Visual Studio 2008 RTM Search Crashes by Daniel Guenter

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 11/21/2007 1:38:38 PM
Duplicates: 337031

Every time I try to search (Ctrl - F) within the Visual Studio 2008 RTM IDE it crashes. This happens even with a brand new empty project. It also happens to the other developer in my team who installed VS2008 RTM. BTW we are both using Windows Server 2003 X64. Upon examination of the event logs I can see this error.

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    Microsoft Visual Studio
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    1000
Date:        11/21/2007
Time:        2:31:00 PM
User:        N/A
Computer:    AB01-WRK-DEV04
Description:
Faulting application devenv.exe, version 9.0.21022.8, stamp 47317b3d, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, stamp 00000000, debug? 0, fault address 0x00031a0c.

Posted by Stefan Monov on 7/6/2010 at 12:56 AM
Today I started getting this problem out of nowhere. I installed SP1 for VS2008 and that fixed it. There was no need for downloading a separate "hotfix".
Note that I am *not* currently running UltraMon or any other multimonitor utilities.
Posted by Newby1Canuby on 6/16/2008 at 7:50 PM
        I have x86 and I have the same problem as discussed above I tried to repair the registry and now VS2008 does not work at all
    This all started sfter IUpdated to Beta and Mistakenly installed IIS7 in myXP sp3 system I removed IIS7 and replaxced with IIS 6 but to no avail When I called Microsoft to ask if they may have some suggestion I was told I had to pay $289.00 to talk to someone , and not necessarilly get the problem fixed .... After spending money on Vstudio 2008 ,and the web sofyware in my system there is no money for this.
     Visual 2008 was blinking on and off some programs would not close . I ran a virus scan with Avast and norten nothong wrong but 1 cookie
Should I remove the software and start over? I cannot afford to rebuy I already invested in a ASP>net website
Posted by Gael.Fraiteur on 5/26/2008 at 11:32 PM
Still crashes, even after installing 2008 SP1 Beta.
Posted by Microsoft on 5/12/2008 at 12:21 PM
If you're having problems getting the patch, you can now install VS 2008 SP1 Beta from (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=CF99C752-1391-4BC3-BABC-86BC0B9E8E5A&displaylang=en) to get the fix.

Thanks!
-Sean Laberee
Posted by derigel on 4/3/2008 at 3:08 AM
It's not only affected XP/2003. I am experiencing the same problem (Ctrl+Shift+F crash) on Vista Ultimate x64.
Posted by Silmaril1 on 3/16/2008 at 3:08 PM
u can request hotfix here https://support.microsoft.com/contactus2/emailcontact.aspx?scid=sw;en;1414&WS=hotfix
just type 947841 in "Product and version affected" textbox
Posted by Dana Comolli on 3/12/2008 at 7:42 AM
I have been on with support and they say the KB947841 is a confidential KB and that the fix is for Server 2003 only. You have to insist on having it provided to you if you are using XP. But once you get it, the actual file is WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB947841-x64-ENU.exe and it solves the problem.
Posted by 007DeeJay on 3/10/2008 at 8:14 AM
I also contacted Microsoft support and didn't get any help without a KB id. I was redirected to the Visual Studio hotfix support and left on hold for over 10 minutes so I hung up and contacted Sean (who left his email above). I haven't gotten the hotfix yet but someone is at least working on it now.
Posted by Hiroyasu Tanabe on 3/7/2008 at 12:45 AM
I'm in trouble with this problem, so I want to get HotFix Id 947841.
But I requested to online support in Japan, he replied that "a KB Document Number is needed".

Does 'HotFix Id 947841' have a KB Document Number? I can't find it by search engines.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/13/2008 at 3:51 PM
I've received a few emails from customers reporting that they could not get the patch because it was no longer available. I've confirmed that this is not the case and I'm trying to track down what the problem is. If you experience a problem getting the patch, please get the full name of the support rep & our service request number and email that to me so that I can help resolve the issue.

