No usable controls in toolbox when developing for Compact Framework by TimbNZ

as Won't Fix Help for as Won't Fix

Opened: 1/13/2008 10:03:44 PM

I have just upgraded from VS 2005 to VS 2008.
When I create a new project (or open an existing project) to be run on a desktop computer the Toolbox is populated,

BUT when I create a new project (or open an existing project) to be run on Windows Mobile 5 I get "There are no usable controls in this group. Drag an item onto this text to add it to the toolbox."

This is when I am viewing a form, so I should be able to add controls from the toolbox.

When I used "Show All" all tools were grayed out... even though I used to be allowed to use controls from this view.
Posted by AdelFazel on 3/20/2012 at 7:04 AM
I think you were in debugging mode! just need to build again/finish debugging!
Posted by LangstonMontgomery on 12/7/2011 at 10:38 AM
The workaround of deleting the .tbd files worked like a charm. Thanks!
Posted by theodoreb on 8/9/2010 at 12:38 PM
Thanks again, the command line tool worked for me as well.
Posted by sutton2k9 on 4/28/2010 at 9:08 AM
tryed this
cmd /c start /wait devenv /setup /resetuserdata /selfreg /resetskippkgs
nothin i says "devenv" not found lol i am windows 7 any help??
Posted by cbog on 2/21/2010 at 10:00 AM
cmd /c start /wait devenv /setup /resetuserdata /selfreg /resetskippkgs

works for me too! Thank you!
Posted by simseko on 6/5/2009 at 12:59 AM
this is perfect, thanks a lot...
Posted by krishnanSRM on 12/12/2008 at 7:00 PM
Great suggestion. It worked for me
Posted by Asya1 on 8/25/2008 at 2:59 PM
Many thanks
cmd /c start /wait devenv /setup /resetuserdata /selfreg /resetskippkgs
really help...

But it would be useful to know exact reason.
Posted by Microsoft on 5/7/2008 at 10:16 AM
Hi , we were unable to reproduce this internally, there might be some issue either with the old project settings or the Visual Studio setup.

Can you provide us with the details of old project settings ? Alternatively you can try resetting the user data by running the following command from command prompt (Read the note after it before running) :

cmd /c start /wait devenv /setup /resetuserdata /selfreg /resetskippkgs

Note : You will lose all your environment settings and customizations by the above command, so please make sure you take a backup of your environment settings by exporting them before running the above command. Close all the VS instances before running the command. The command takes a couple of minutes to complete - wait till then and then reopen the Visual studio to see if the issue persists.

Thanks.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/14/2008 at 1:09 AM
Thanks for your feedback. We are escalating this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.

Visual Studio Product Team
Posted by TimbNZ on 1/13/2008 at 10:28 PM
Adapted from: http://www.msdner.com/dev-archive/50/11-34-504014.shtm

1. Close Visual Studio (make sure devenv.exe is not running)

2. Open the folder c:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\

3. There should be four files ending in .tbd