Microsoft (R) Visual Basic Compiler has stopped working by David Gardiner

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 11/2/2007 9:43:33 PM

"Microsoft (R) Visual Basic Compiler has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

Visual Studio crashes with this error as soon as I load my solution.

I have allowed memory dumps to be submitted a couple of times yesterday via Windows Error Reporting.

The code that appears to trigger this issue uses the latest release of Rhino Mocks mocking framework, and in particular a feature that allows dealing with "void" methods.

I have repro'd this on Vista and also on XP SP2 inside Virtual PC.
Posted by J. Phinney on 1/27/2012 at 1:05 PM
I kept getting this error under the same conditions. hatSamIam's workaround resolved the error for me. I'd recommend that everyone give it a try!
Posted by hatSamIam on 12/1/2011 at 6:45 PM
My system and symptoms are the same as Blackninja2007. My workaround was to delete the solution's suo file.
Posted by Mike_Baldini on 1/20/2010 at 3:15 PM
I am having this same issue. I have been completely unable to get into my solution for 3 days now. The bosses are not too happy about this, since release date is less than 90 days away....
Posted by Blackninja2007 on 12/14/2009 at 12:21 AM
I am also suffering with this issue, using VS2008 and Windows 7 x64. It appears to happen everytime I leave a form with a user control open when i close VB down. Next time i open vb i get the compiler error. Running all latest service packs both in VS and windows.

Any help would be appreciaited as this does not appear "Fixed" as indicated above.

Posted by Blackninja2007 on 12/14/2009 at 12:17 AM
I am also suffering with this issue.

Posted by SeanJ_2173 on 10/28/2009 at 1:46 PM
I am in the same boat as Jason. I am running Windows 7.
Posted by JasonMore1 on 10/23/2009 at 8:14 AM
I am also having this problem, but I noticed that the comment "fixed it for the next service pack." was mentioned, but I have not seen any service pack 2 for visual studio 2005. Is there a hot fix for this available?
Posted by Microsoft on 12/18/2007 at 9:53 AM
Hi Dave,

Thank you for providing the repro files; it made it easy to pin this down. This is a defect in the shipping product. I have fixed it for the next service pack. My apologies that you encountered this issue and my thanks for providing us with the information so we could take care of it.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/5/2007 at 5:55 PM
Thanks for your feedback. We are escalating this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.

Visual Studio Product Team
Posted by David Gardiner on 11/5/2007 at 1:03 AM
I've attached a sample project for you to reproduce the problem with.

-dave
Posted by Microsoft on 11/4/2007 at 11:27 PM
Thanks for reporting the issue.
In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the infomation you provided.
It may help if you provide us with:

1. a demo project file
2. more exact steps to repro the issue.
3. if possible, please provide us minidump files.

If we do not receive a response from you after 7-days , we will automatically close your issue. There is no obligation to respond -- at any time you may edit your issue via Connect and change the status to “Active.”

Visual Studio Product Team
Posted by Andreas Birgerson on 2/4/2010 at 4:54 AM
Delete all files in your /bin directories (this gets regenerated when you compile) I also deleted the <solution>.suo file that contains the individual developer settings for the project, don't know if this was a necessary step. Then restarted VS2008, loaded the solution, right-clicked on the solution and selected "clean solution" followed by "build solution".