Thanks!
-Sean Laberee
Posted by Microsoft on 2/5/2008 at 3:54 PM
A quick update on the windows patch. I've confirmed with our support team that if you call in for this hotfix you will not be charged. They will set up a "Hot Fix" case for you. I've also received a report that there was some confusion as to whether this fix is for Win2003 or XP. I've confirmed that this fix does in fact apply to both releases.

If you have any problems let me know (s e a n l a @ m i c r o s o f t . c o m).

Thanks
-Sean Laberee
Posted by Mitch Russell on 2/3/2008 at 5:30 PM
Hi Everyone

I was in touch with someone at Microsoft and they said they'll be working on getting this fix posted online soon, as well, they confirmed that you DO NOT have to pay the service fee when requesting a known hot fix, so just call Windows XP support and request it, and it should be free of charge.

Thanks
Mitch
Posted by Marcin Kosieradzki on 2/2/2008 at 6:11 AM
You just need to call tech support. It seems that obtaining hotfix is free (at least for Partners, but I suppose everybody can obtain it). I have just downloaded it.
Posted by mike_lockyer on 2/1/2008 at 12:13 AM
Please can someone just provide a link s we can download this bug fix.

It is very odd that MS are trying to charge for a fix to their faulty software

Mike
Posted by Mitch Russell on 1/31/2008 at 11:22 PM
Sean Laberee - How can I get Windows Hotfix ID 947841? They want $60 to contact support by email, and I'm not paying for a hot fix that should be posted somewhere for free.. Please let us know where we can download this fix, it's a huge pain in the rear :\
Posted by Microsoft on 1/31/2008 at 12:17 PM
If you are experiencing this issue you will need to contact Microsoft Customer Service & Support (http://support.microsoft.com) and ask for the Windows Hotfix with ID 947841. Please note that this is a patch applies to Windows and not Visual Studio. If you have any difficulty in obtaining the patch ask the CSS representative to contact me (Sean Laberee).

I am also pleased to announce that we have created a workaround in VS 2008 SP1 which eliminates this problem and the need for the patch. That workaround is queued for checkin to our build process and will be available in the Beta of the service pack.

Thanks!
-Sean Laberee
Program Manager - VS Platform team.
Posted by mike_lockyer on 1/28/2008 at 10:20 AM
Any chance for a fix that we can test ?

been waiting a long time for this and development is stalled

Mike
Posted by Oisín Grehan on 1/28/2008 at 8:27 AM
This screws developers using remote desktop to develop on win64 also -- RDP uses global hooks on the server end. Doh.

This is nasty -- it's now over a month since the announcement of the hotfix testing - whats going on MS?

Posted by BennyXNO on 1/16/2008 at 1:48 AM
How does the testing go, i need to search. I found that if i close all documents, i'm able to search. But if i forget, the system crashes.
Posted by Andeezle on 1/10/2008 at 9:17 AM
Can't wait for that hotfix. This issue is a royal pain.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/8/2008 at 10:54 AM
Quick update - we're currently testing a fix for Windows XP x64 and Windows Server 2003 x64 that resolves this issue. We'll post back here when the hotfix is available for download.

thanks,
Ken Watson - Visual Studio Platform
Posted by Steffan Nicholson on 12/20/2007 at 6:02 AM
Nvidia display drivers on XP 64 and Find crashes VWD 2008 — hopefully the post two weeks ago wont be the last we hear of a hotfix as I can't stand working on my old P4 system because of this.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/6/2007 at 10:45 AM
Thanks for your help in reproducing this issue.

It turns out that this crash is the result of a bug in the Wow64 layer of Windows x64 (XP/2003 – it has been fixed in Vista x64) and only manifests itself when another app globally hooks all Windows messages.

We’ve heard of Ultramon, NVidia drivers and Logitech drivers triggering the issue – all these apps globally hook Windows messages. (To be clear, the issue doesn’t sit with these 3rd party apps.)

