visual Studio before you can use a custom SDK.
Posted by Sue Loh - MSFT on 5/27/2008 at 9:15 AM
Neither VS-Orcas (VS2008) nor Windows Server 2003 is supported by Windows CE 6.0... I'm not sure if those are the problem but try XP or Vista with VS2005.
Posted by Paul C Roberts on 3/17/2008 at 10:24 AM
Uninstalling 'Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration' did not fix this problem for me.
Posted by Michael Koster on 9/12/2007 at 9:46 AM
Hi

The installation only fails when the 'Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration' is installed.
After uninstalling this package, the SDK installed fine.
Posted by Microsoft on 9/12/2007 at 2:28 AM
Hi

Thanks for your feedback.
Could you please provide a link to the SDK file you installed?
And we will re-investigete.
We are temporarily closing the bug based on the process. It can be reactivated anytime once we get required information to further investigate it.

Visual Studio Product Team
Posted by Microsoft on 9/12/2007 at 2:00 AM
Thank you for your feedback. We are currently investigating. If this issue is urgent, please call support directly (see http://support.microsoft.com). Thank you, Visual Studio Product Team.
Posted by cheesesarnie on 6/1/2011 at 3:20 AM
I used Sven Stähs' workaround (don't install documentation) for Windows 7 64 Bit, VS2010, and it also solved the problem for me.

Posted by Sven Stähs on 3/10/2011 at 3:57 AM
On WinXP Prof, VS2008:

When installing the MSI:
- choose custom install
- unselect "Documentation" from the components to install

(Tested SDK does not contain .NET CF, so I was unable to verify that)
Posted by CharlieArcuri on 8/7/2008 at 8:09 PM
Vista Enterprise SP1
VS2008

Posted by Paul C Roberts on 3/17/2008 at 10:41 AM
When installing the MSI, choose a custom install, then unselect .Net Compact Framework from the components to install. Installtion is then successful