TFS: Undo your check out, but keep changes like VSS allows us to do. by mcdonaldn

Resolved
 as By Design Help for as By Design

Type: Suggestion
Opened: 10/8/2007 8:40:47 AM

In VSS users can "Undo Check Out" and choose "Leave" local changes. As of right now, I think users are making full backups of files as when they do "Undo Pending Changes" in TFS, their local files are replaced with the server files. Now you could argue VSS gave the user too much flexibility, but I'm not here to argue, I'm must relying information back from what users are doing. Personally, I think providing a "Leave" function is fine like VSS does today.
Posted by TranDev on 3/1/2012 at 2:46 PM
Could you please post here if that worked? I'm having the same situation that we checked out a config file and made some changes to connect to our dev/testing environment so I don't want to overwrite the productions settings. In the past we used to be able to "Undo Check-out" and keep the changes in local copy, but we don't have that option with TFS.

Thanks!
Posted by mcdonaldn on 10/26/2007 at 11:06 AM
Thanks Matt. I'll have to give that a try. I'm guessing what the user would have to do is.

1) Add changes to shelveset
2) Undo Pending Changes.
3) Unselve changes to workspace so they have the changes back.

I'll give this a shot.
Posted by Microsoft Connect on 10/23/2007 at 2:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback.  It sounds like you might benefit from shelvesets (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181403(VS.80).aspx) - they give you the ability to undo something in your workspace but preserve the changes.
-Matt, PM, TFS