I’m currently working with the Windows servicing folks to get a hotfix produced.

thanks,
Ken Watson - Visual Studio Platform
Posted by avdim on 12/6/2007 at 2:41 AM
Update: After closing Logitech SetPoint software crashes stopped. (version 4.00.126)
Posted by avdim on 12/6/2007 at 2:31 AM
The same crashes on XP x64 after just installing nVidia device drivers. All nView features are disabled. Simply open VS 2008 and select “Find in Files”.
Hardware configuration is Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit AB9 Pro, NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT (256 MB).
We were planning to migrate our projects to VS 2008 but it is impossible until this bug will be fixed.
This thread describes the same issue

Posted by lexp on 12/1/2007 at 6:16 PM
Update: Shift+Ctrl+F crashes only if at least one .sql file is opened in editor
Posted by lexp on 12/1/2007 at 6:03 PM
I've found that "Find in files" command always crashes if at least one file is opened in editor.
Posted by PeterMuc on 11/29/2007 at 10:36 AM
Same Problem with VS 2008 PRO RTM and Ultramon on Win 2K3 X64.
Posted by Marcin Kosieradzki on 11/29/2007 at 5:25 AM
Maybe it is related to 8 cores (I use 2 x Quad Core Xeon)?
Posted by Marcin Kosieradzki on 11/29/2007 at 5:13 AM
I am using Windows 2003 Server x64 without any Desktop Management Software. We use terminal services... Which can be somehow related...
Posted by Klom Dark on 11/27/2007 at 10:47 AM
I experienced the same issue on Windows XP x64 edition, running dual monitors with NVidia's nView Desktop Manager. Hit CTRL-F on any file opened in VS2008 and it crashed. Going into the nView Desktop Manager panel, selecting the Desktop Management tab, and clicking the button to disable all feature made the problem go away.
Posted by Daniel Guenter on 11/27/2007 at 9:38 AM
If you are using MultiMon you don't have to shut it off completely. You just need to right click on the extra task bar, go to properties and uncheck "Insert Caption Button". This just removes the little icon for shunting windows between the monitors. I'm not sure but UltraMon may have a similar option.
Posted by EgotisticalElf on 11/26/2007 at 12:07 PM
I also run UltraMon here, I closed it down and I no longer experience the crash. Any fix would be greatly appreciated.
Posted by Daniel Guenter on 11/23/2007 at 1:25 PM
It would seem that this issue is triggered by other external factors. For me it was the multimonitor program called MultiMon. http://www.mediachance.com/free/multimon.htm It adds a small button for moving a window between monitors, and it appears that this triggers the crash. I have seen where for other people it was caused by a different 3rd party program.

I hope this helps in reproducing the problem.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/23/2007 at 2:33 AM
Thanks for your response. We are escalating this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.

Visual Studio Product Team
Posted by Daniel Guenter on 11/22/2007 at 9:37 AM
I have dumped the crash but I can't attach the files because the upload keeps timing out. So I have put the dump files on my webserver.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you reproduce the error. If you need an RDP connection to a broken machine, I can provide that.

Thanks
Posted by EgotisticalElf on 11/22/2007 at 9:17 AM
the URL is slightly wrong. here is the corrected one.
http://bryan.a.aldrich.googlepages.com/vs2008crash.part<num>.rar (num == 1 through 11)
Posted by EgotisticalElf on 11/22/2007 at 9:16 AM
I created a dump (w/ heap) for visual studio 2008 (using visual studio 2008) and uploaded it to my website.

The files are located here:

where <num> is 01 through 11 (11 total files).

Also submitted via the crash dialog was 5 or 6 crashes.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/22/2007 at 1:48 AM
Thanks for reporting the issue.
In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided. We tried to repro on the following platform:

1. windows server 2008 x64 with VS 2008 Team Suite RTM
2. windows xp sp2 with VS 2008 Pro RTM

It may help if you provide us with:

1. more snapshots
2. dump files.

Detailed steps to capture dump files.
1. Download the Debugging Tools from Windows from http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx and install. Assume that you copy it to “C:\Debuggers”.
2. Open a command line prompt. Close all unnecessary applications.
3. Try to reproduce the problem.
4. Before VS IDE crashes , execute the following command at the command line prompt:
cscript C:\Debuggers\adplus.vbs -crash -FullOnFirst -pn devenv.exe –o C:\Dump
Dump file will be generated at “C:\Dump” and it usually takes several hundred MB. Make sure that you have sufficient disk space.
5. After VS IDE crash, please go to the folder “C:\Dump”. There can be multiple .DMP files. If their size are huge, please add the first .DMP file sorted by the timestamp (e.g. the first .DMP file captured) to a zip and upload it to the workspace:

If we do not receive a response from you after 7-days , we will automatically close your issue. There is no obligation to respond -- at any time you may edit your issue via Connect and change the status to “Active.”

Visual Studio Product Team
Posted by EgotisticalElf on 11/21/2007 at 9:04 PM
This is the same as 311326. It does not appear to happen with the x86 edition of the OS, just the x64 ones.
Posted by Raptor_Claw on 12/4/2008 at 10:19 AM
Disabled both SetPoint and UltraMon , and search still doesn't function. ( Wouldn't have mattered anyway, both programs are essential to my work, I prefer doing searches in notepad than having to shut down any of them). I am astonished that noone fixed this problem, with it being around for 1 whole year already.
Posted by ovatsus on 3/9/2008 at 8:29 AM
Another problem that causes problem is AQTime. I uninstalled it the problem was gone
Posted by web-coder on 3/6/2008 at 4:42 PM
OK I too terminated the Logitech SetPoint utility (visible as a tiny icon on the RHS og my taskbar). I then started VS 2008 and found that the searching etc all works fine.Win Server 2k3 x64
Posted by Oisín Grehan on 1/28/2008 at 8:25 AM
It appears working via Remote Desktop (e.g. vs2008 is on a remote 64bit server) has the same effect of crashing on CTRL+F. I guess the RDP server must use global hooks too.

Posted by Steven Wilmot on 1/16/2008 at 2:25 PM
I also had the same problem
WinXP64
No UltraMon installed
Did have nVidia drivers (but actually only one monitor)
VS2008 crashes on Ctrl-F

This was part of the reason I decided to try a clean machine re-install.

When doing this, I noticed newer nVidia drivers (dated 19.12.2007)

Possibly just a coincidence, but might be worth a try) ...

Posted by Captain Kernel on 1/14/2008 at 9:10 AM
Posted by Ken Burch on 1/11/2008 at 10:32 AM
Closing Ultramon has just stopped the problem happening for me.
Posted by sgillbee on 1/10/2008 at 5:23 PM
I was able to workaround this problem with UltraMon on XP x64. Open UltraMon Options, navigate to the "Buttons and Menu Commands" tab. Disable all buttons and menu commands.

No more crash. Whoopee!
Posted by Andeezle on 12/14/2007 at 9:28 AM
BTW, I'm running Setpoint.exe v4.0.126.0. And even though by closing setpoint the VS problem goes away, this is still an important issue needing a hotfix b/c w/o my special mouse button functions no longer function when setpoint is disabled...
Posted by Andeezle on 12/14/2007 at 9:24 AM
WHOA!!! I too exited my mem resident, logitech mouse, setpoint software and so far the problem disappeared... -andeezle
Posted by lexp on 12/1/2007 at 6:00 PM
To search in files (Ctrl+Shift+F) without crash close all opened windows in VS.
Posted by Paul Frederikson on 11/29/2007 at 6:13 PM
I have been getting the same problem with VS2008 RTM for Developers edition. I am running Win Server 2k3 x64 on multiple monitors but not using any Desktop Management products.

I was able to get the error to stop by closing the Logitech Mouse and Keyboard Settings app (currently running version 3.0.107 of SetPoint).

Posted by Klom Dark on 11/27/2007 at 10:51 AM
Looks like disabling any third party desktop management cures the problem. (NVidia nView, UltraMon, MultiMon)

Curious if this problem only occurs on multiple monitor systems?